Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 4,841 to 4,860 of 10,079

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett I don't think that is the same thing though?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LiamCroft

@nessisonett I don't think that's fair to say. We have always come at it from a Sony perspective and what it means for PS4 and future PS5 owners rather than "Microsoft did this thing".

PSN ID: Liam_Croft

Rudy_Manchego

Can't comment on Pure Xbox as I am not that regular reader though I know what is meant in the comments but I don't think Push Square has been particularly stoking any flames. I just think that the media hype over next generation overall can't help but compare Sony and Microsoft in anything. I think the issue is that if you come to any news item with an agenda you'll gravitate to the position. I can see Xbox fanboys saying that Sony are finished due to Gamepass, Sony fans saying Xbox still don't have good games and Nintendo fans saying something about Smash (kidding).

It is pretty exhausting for us regulars. I know a bunch of us game on different platforms (and if we don't, aren't bothered by those who do) and it just seems weird. What is inevitably going to happen for the foreseeable is that one console will sell a bit more than the other but neither enough to put them out of business and that we will see a gradual shift over this gen towards entirely leftfield changes in the industry.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Kidfried

@nessisonett There's a difference right? I am wondering whether Sony will offer its own Game Pass, so Push publishing an interview with one of Sony's higher up about it makes sense for PS. And I was wondering what will happen now Bethesda has been bought by Microsoft too

And with both of these things probably many gamers alongside me.

But reporting on a Tweet, without any news value, then attaching it to a topic that has nothing to do with Xbox (SpiderMan), and creating an article about console wars out of it. There's really nothing redeeming about that. And the same thing happened last week too with news on PS5 pre-orders.

And like I said, Push Square is no saint, but they didn't sink this low.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Kidfried

@LiamCroft Agree!

(This all being said in general I think Pure Xbox is fine too. But I like their tone less than I did before the restart.)

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Ralizah

lol

As someone who posts regularly on NL and PS, and sporadically on PX (the site was kind of a graveyard after the reboot until recently, and I'm struggling to relate to the community on there), lemme tell you: I read countless posts on NL about toxic and fanboyish the PushSquare community is, and countless posts on PS about how toxic the NintendoLife community is.

The truth? Both sites have something of a fanboy problem in the article comment sections, and both websites have much tamer forums where people can actually talk about games from a variety of consoles without being besieged by idiots.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah The comments have been getting unbearable but the forums are definitely tamer. People are so desperate to justify their £450 purchase that they’ll put down every other option. It’s all a bit sad, really.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett It's like this near the start of every gen. And, particularly for Americans, we're being increasingly conditioned as of late to identify with political and social tribes and engage in cultural and (in America) actual warfare with members of other tribes. And covid weariness is still a thing. So that atmosphere is going to effect everything as well, including the typical console warrior shenanigans.

I will admit, though, it does get a little tiring seeing 35 year olds bicker about whose expensive new toy is better. Best to just disengage right now.

Or you could embrace the chaos

Edited on by Ralizah

Kidfried

@Ralizah I wasnt talking about the community actually. Was just talking about the articles themselves.

All three sites have their share of overly loyal fans. The reason I'm here on this site instead of NL is that I like Pish's writing and features better, and NintendoLife is just a tiny bit too big of a community for me to want to engage in. I'm probably missing out on a lot of nice people. I actually read the NL forums more often than I read the NL articles.

Kidfried

Rudy_Manchego

Ralizah wrote:

And, particularly for Americans, we're being increasingly conditioned as of late to identify with political and social tribes and engage in cultural and (in America) actual warfare with members of other tribes. And covid weariness is still a thing. So that atmosphere is going to effect everything as well, including the typical console warrior shenanigans.

Sage like wisdom there sir. There is a very tribal mentality that seems really heightened due to everything you mention. Just the act of reporting news is seen as provocation.

Interesting what you say about Push Square and Nintendo Life. As someone that has had people be a bit abrasive to them before on NL (not necessarily community members or anything) I had that feeling a little but it is always interesting to see the mirror turned the other way.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Rudy_Manchego When I first came to Push Square, I noticed a lot more abrasive fanboy responses than I was comfortable with. I think, when you're not "in" with a community, it's easier to feel othered by people.

Anyway, PushSquare has pushed its fair share of aggressively fanboyish articles over time, @Kidfried. Much more than NL has done any time in recent history. It just seems like PX is doing that a lot right now because Sony has been making a point of stepping in it, lately, and I imagine the Xbox community is rather lathered up after a generation of hearing about how inferior their preferred platform is. It'll settle down a bit over time.

Edited on by Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Rudy_Manchego I thought Nintendo fans are currently complaining about the Super Mario 3D All Stars collection? I'll make a head start and run for the hills now....

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 Ooh, nothing like a bit of Optimus Prime to warm the cockles.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

@RogerRoger What did you make of the rumours regarding MS buying Sega. Did you breath a a sigh of relief or did you think it was a load of hogwash anyway?

@JohnnyShoulder Thought I'd reply to you over here, as I'm feeling guilty about temporarily turning the review topic into an impenetrable wall of Sonic.

To answer your question, I laughed them off. Even without the "evidence" being thinner than that provided by your average Judge Judy plaintiff, there was just a general lack of understanding about SEGA as a company. ZeniMax is a holding company for some software developers; they're a reasonable acquisition for somebody looking to broaden their software portfolio. SEGA Sammy Holdings is a multinational entertainment company, with subsidies in three countries and its fingers in some real diverse pies. They're one of the biggest names in amusement arcade hardware, software and ownership (there are three SEGA-operated arcades within 90 minutes' drive of me) and they're a major force in the pachinko machine market, which we in the West often underestimate. They have a toy manufacturing division. They're expanding into television and movie production, and currently support some of the most profitable smartphone games on the market.

I'm not sure Microsoft wanna buy into all of that, not least because it'll cost them waaaay more money than they stumped up for ZeniMax. It wouldn't be tidy, nor would it guarantee them sales of Xbox hardware (which has never done well in Japan anyway; people tend to buy Xbox consoles to play Western games, those of the kind created by ZeniMax's developers, who are predominantly American and European). You'd also be left with an American company running a major percentage of Japan's entertainment industry, and I think that the Japanese government would have some pretty protectionist things to say about that. I just can't see it happening.

Having confidently written all of that out, it's 2020 and stranger things have happened. SEGA aren't averse to chasing exclusivity deals for Sonic, mind you (although they're usually smart about where they imprison him; it's usually on a Nintendo console, because there's a lot of crossover with Sonic fans and the family-friendly Nintendo ecosystem) so if the small fire causing all this smoke is that there's some kind of timed exclusivity deal in the works, then so be it.

But on the eve of his 30th Anniversary, I'm sure SEGA will want Sonic on every platform possible.

Sorry, I kinda went off on one there! Short answer? Yes, it's (hedge)hogwash.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic