Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 3,141 to 3,160 of 10,077

ZeD

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I too tried to play the Witcher 3 multiple times and I do not see what the big deal is. People rave that the characters and story are next to none but I never saw what they meant. Basic boy chases girl story with characters with as much emotion as a potato. Each to their own.

I couldn't get past the 1st half hour on Undertale. Did not hook me in.

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

kyleforrester87

I've got 60-70% through Witcher 3 a few times and can't stomach anymore, most of your time is spent chasing way points in a straight line. I guess I could have messed with the options in that regard.

I completed Undertale (the "first run" anyway) - I didn't understand the praise either, couldn't be bothered to try again!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Kidfried

@kyleforrester87 I will go even farther than you, and say RPGs are one of the genres that have gotten worse over time, rather than better.

There are still good RPGs releasing, sure, but... I think someone who gets into gaming today will have more fun playing the 90s classics than RPGs from the 00s.

Kidfried

HallowMoonshadow

...I haven't played Earthbound @Kidfried and I only think undertale is ok

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Kidfried

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I was trying to say I agreed with you. The 'fight me' was aimed at those who declare it the GOAT. O:)

Also, I had fun playing it by the way!

Kidfried

HallowMoonshadow

Oh sorry @kidfried my bad! 😂

And as for the JRPG/RPG comment i'd have to disagree to a point... Most my favourite's are 2000's.

Shin Megami Tensei Noctune/Lucifer's call and the Digital Devil Saga games are great 00's RPG's alongside FFX/XII!

And depending how broad we're going.... Dark Cloud/Chronicle, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion & Demon's Souls are all good (actiony) RPG's too lol

Though it's not been as good the past few years for rpg's barring a few titles

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Kidfried Console JRPGs may not be quite up to the heights of their late 90s/early 2000s glory days, but, considering how thoroughly gutted the genre was last gen (as were pretty much all genres I enjoy: God, I hated last gen), I consider the way they've rebounded nothing short of a miracle. It's part of the general resurgence of Japanese home console gaming the last few years.

Too bad S-E is still apparently incapable of making a normal, decent Final Fantasy game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@Ralizah @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I wasn't trying to make a case that 00s didn't have good RPGs/JRPGs. But I do think that a game like Chrono Trigger has aged better than most RPGs from that era.

Kidfried

Tasuki

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah the music was amazing for Legend of Dragoon, and the combat was unique especially with the timed hits and such. It's one game I wish they would remaster, but I know they never will. Which is why I kept my copy and my PS3. 😁

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Areus

You know playing through Final Fantasy 8 Again made me Realize that this is the Final Fantasy Game They Should have Remade As Aside from Final Fantasy 5 This Game doesn't get much love Also Their is Alot of Stuff about the World And Characters That could be Expanded upon

Areus

JohnnyShoulder

@Areus Is your caps lock broken or something? 😂

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Areus

@JohnnyShoulder Lol Nah i Just Have a Habit Of Using Caps While Typing The First Letter Of My Words

Areus

Gremio108

@Areus I like it, it makes every sentence you write look like the title of a Smiths song.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Tasuki

I don't know why but the disaster that is Broderlands 3 has hit me hard it's to the point that I don't want to play any games at all. I was so looking forward to BL3 and then to be disappointed by hit has really killed my mood for gaming. I even took BL3 back and got Greedfall (which I am enjoying ) but getting the will so to speak to play a game is just not there. I don't know if seeing all the reviews and everything for BL3 just makes me depressed cause how the co-op came out or what but gaming right now just doesn't appeal.

Anyone else get this way?

My Backlog

kyleforrester87

@Tasuki hmm not really, your expectations weren’t met and frame rate problems etc are annoying but the split screen thing strikes me as something you would have probably got used to if you played it a bit longer? How many hours did you play for?

I suppose my 2 biggest disappointments in gaming were FF8 and Wolfenstein TNC. Not bad games but didn’t match my expectations..

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Jaz007

@Tasuki The last time I had that feeling it was because I watched something so good it made anything else with a story feel boring. I do get the disappointment though. I think it's a shame that BL3 is getting good reviews when the co-op, the point of the game, is broken. It shouldn't be getting a pass like it's a minor issue as it did the in review on this site. Frankly, the game should be reviewed like it's almost always played in co-op as that's supposed to be the best way to play the game. It should be reviewed as broken and Gearbox should have severe and total backlash for clearly attempting to hide that fact.

But yeah, I would try a game that doesn't require any comment to start back up.

Jaz007

Tasuki

@LN78 @Jaz007 Well it's certainly good to know I am not alone when it comes to this. I have been playing less games the last few days, as I said I just don't have the urge to play them. I even tried to play the DQXI demo which I was enjoying but even that is meh. Mostly I have been watching movies and TV and messing around with D&D. It sounds like maybe stepping away from gaming for a bit is what I need.

My Backlog

JohnnyShoulder

@Tasuki Yep been there many times too. The last straw was Watchdogs, it had seemed we had first heard about it ages before it was released. That first reveal trailer looked a true next gen game and ubi were promising all kinds off stuff you could do in the game which seemed super exciting. But when i played the game I just found everything in it really boring. And that was after Destiny which left me similarly cold after playing it. The problem with games being annouced so far ahead of being released is that you end knowing almost every thing in the game. Then there is hardly any sense of wonderment of finding stuff out for yourself naturally by playing the game.

So after those two bad experiences (there had been many others before too) I decided not to get caught up in the hype too much. I did this by doing things like not watching every single trailer that comes out, not reading or watching so many previews (as devs can show off only the good parts or a different build of the game). I also used to watch and read reviews from several sites before playing the game, now I generally only do that after I'm finished with the game. Generally not consuming everything about the game before it is released, moderating what I watch and read about a game if I'm interested in it.

These days there are very few games I get really hyped for. Those are usually from a developer like From or CDPR which I have totally dug their previous games. I am really looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077, but after I saw the latest footage I've enforced a blackout on the game and won't be watching it reading any more about the game.ive already had stop myself from reading a few previews as I felt they were going into too much detail about the mission they were playing.

I don't recall it affecting me playing games though, I usually get like that after completing a big game, not knowing what to play next.

On the flip side there have been a more games that have exceeded my expectations since I changed my approach to gaming. Games like The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Wolfenstien, The Last Guardian, Shadow of Mordor, God of War, Sekiro are just a few games I can think of that I was totally blown away by.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Tasuki

@Frigate @JohnnyShoulder Yeah I try not to get hyped for games and usually do a good job but Borderlands 3 was different. The Borderlands series has always been a series that my son and I could both enjoy and really get into. Borderlands 2 is easily in both of our top 5 lists while the other 4 are probably and more then likely different. For example he tends to like more Western RPGs like Skyrim and Dragon Age while I tend to like Fantasy/JRPGs more. He likes indie games more where I do not. I like competitive games like CoD, Overwatch and Tekken where he likes more story driven games like GTA V or Batman Arkham City. So you can see where my hyped for BL3 came from, not so much the game itself but more excited about being able to share it with my son. It's kinda of odd to explain I guess.

My Backlog

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic