Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 4,841 to 4,860 of 4,998

mookysam

@nessisonett I love French and Saunders' spoofs. 😂 I've been watching Ab Fab recently and it made me think just how forward thinking it was for the early '90's. Have you seen any of The Comic Strip Presents?
I read an article on The Guardian recently about the importance of the Edinburgh Festival in finding new talent, and how Covid-19 has thrown a spanner in the works. I can't find it now though. Apparently many acts go there to be discovered and may end up on things like Mock the Week, or even get a series commissioned.

@Rudy_Manchego Yeah, things are continuously changing and a lot of what we see on TV mirrors changes in wider society. Something as genuinely offensive as Little Britain was not only acceptable 15 years ago, but was one of the biggest programmes on television. It's not that it wasn't offensive at the time and people are suddenly just sensitive, but that people are realising that it should never have been okay in the first place. I also like that TV is now getting to a place where gay and disabled people are not just tired stereotypes or the punchline of a joke.

#BlackLivesMatter

Kidfried

@mookysam Oof, Little Brittain. I remember feeling the peer pressure to like it, because everyone around me did. But I just hated it, hehe.

Kidfried

BearsEatBeets

Not sure if many have seen this but it looks very impressive.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Rudy_Manchego

@mookysam Absolutely - I'll be honest, I really liked elements of Little Britain and the Come Fly with Me 'follow' up series at the time, particularly the original two radio shows. There are some great sketches but to me, the least funny was always the over the top characters like Emily Howard and 'only Gay' in the village. I just loved the toy shop sketch for example. However, there were a lot of lazy gags in there looking back which really played on stereotypes in a way that is (rightfully) not acceptable. Comedy, a little like horror and sci fi is an interesting view into society at the time it was created. As you say, it is an inditment of the time that we see it shouldn't be acceptable.

I am a huge Bill Hicks fan and I have seen current generation comedians come out and say he should be cancelled because of some of his views - that he was misogynistic etc. It is interesting because in a lot of ways, he was a far out left radical in his views but by todays standards, absolutely the material is aged in some ways. To me it doesn't mean that he wasnt a comedy genius but he was pushing boundaries in the time period he was in. If I listen to him now, some bits I grimace at which I see as a good thing - it shows I can see how much we have grown.

I fully expect that some current comedy in 20-30 yrs will also age badly. In fact, I hope it does!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

@LN78 Yeah what was the old joke.. Question: Why is Denis Leary a star while Bill Hicks is unknown? Answer: Because there's no cure for cancer.

Russell Crowe has been trying to get a biopic going for years and I hope it never gets made because it is the last thing he wants or needs. I have seen other comedians like Stewart Lee make jokes saying he wished he was judged on just 4 live shows which I think is harsh.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

Rudy_Manchego

@LN78 Oh yes - did you see Letterman apologise to his Mum and Brother and then air the cancelled bit? I have read Love all the people - just great reading.

Rudy_Manchego

@LN78 I do think that he was great for being fair in terms of his targets - yes he was anti-republican but at the same time, he had little faith in anyone in the political system and our world is so rife with hypocrisy.. unless of course he did actually make a sitcom with just 'jiggling' in it and sold out!

RogerRoger

@mookysam @Kidfried Yeah, I find Little Britain a genuine embarrassment; always have, always will. It also has the ignominy of producing the worst ever PS2 game. Google it at your peril.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger American Idol on PS2 runs a very close second.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Rudy_Manchego

@LN78 I can't hear the name Billy Ray Cyrus without thinking of Bill Hicks.

BearsEatBeets

Looks like 'Gotham Knights' is a Destiny/Division co-op game with hit points and levels.

BearsEatBeets

nessisonett

@BearsEatBeets I’m exceedingly disappointed. This brings up the question of what on Earth Suicide Squad is. They can’t have two live services surely!

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

BearsEatBeets

@nessisonett It is bizarre but maybe this is a bit less looty/replay missions. Also no actual Batman, unless a late twist is his isn't actually dead. So far my interest for both games is pretty low but will give Rocksteady a chance.

Edited on by BearsEatBeets

BearsEatBeets

nessisonett

@BearsEatBeets Last time people said that they bought Anthem 🤣

nessisonett

@ApostateMage Kyle’s just waiting in the wings for someone to slag off FF9 so he can sweep in and mount a decades long campaign against them.

Th3solution

@ApostateMage @nessisonett I was just thinking that the other day and also almost posted an APB looking for him. With COVID I always worry. The forums have had a paucity of levity and sarcasm since he’s been gone. Hope he’s alright.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic