Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 3,681 to 3,700 of 10,056

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy
Continuing the discussion from the other thread elsewhere, per your request.

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy wrote:

I can honestly say I'm so glad I'm a primary school teacher not a Uni/College prof. 😅

I'm sure it's more work, but I think I could deal with a room full of barely adults easier than a room full of children whose bodies are coursing with hormones and mischief.

I actually spent the past two hours (alongside replying to Kratos) looking up Clock Tower, Haunting Grounds and Rule Of Rose due to our discussion yesterday.

Maaaaaan I forgot how f**king (Yeah I'm not even gonna say fudge here) dark Rule of Rose was!

I think I only read the Wiki page about it though before... watched a thirty minute video about the game earlier and it really hit me hard (I thought I'd watched a playthrough of it but apparently not... must've just been the Clock Towers)

Despite having known about it for years, I've actually never probed into the details of what that game is about. Your reaction has piqued my interest, though!

Stilllllll not worth £200+ though (I found some cheaper offers, most of those are from germany or france) One "UK PAL" sealed copy though was on offer for £2,500. That's ludicrous.

Yeeeeeeeah. This sort of situation is why I take a VERY lax attitude toward emulation when it comes to OOP games that haven't seen a re-release. Downloading ISOs of games like this online might not technically be legal, but morally, it's perfectly harmless.

So... yeah. PCSX2 is your friend in this scenario.

I was suprised though to find that Haunting Grounds is suprisingly quite cheap here (I thought it was quite the rare commodity here too). £15 for a sealed copy. Was actually considering it as the alchemy theme surrounding the survival horror sounds neat... though I'm pretty bad at pursuing enemies and makes me anxious as hell actually playing them!

I felt the same way about the Clock Tower games, but they sound way worse than they actually are in this respect. The enemies in these games tend to be more annoying than scary, and, from memory, I believe Haunting Grounds was the same way.

I'm half-tempted to play my old copy after finishing up Clock Tower 3. We'll see.

Definitely too nervous to play Outlast, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Sorry for the slightly late reply @Ralizah! It was our trip to the butterfly farm yesterday... There wasn't too much mischief from those kids... One child did get a little spooked as a rather large butterfly landed in his face but other then that it was pretty uneventful 😁

Ralizah wrote:

Despite having known about it for years, I've actually never probed into the details of what that game is about. Your reaction has piqued my interest, though!

It's a survival horror set in England in the 1930's. You play as a 19 year old girl called Jennifer who due to certain events ends up finding herself in an orphanage that has a Lord Of The Flies type situation with her having to deal with the "Red Crayon Aristocrats" in order to escape.

It's a psychological horror more-so like Silent Hill (... I haven't played any of those though actually) with like a bit of Brother's Grimm thrown in.

It's a very bittersweet game in tone and the fact that I work with children... It probably hit me harder watching it.

Ralizah wrote:

Downloading ISOs of games like this online might not technically be legal, but morally, it's perfectly harmless. So... yeah. PCSX2 is your friend in this scenario.

I've dabbled with that stuff like the first two Shin Megami Tensei's. Basically it alongside a Pokémon rom hack or two.

Ralizah wrote:

I felt the same way about the Clock Tower games, but they sound way worse than they actually are in this respect. The enemies in these games tend to be more annoying than scary

Looking up the Clock Tower games again. Yeah they aren't all that scary. The SNES one is probably the creepiest of them as the others are just campy and goofy as hell 😂

Ralizah wrote:

Definitely too nervous to play Outlast, though.

I'm not great with first person horror at all (Same reason I haven't played Resi 7. I'm kinda hoping Resi 8 isn't first person). I never did anything more then the starting minute of Outlast myself (my son bought it and played it through though. He seemed to enjoy it)

The scariest game I've actually played all the way through was probably Fatal Frame/Project Zero 2... I hate ghosts and the first person camera combat did not help 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah both games feature dog sidekicks @Arugula (The dog's called Brown in RoR).

Never played either one myself just heard of RoR through reputation thanks to it being a horror ps2 game that's been banned in parts of europe and in turn the sheer rarity of it.

I've heard Rule Of Rose has some pretty bad combat because the company ran out of budget and had to release it before they could polish it up. I think they're defunct now too (Yup. They only had 2 games in fact which is a shame)

Apparently they were originally going to partner with Sony for the project (Sony actually approached them about making a horror game) before Sony eventually backed out entirely.

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

£200 at the very least @Arugula though there's a factory sealed and professoinally approved copy on Ebay and Amazon for £2,500 😅

Hell my copy of Persona 3 FES is worth £100 at least because of Koei never reprinting it in europe!

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Hahaha, some games are just worth a mint. Even relatively common games like Paper Mario TTYD and Fire Emblem Path of Radiance on the Cube can go for almost £100 now.

@Arugula Go have a look! If you find it then you could be sitting on a small fortune!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

FullbringIchigo

they FINALLY removed the Singstar icon from the PS3's XMB

Untitled

@get2sammyb i don't know if it's news worthy but i'm glad it's gone

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

JohnnyShoulder

Not sure it would be worth anything in good condition, but my brother had a hard back graphic novel of Star Wars A New Hope, to tie in with the release of the film in the cinema. I managed to get hold of it when i was a toddler and scribble all over it. My brother was not pleased with me lol.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD i'm just glad they actually bothered to do it being the PS3 is no longer a focus anymore

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

It was our trip to the butterfly farm yesterday... There wasn't too much mischief from those kids... One child did get a little spooked as a rather large butterfly landed in his face but other then that it was pretty uneventful 😁

Well, to be fair, I wouldn't want a large insect taking up residence on my face either.

I used to give a 'pass' to ladybugs until, well... ever had an infestation of ladybugs in your house? It's gross, and ruined ladybugs for me pretty permanently.

It's a survival horror set in England in the 1930's. You play as a 19 year old girl called Jennifer who due to certain events ends up finding herself in an orphanage that has a Lord Of The Flies type situation with her having to deal with the "Red Crayon Aristocrats" in order to escape.

It's a psychological horror more-so like Silent Hill (... I haven't played any of those though actually) with like a bit of Brother's Grimm thrown in.

A survival horror game about a creepy British orphanage with evil, controlling children...
well, now I HAVE to play it.

Looking up the Clock Tower games again. Yeah they aren't all that scary. The SNES one is probably the creepiest of them as the others are just campy and goofy as hell 😂

They get goofier over time. It's hard to believe Clock Tower 3 was ever supposed to pass as a horror game, to be frank.

I'm not great with first person horror at all (Same reason I haven't played Resi 7. I'm kinda hoping Resi 8 isn't first person). I never did anything more then the starting minute of Outlast myself (my son bought it and played it through though. He seemed to enjoy it)

I've been holding off on Resi 7 with the idea that I'd eventually get a PSVR and play it on that, but hearing that VR on the vanilla PS4 is supposedly kind of crappy, I don't know if I'll ever get to it.

Does a gaming habit run in the family?

The scariest game I've actually played all the way through was probably Fatal Frame/Project Zero 2... I hate ghosts and the first person camera combat did not help 😅

I'm thinking I'll be playing Fatal Frame 2 this year, actually. I played the first one last year, and it was... pretty good! Surprisingly eerie atmosphere. The formula was pure RE1, but it distinguished itself with the uniquely Japanese story and interesting combat system.

Jaz007

I didn’t even realize the Super Bowl was today until I was wondering where everyone went and my dad texted me he was at someones house watching it. I don’t care about it, but I achieved new levels of not even knowing this year for it.

Jaz007

Ralizah

@Jaz007 LOL I got a call from my dad.

Him: "You watching the game?"
Me: "...which game?"
"The superbowl!"
"That's... football, right?"
"Oh my god. You're kidding, right?"
"I don't do sports."
"It's the superbowl!"
"I have better things to do than watch millionaires give each-other brain damage."
"Wow. Just wow."

Call didn't last a whole lot longer.

Th3solution

@Ralizah @Jaz007 I watched the end when I saw that the score was close and the Chiefs were making a comeback. Some of the advertisements I saw were pretty good. The Alexa commercials with Ellen D. where they go back in time “What did they do before we had Alexa?” were pretty funny. But yeah, I almost forgot until I just happened to see the score on my phone so I watched it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Jaz007

@Ralizah hahahah, that's funny. I'm not quite at that level since I don't mind going to watch a live game on the odd occasion, but I can't see anything engaging about watching it on TV unless you happen play it a lot. Whenever someone asks me if I heard something about Sports because they have something they want to say about I'm always like "I have no idea what that's about, so just ahead and say it. (I'll listen since it interests them).
@Th3solution I could have gone over and watched it too, but my alternative was watching the No Game No Life movie, and that won; it was the right choice, fantastic movie. Even if I had gone, it would have been a hang out thing/a bit of commercials since the game itself wouldn't hold my attention.

Jaz007

Th3solution

@Jaz007 What’s the “No Game No Life” movie?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@LN78 Thanks, yeah. Whenever I've considered going veggie before, I've come back to the unfortunate logic of "Well, if I don't buy that ham sandwich, it's still gonna get made, so it's waste and I hate food waste, particularly when it'd then mean that pig was killed for nothing." I also waiver on taking it further and going vegan; I don't mind the idea of working animals for things like eggs, milk and cheese (although I do understand that their treatment in such circumstances is far from perfect and would like that to change).

But there's a big social trend at the moment towards veganism and, by extension, vegetarianism (guess it just had to become profitable before it got truly underway, such is capitalism) and so that argument I have with myself carries less and less weight with every passing day.

My partner uses a lot of vegetarian and vegan meat substitutes in his cooking (simply because he doesn't trust himself to cook meat properly; he still occasionally eats it when we go to restaurants) and that whole industry has come on leaps and bounds since I tried it many years ago, when it was genuinely like eating heated cardboard. It's only a matter of time before food science makes the difference a fraction of a percent and, at that point, I reckon we should all leave the animals alone because then there'd be zero need to kill and cook them (same as my Horizon argument).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@LN78 Agreed; some folks take it to extremes and that's cool if you believe that strongly, or if you've got the time, patience and money to back that kinda approach up, but free range and ethical animal products are fine by me (and often provide the animals with a better quality of life than they'd get roaming wild). And I see your reasoning, and can agree with you there. I guess I've never really thought about it before I'm staring at said ham sandwich in the supermarket, at which point the damage can't exactly be undone. Maybe that's what this vegan populism is doing to me and hey, that's no bad thing.

And gosh yes, the texture of some fake meats is nauseating. Quorn "chicken-style cubes" are the worst. It's like eating a diced bath sponge. Some work far better than others; anybody claiming to sell you an approximation of a chicken nugget, for example, can't be too wide of the mark because actual chicken nuggets are already over-processed themselves.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

There's no need for humans to eat meat now other than people simply enjoying the flavour and texture of meat. Thing is, almost everyone would agree that animal cruelty is wrong, yet there is this bizarre collective amnesia where the meat, egg and dairy industries are concerned. People simply don't want to hear about it because it would make them feel bad about consuming those products, which would be the real tragedy, wouldn't it?

When it comes to eggs I would say that live male chicks being thrown into grinders is horrific and morally repugnant. After chickens have stopped producing enough eggs - and after their short, miserable lives in cramped conditions (this applies even to "free range") - they're sent to slaughter, and this is long before the end of their natural lifespans. Honestly, that chick in the grinder probably had it better. Perhaps the newborn male cows slaughtered for veal do too.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Thrillho

I think it’s just such a massive cultural shift that stops people eating veggie as much as anything as most meals start with which animal you’re going to eat and take it from there.

The best veggie/vegan recipes I use are the ones that start from scratch and build from there rather than trying to produce meat free versions of other meals. Veggie so much easier seeing as you can use cheese and eggs though!

I bought A Modern Way to Eat by Anna Jones recently and although I’ve yet to make anything from it, it has good sections on how she goes about constructing veggie dishes which is just as interesting/useful.

Thrillho

kyleforrester87

I am not a vegetarian but I have huge respect for them. I'm a massive hypocrite, I eat meat daily and worked in a butchers for many years, but breeding and slaughtering livestock for mass human consumption is straight up wrong on every level in my opinion. The only time I'm okay with killing anything is if you've hunted and killed a wild animal for yourself to eat.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic