Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 4,821 to 4,840 of 5,004

Th3solution

Does anyone listen to podcasts or music while they game? I’m surprised that many gamers do this. Personally I can’t concentrate on two things at once and I value the immersion of the in game audio. To pipe in extraneous music or rambling would ruin my game experience. Am I weird?

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

nessisonett

@Th3solution If I’m grinding MLB The Show then I’ll play music. If it’s a game that doesn’t require much concentration then I’ll probably play music too. Games like Watch Dogs 2 and GTA have in-game radios too that are useful. I wouldn’t do it with anything with too important a story though.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Only in driving and sports games when the music becomes intolerable, then I put something on from Spotify. But never in a a game with a story or any kind of atmosphere. I know Colin Moriaty does what you describe and I find that baffling!

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder It probably dropped to the second page because the forums are chill enough that there aren’t constant posts saying TLOU2 is the worst game ever because politics or TLOU2 is the best game ever and anybody who hates it is a bigot. I’ve barely seen any discourse on the actual game and all of my friends who’ve played it enjoyed it with a few caveats so they’re the only people I’d discuss it with to avoid the obvious internet nonsense.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Yeah those are saved for the comments on any article which mentions PlayStation.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder I’ve seen more spats on here about the Star Wars prequels than TLOU2 😂😂

nessisonett

I had a wee look to see which PS4 games actually got 10 on here and it was hilarious to go into each indie and read the comments. I forgot how much crazy hate there was back then for anything that wasn’t AAA. It was also weird seeing users I hadn’t seen in a while so I checked their last comments and one of them was along the lines of “go ahead and ban me”. Brilliant, it’s like when they say “go ahead and shoot me” in the movies and the other guy says something like “happy to comply” and then blasts him in the forehead.

LieutenantFatman

@nessisonett
It's so weird isn't it? People getting so incredibly worked up that a game exists that they don't want to play. That's a huge amount of time and energy wasted on something that doesn't interest them. Very odd behaviour.

LieutenantFatman

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Yeah I don't get the people that immediately relegate anything that is an indie game or that is not AAA as trash. 🤷‍♂️

nessisonett

@LieutenantFatman @JohnnyShoulder That line of thinking‘s not as prevalent now than it was back at the start of this gen. With so many AAA series disappointing people, games like Stardew Valley, Celeste and the like have delivered a pure gaming experience without the bloat and I think people appreciate that.

nessisonett

@LN78 Kenneth Williams is the OG of camp humour and I do love him. Carry On films are truly awful but there’s something strangely funny about how obvious they are. I read his diaries a while back though and they’re a pretty tragic read, it’s interesting to see how attitudes towards gay people made him both essentially entirely celibate and alone, one of the factors that led to his suicide. I always felt sorry for him but despite everything, I want “oooh Matron” to live on, even though it’s like a really obvious stereotype.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett My Dad had “oooh Matron” as a voicemail message on our landline a couple of decades ago!

Tjuz

@Th3solution I'm the exact same when it comes to putting on music and podcasts during activities. I just can't do it. It's too distracting and I'll end up focused on either or. Just yesterday I was on call with a friend playing Fall Guys, doing pretty well for myself, but the second the music went on I started failing pretty much every first round. Now, I'm not the best player in the world, but I also feel like those two things weren't not related! Haha, but yeah. For me to be able to put something on I have to be doing a totally mindless task during it, and gaming is certainly not that. I can't even write replies on this forum while listening to music! It's honestly quite inconvenient and I'd love to be able to say I can multitask like that, but it seems like it's not in the cards for either me or you. Stupid brains.

Tjuz

Rudy_Manchego

@LN78 @nessisonett Kenneth Williams was a comedy genius - a lot of his non-Carry On work was very boundary pushing, especially his stage and radio where he managed to do some seriously rude innuendo. He was also great at doing interviews and writing. The real shame is that he became typecast in those Carry on films and that, in of itself, just became the lazy camp stereotype and from what I have read, contributed a lot to his depression etc.

I think comedy is of an era and it is possible to recognise great comedy work and at the same time realise that they are not suitable now. I mean now, the Carry on films are deeply sexist, homophobic and racist in a lot of ways and I agree they shouldn't be revered as such but at the same time, in the performances, the lines and delivery and timing they had some real moments of comedic genius. I mean Monty Python is the same - for all the great surreal sketches, the show itself had a bunch of stuff that just wouldn't fly in today's society.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

nessisonett

@Rudy_Manchego Yeah, I think nowadays we’re so used to comedy covering almost everything that we forget the people who helped to push those boundaries. Without loads of shows that probably wouldn’t air today such as Allo Allo, Are You Being Served and the like, we wouldn’t have our modern comedies that can push those boundaries without (usually) having thousands of wee old dears sending their complaints to Ofcom.

mookysam

@nessisonett I agree with the particular programmes you mention, but would say that the alternative comedy of the '80's pushed more boundaries and has had a more lasting impact, without necessarily relying on the misogyny, racism and homophobia that drove a lot of earlier comedy (particularly stand-up). Much of the cultural output of the '80's was defined by an entire generation's disillusionment (if not disgust) with the Thatcher government.

#BlackLivesMatter

nessisonett

@mookysam You’re quite right, it’s easy to see the influence of people like Rik Mayall and French and Saunders in pretty much all mainstream British comedy these days. I saw that Stewart Lee’s trying to cultivate a new alternative comedy scene and to be honest, there’ve been some great comedians coming through recently. I’m a big fan of the Off Menu podcast which has a lot of guests who’re basically just other comedians but because they’re all from the same scene, you hear a lot of stories. It’s not an easy lifestyle and we, as viewers, probably take for granted the years of graft it takes to make it onto an episode of a panel show.

Rudy_Manchego

@LN78 I agree - Carry On's, or at least the later ones where they just really did the same thing over and over are not my cup of tea. i would say the early ones - largely black and white still have moments but it was a case of taking a successful couple of films and then just duplicating over and over again.

@mookysam You are right but the 80's counter comedy needed something to counter against, particularly the very much state approved comedy of the time seen on most outlets. It also assumes that great comedy wasn't being made at that time - it was... it was more of a comedy establishment they were railing against.

What is interesting is we are now seeing the countering against that 80's style comedy - accusations of sexism or characters etc. that are now seen as offensive. Take the Harry Enfield Stavros character or some of Rory Bremner's impersonations. It is changing all the time.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic