Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 3,421 to 3,440 of 10,056

HallowMoonshadow

I'm doing better thanks @Kidfried!

A little emotionally drained still but not much I can do about that besides just giving it more time...

Oh and I just remembered happy belated thanksgiving @Ralizah and @Th3olution

I think you're the only americans on here whom I regularly talk to... So apologies if any else is!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks! As you well know, we Americans ritually sacrifice a turkey every year to celebrate the age-old relationship of trust and good faith we descendants of white European invaders settlers established with the native people here.

On a more serious note: it's good to hear you're feeling a little better.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

I figured some snark about the holiday would've gone down well with you @Ralizah!

I know far too little (only through american tv in fact) about the holiday to really go for that angle though!

Oh yeah I forgot @Arugula seeing as you're british but moved over there if I remember right? Hope you had a good day off then!

and cheers to the both of you for the well wishing 😊

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy The celebration itself is more of a cultural artifact derived from the harvest festivals celebrated by the pilgrims. The natives that showed up at that particular harvest festival were from the Wampanoag tribe. They brought a small army (nearly 100 men, I believe) to help cement a mutual-defense agreement the pilgrims had signed with their chief. Part of the reason for this agreement, by the way, was due to the tribe's weakened defenses due to diseases introduced to the region by the European settlers. The settlers kept expanding their territory, and mistrust and mutual violence led to King Philip's War, which decimated the tribe. Of the few hundred tribe members who survived, many of the women and children were essentially used as slave labor.

The Thanksgiving tradition itself didn't become a nationally celebrated holiday until around the end of the American Civil War, though. Abraham Lincoln made it a federal holiday upon some urging by activists with the idea of it being a unifying tradition after a war that killed far more Americans than any other conflict before or since. Businesses also used it as a way to encourage investment in southern territories, many of which were shattered during the war.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Oh...That... Uhh... I'm actually not quite sure what to say @Ralizah! Certainly not what I was expecting to hear

Thrillho

We went to NYC and New England for our honeymoon earlier this year. We currently live in Devon nearish to Plymouth and it is amazing how over half the people we spoke to had relatives that were on the Mayflower!

They must have bred like rabbits or something to manage to populate 50% of that part of the US

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks for the holiday well wishes! Very kind of you.
Yeah, Thanksgiving is sandwiched between Halloween and Christmas and more and more just seems like it has become “Black Friday Eve.” But I guess the international community can be happy for at least the fact that Lincoln ratified an annual Thursday holiday where most Americans are sitting around off of work the next day, wanting to find an activity to get away from their family and it was conveniently one month before Christmas. Viola! Black Friday was born. A commercial and economic dream. I’m sure it’s exactly what the nation’s Founders had in mind. A day where Americans can stand in line outside of Wal-Mart pushing and shoving their fellow neighbors to get to the big ticket items.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Arugula @Thrillho @andreoni79 Lol, I meant “Voila!” of course.

I could lie and say it was autocorrect that made that bumble, but it was my brain. And I can’t even claim dyslexia either.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I just thought that you're a huge fan of celebrated American actor Viola Davis, and so have started to randomly insert her name into your posts.

No? Oh, alright then.

Untitled

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Ha, ha! No, but that’s not a Denzel! bad idea. I think Benedict! I might have to Harrison! start entering some of Keira! my favorite actors and actresses into Cate! my posts. Like some Jodie! sort of tic or something.

Edited on by Th3solution

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I can think of worse tics to have!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

Thank you everyone for your really nice messages. Been resting/playing little bits of Pokémon and finally watched Avengers Endgame.

@KALofKRYPTON Oh I tried, I really did. 😂

@KratosMD Ooh great Black Friday haul! How many Kingdom Hearts games do you need to play before you get to 3? Easily my game of the year thus far.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Hope everything is okay.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

HallowMoonshadow

Welcome back @mookysam! I must've missed your return it seems while I was away... glad you're out the hospital, hope you're feeling better

mookysam

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Little bit thanks. Got my hair cut yesterday which has made me feel better about myself. Hopefully birds will stop trying to nest now.

@KratosMD Kingdom Hearts is such a comforting series for me. I'm aiming to replay 3 once the DLC lands but really want to replay KH1 soon. Three ties everything together and references all the other games. I made the mistake of not watching the back cover movie beforehand which caused some minor things to confuse me. :-s

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

MightyDemon82

Thanks everyone who suggested places to get gaming related clothes, got myself some new t-shirts. Bloodborne, HZD and Nier Automata and those are just for starters!

MightyDemon82

Th3solution

@Arugula I didn’t see the fight nor the interview, but I do know what you mean about the post-event interviews. It’s quite amazing how poorly spoken most professional athletes are — especially those that receive repetitive TBI for a living. The combination of brain injury, speaking in a language that is not their native tongue, commonly a lack of education due to their profession not requiring it, and the standard public speaking jitters all makes for a cringe-inducing word salad, if not a comical one.

You can usually tell the ones that have been coached by their PR people though. I saw a post game interview a few weeks ago for one of the NBA’s rising stars and clearly he was told what to say because he answered with a rote and probably pre-memorized statement in each of the three questions that basically said nothing of consequence, nor did the answers actually even address the question which was posed.
...Come to think of it, this is exactly what our politicians do and they speak publicly for a living. 😂

Th3solution

@Arugula Yeah, it’s an interesting social experiment. The public has put these athletes in a no-win situation with the interviews. Every word they say is put into a 3 inch headline and so if they slip up and say something stupid then it immediately becomes an issue. We ask them pressing and controversial questions right after an event when they are physically and mentally drained and full of adrenaline. It makes it all the more impressive when they are able to form a cohesive and intelligent thought and verbalize it.
And then you have Marshawn Lynch... 😂

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula Not sure if there will be third fight as AJ tweeted out to the public who they want him to fight next, which he has done before. The only reason this rematch happened was because it was in the contract of the first fight. I imagine there will a big push to get Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder, but I think they fight each other next so maybe the winner of that to unify the belts. But it is not clear if AJ has any mandatories to fight.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic