Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 7,061 to 7,080 of 10,082

LtSarge

@MightyDemon82 The problem with Wii U exclusives is that they're so overpriced on the Switch that I wouldn't recommend them.

If you're into JRPGs, there are some good exclusive ones like Fire Emblem: Three Houses (strategy RPG with Persona social sim elements) and Xenoblade Chronicles (kinda real-time, kinda turn-based JRPG with sprawling open worlds to explore and epic stories to experience).

I've been mostly using my Switch as a JRPG/indie games machine. There haven't been many Nintendo exclusives that I've been interested in that I haven't already played but the next couple of months are looking to change that. Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstars (with online multiplayer), Pokémon Diamond/Pearl remakes, Shin Megami Tensei V and so on.

Oh and I believe there's a Danganronpa collection coming out on the Switch in December. If you're interested in playing some of the best visual novels ever made then I'd recommend getting that collection.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Octane

@MightyDemon82 I've personally enjoyed Splatoon a lot. It's a pretty big deal, so worth looking into. There's the popular games like Pokemon and Animal Crossing. I also have to mention Pikmin 3, that's one of my favourites, though I've played it on the Wii U.

I'm personally a bit tired of the 5 hour 2D platformers from Nintendo, like Kirby and Yoshi, so I wouldn't recommend those. Not worth it IMO. Call me when they do another Donkey Kong.

Octane

MightyDemon82

@Octane @LtSarge thanks guys I'll definitely look into those. Will be nice to have another machine on the go especially when I have nieces and nephews staying over. They watch some awful filth on the tablet and play stuff like Roblox, I'd feel happier putting the switch in their hands knowing what they are playing. Maybe I'm just getting old but the young ones are into some pretty dodgy stuff these days like FNAF, Roblox as I mentioned before and a whole host of inappropriate/insufferable YouTubers.

MightyDemon82

Octane

@MightyDemon82 Don't have to tell me! I loathe it when parents give their children their phone/tablet just to shut them up. That's all they know. I have two little nieces, and all they do is watch YouTube on their tablets. They aren't even 10 years old.

Maybe I'm just getting old

Octane

MightyDemon82

@Octane haha yes I had that argument with my sisters years ago as my wife and I said no tablets/phones at the wedding.
Especially during the ceremony/meal and what do you know they managed to make their own entertainment, had more fun than any of that rubbish can provide.

Edited on by MightyDemon82

MightyDemon82

NedStarksGhost

@MightyDemon82 hey if you're still after suggestions, I would consider Link's Awakening. I never played the original GBA version, but just going off the remake it's amazing. I found it quite unique, but very fun and has such a lovely art style.

It's a very different Zelda to Breath of the Wild. I loved both of them, so can't recommend either enough.

NedStarksGhost

Black_Swordsman

@colonelkilgore I had a look at it earlier, does look like a great game, like fast Dark Souls or medieval Bloodborne.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

MightyDemon82

@NedStarksGhost I'll probably pick it up I have only played a bit of it and that was back on Gameboy colour many many years ago, the updated visuals do look lovely!

MightyDemon82

RogerRoger

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

@RogerRoger I never got it to work on my TV, the one game I tried was unplayable with the audio incomprehensible, movement really sluggish and the frame rate was all over the place.

Think I'll stick to either playing games on disk or ones I've downloaded, with the brief foray into streaming on PS NOW when I wanna try out a game.

For the record, I was playing it through the latest Google Chromecast (or whatever the little white circle thing that dangles from a cable is called) and, from what I understand, your mileage will vary depending on what device or app version you're using. Kinda like how some TV streaming services look awful when you access them through a PS4, because nobody cares about their PS4 apps.

But yeah, there are just too many variables that can compromise the experience. Worst that can happen to a games console is a power cut, and they're (hopefully) rarer than bandwidth issues. Sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience, mind; hope you didn't pay for the (dis)pleasure!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Yeah I have chromecast built into my TV. It was a months free trial, so didn't lose any money over it.

I always found the apps on the PS4 to be alright in fairness. A bit laggy to open up, but once you are in they were OK. I only stopped using it when I got a new tv which was a bit snappier to use at first and offered 4K. I tend to use my PS5 when using Netflix and stuff at the moment as the TV has gotten a bit sluggish to use when navigating the menus and things.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Ah, good. And yeah, the PS4 apps are certainly watchable, but I was pretty shocked at the difference in menu speed and picture clarity when I upgraded to a dedicated Fire TV Stick last year, and then to a more modern smart(arse) TV with baked-in apps a couple months later. You're right though, a few updates (or lack thereof) and things can fluctuate, on any device. Brace yourself for an "old man yells at cloud" moment, but whatever happened to uniform standards, eh? I'm sure stuff used to just work!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Guy on University Challenge just dabbed after getting a question right. Bring on the end of the world.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@Thrillho Word going round is that Facebook isn’t just down but large quantities of its code has been deleted. Wild.

Voltan

No way they don’t have multiple backups of the code and the data.
If there was some major screw up it might take a while to re-deploy such a massive infrastructure though.
I find it a little hard to believe to be honest.

Voltan

R1spam

Facebook and Instagram have ground to a halt, yet the world continues to turn!! I texted someone earlier, the old ways are coming back already. Some fantastic journalism with the Pandora papers, probs just coincidence the tax evation of numerous famous and shady individuals has been revealed over the last couple of days but its hard not to indulge in a bit of arm chair conspiracy theory.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

nessisonett

@Voltan Oh absolutely, there’s backups, databases and the like. Takes a whole lot of time to restore though.

Voltan

It’s been dead for what… 7 hours now? That’s a long time for a service this big.

Also, just got this push notification lol

Untitled

Voltan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic