Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 3,041 to 3,060 of 10,087

Rudy_Manchego

@andreoni79 I've always wondered how those who do seasonal work handle the gaps and so on. It must be very busy during the season. Are you away from home a lot?

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

andreoni79

@Rudy_Manchego I usually leave my hometown in december/january and come back in august/september. In these 8/9 months there's a lot of work to do, with also some 16hours working days... In one single day we can move around 1000 kids in Italy or abroad. We also sent 510 kids to London only on July 2nd. When we look for a new coaches company in the UK they always think we are joking when we say "there are 500 kids on 15 different flights coming this day. What can you offer us?" 😂
There's a lot of stress, but then I have three months in which I receive a good unemployment benefit. Finally I have time for my studies and writing!

Edited on by andreoni79

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I really, really liked how a lot of the people acted like... people... in B/W. Bianca's father not wanting her to go on a Pokemon adventure, for example. It's such a basic, humanizing thing, and I had always kind of wondered why the parents always seemed perfectly content to let their children wander a land filled with dangerous, borderlines supernatural animals and career criminals.

Team Plasma seems like a very organic part of the Pokemon universe. OF COURSE you would have a group concerned about the welfare of Pokemon. It also makes sense that an ostensibly benevolent organization would be rotten as you go higher in the ranks. I thought N was an interesting protagonist.

Overall, it's the most "JRPG-feeling" of the mainline Pokemon games. Which, I think, is a big reason why it's so contentious in the fandom: it feels very different from Pokemon games before or since.

If you didn't like the sort of linear, people-popping-up-all-the-time thing in B/W, I'd strongly advise against ever playing SuMo. Feels like you don't go five minutes without someone interrupting the flow of the game. Not to mention the game feels like it's running at 20fps most of the time, even on the New 3DS.

Oshawatt is actually my nephew's favorite Pokemon. While I'm not a fan of the evolutions, I always found Tepig to be adorable. No set of starters will ever match R/B/Y, but the starters in B/W are a solid second or third for me.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

why the parents always seemed perfectly content to let their children wander a land filled with dangerous, borderlines supernatural animals and career criminals.

As a mom that's always really confused me... The anime did it pretty decently with Deliah always being pretty concerned about Ash's wellbeing whenever he called home (Or the plea she makes in the second film) and yet in the games they're always like "You're 12 or whatever now... Go make monsters fight each other and don't come back"

Ralizah wrote:

Team Plasma seems like a very organic part of the Pokemon universe. OF COURSE you would have a group concerned about the welfare of Pokemon. It also makes sense that an ostensibly benevolent organization would be rotten as you go higher in the ranks. I thought N was an interesting protagonist.

That's true... except like the first two grunts you meet are up to no good and as it turns out none of them believed the cause aside from N right?

I really don't remember though if that's the case but I definitely agree there should've been a team like that in the series. To me I think it's more of a missed opportunity, the reveal could've been done much better.

Ralizah wrote:

Overall, it's the most "JRPG-feeling" of the mainline Pokemon games. Which, I think, is a big reason why it's so contentious in the fandom: it feels very different from Pokemon games before or since.

Never thought of it like that... That's very true. It's a darn whame it's my least favourite.

Ralizah wrote:

If you didn't like the sort of linear, people-popping-up-all-the-time thing in B/W, I'd strongly advise against ever playing SuMo. Feels like you don't go five minutes without someone interrupting the flow of the game. Not to mention the game feels like it's running at 20fps most of the time, even on the New 3DS.

My poor 2DS is never getting any new games at this rate lol ... It's kinda neglected.

Ralizah wrote:

Oshawatt is actually my nephew's favorite Pokemon. While I'm not a fan of the evolutions, I always found Tepig to be adorable. No set of starters will ever match R/B/Y, but the starters in B/W are a solid second or third for me.

Eh Tepigs ok I suppose... The other two of it's line are pretty garish though.

I'll agree to R/B/Y having the best starters... But I'd have to give Hoenn second and then probably Kalos actually. I think I'm the only one who doesn't think Delphox's design sucks... I like the robe like fur and weird ear tufts 😅

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy wrote:

As a mom that's always really confused me... The anime did it pretty decently with Deliah always being pretty concerned about Ash's wellbeing whenever he called home (Or the plea she makes in the second film) and yet in the games they're always like "You're 12 or whatever now... Go make monsters fight each other and don't come back"

I mean, I get it. The Pokemon Journey is that society's rite-of-passage for adolescents on the cusp of young adulthood. It's a powerful concept insofar as it taps into humanity's universal yearning for freedom, discovery, and adventure. But, even in a society where that sort of thing is the universal norm, you'd still have parents who weren't cool with the idea. So the introduction of that element brought a uniquely human element to the series.

But yeah, the original anime did do a good job of keeping Ash's mother in the picture, so to speak, and maintaining that important child/parent connection.

Actually, there's something I've thought about for a while now. While it makes sense for the Pokemon brand to remain wholesome and family-oriented, I'm surprised, given how much of the fanbase for the series is probably 30+ at this point, that there's no attention paid to the 'life transition' aspect of the series. Pokemon, as a brand, has been a big part of a lot of people's lives from childhood. That, naturally, makes the brand one that possesses an exceptional amount of emotional clout for people. Why not, to some extent, produce some Pokemon media that highlights and (for lack of a better word) exploits this? What better way to play on the emotions of your consumers than to mirror their own life developments in your fictional media? Imagine a Pokemon game or movie or something that highlights the development of a character from childhood, when they first leave on their Pokemon adventure, to middle age, as they grow into their lives, settle down, and seek to share the world of Pokemon with their own children. This needn't even be the primary focus of whatever the piece of media happens to be, but they could maintain their child-oriented focus while connecting with their older fans in a powerful way. The brand is uniquely situated in such a way that it'd be perfect for this sort of thing, considering it'll be popular with both children today AND the children of yesteryear (who are now adults and parents), mirroring the central role Pokemon and the Pokemon Journey in that society.

Just rambling. Don't mind me. How old are your children, if you don't mind me asking?

That's true... except like the first two grunts you meet are up to no good and as it turns out none of them believed the cause aside from N right?

I really don't remember though if that's the case but I definitely agree there should've been a team like that in the series. To me I think it's more of a missed opportunity, the reveal could've been done much better.

They've always struck me as, in real world terms, a mix between Peta and Antifa, at least on the ground level. Like Peta, you have the radical commitment to changing how humans and animals (Pokemon) live and relate to one-another. Like Antifa, you have mostly younger people who feel like they're defending a moral cause, but that gets lost a bit as violence, questionable methods, and abuse of power get mixed into the fray.

Of course, I'm also operating on a decade old memory, so I could very well be wrong, but that's the impression I got from talking to various characters. I think most of the people on the ground probably genuinely believed in Plasma's cause of liberating Pokemon. The Bulbapedia wiki page on the team even specifically says that Ghetsis "exploited" the group toward his own ends, which, again, implies that the group wasn't originally corrupt, and that most of the people on the ground who were kept out of the loop probably meant well.

But, yeah, the entire Team Plasma storyline could absolutely have done better. But, as much as I like the series, the storytelling bar is pretty low overall, so I feel like Team Plasma brought something unique to the series, and were compelling in a way that the cartoon villains of other games never were.

Never thought of it like that... That's very true. It's a darn whame it's my least favourite.

I've heard B/W 2 were pretty good. I ought to see how those fair in comparison to the original B/W on the writing front at some point.

My poor 2DS is never getting any new games at this rate lol ... It's kinda neglected.

I can't sympathize. The 3DS has one of my all-time favorite game libraries, so I frequently find myself returning to it and playing smaller games that I never fully completed in the past (I'm actually almost done with Box-Boy, as a matter of fact), along with bigger games that I never picked up at the time.

Even having sold off a large chunk of my library in the past, I still own 50+ retail games and 100+ pieces of digital-only software (way more if you include VC releases). And there are still many, many games I want to buy for it.

I'll agree to R/B/Y having the best starters... But I'd have to give Hoenn second and then probably Kalos actually. I think I'm the only one who doesn't think Delphox's design sucks... I like the robe like fur and weird ear tufts 😅

Fennekin's evolutionary line is one of the best in the series. Braixen is VERY cute, and Delphox has a powerful, wizardy sort of look to it. I confess I can't stand Greninja, though, despite really liking Froakie. Chespin is cute, but its final evolutionary form is so different that it looks like it evolved from an entirely different type of Pokemon.

The best Pokemon from X/Y is Sylveon, though. That design is SO cute, and once it learns Moonblast, you can basically destroy anything in your path.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

Just rambling. Don't mind me.

Psssssssssshhhhhh that wasn't rambling at all, that's a really good concept! I'd love to see that portrayed in the Pokémon media one way or another

Ralizah wrote:

How old are your children, if you don't mind me asking?

My son's twenty one... My daughter's nineteen 😊

Ralizah wrote:

I've heard B/W 2 were pretty good. I ought to see how those fair in comparison to the original B/W on the writing front at some point.

Well I'll look forward to reading your thoughts if you ever get round to it then

Ralizah wrote:

The 3DS has one of my all-time favorite game libraries, so I frequently find myself returning to it and playing smaller games that I never fully completed in the past (I'm actually almost done with Box-Boy, as a matter of fact), along with bigger games that I never picked up at the time.

Oh it probably has a great library. I just don't seem to click with a handheld console as well as I used to. The fact the Switch has the docking feature though along with the handheldyness would probably help a long way to reinvigoriate my love with them if I ever get round to getting one... There's too many games I want just on PS4 at the moment though!

Ralizah wrote:

I confess I can't stand Greninja

Joking! I actually didn't like Greninja at first myself at first... But eventually I grew to liking the design. As for Chespin I always saw him as a Horse Chestnut/Conker so... He turned out how I expected really.

Sylveon's pretty darn cute but Vaporeon is my fave Eevee-lution, followed by Glaceon.

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I'm kind of the opposite RE: handheld vs consoles. I really dig being able to play wherever and whenever I get the time as opposed to having to stay in one spot for an extended period of time to play my games. It IS cool being able to play games on a big screen, but they just don't feel as accessible, so I inevitably end up spending a lot less time with my home consoles than I'd like.

I confess that, despite owning a Switch and not being a terribly monied person, I'm still eyeing the Switch Lite. The original system feels a bit large for a handheld, which is perfect when you're playing around the house, but on trips/work breaks/etc. it feels a bit overly large. I'm tentatively planning on preordering the Pokemon Switch Lite (I actually already have, but it obviously doesn't charge until Amazon ships it out).

But yes, the versatility of the Switch is one of the things that makes it appeal to so many people. I only use it in the dock when I'm playing with someone else or when a game just doesn't look good in handheld mode (looking at you, Xenoblade Chronicles 2!)

Oh, I'm back at DDS full-time. I spent three hours this morning... grinding Girimehkalas for macca and HP noises in the basement of Ajna Mansion.

crimsontadpoles

I was never that keen on Pokemon Black/White. It was great that they were at least trying to do something different with the story, but it just never really clicked with me. It was also the point of the series where everything started feeling far too linear, and the rivals became too friendly and popping up everywhere.

On the other hand, I loved Pokemon Black 2/White 2. The story is arguably not as well written as in B1W1. In B2W2 it's just a generic bad guys trying to take over the world story. Even so, I really enjoyed the story in B2W2. The bad guys are more of a threat than usual, with them managing to freeze an entire town, and the big bad attempting to freeze or perhaps even kill the main character.

Plus, to me B2W2 feels like the last pokemon games where the developers went all in and tried to make the games as great as possible. There's some great side activities, such as the Pokestar Studios which involves filming movies while controlling the pokemon actors, the PWT which is a battle tournament that includes gym leaders and champions from all the past regions, and the Black Tower/White Treehollow which is other battle facilities where you have to battle trainers while trying to figure out how to ascend/descend. There's also various new areas to explore, and plenty of pokemon and legendaries in the world to capture.

HallowMoonshadow

Finally managed to pull yourself away from three houses ey @Ralizah ?

Who's in your party and why are ya grinding anyway? Vanilla run of just reaching the end ya shouldn't particularly need to grind. Though the final boss can be a bit tough without the bonus bosses being fought/high levels

That... sounds pretty darn neat actually @crimsontadpoles about Black/White 2! Thanks for the info

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Somewhat. 60 hours into my first playthrough, Three Houses is getting moved to secondary game status.

HP Noise sources are hard to come by, so I'm leaping at the opportunity to farm some. Also using this as an opportunity to work on some of my skills. MC is balanced physical/magic (slightly higher stats for strength, though), Gale is primarily magic, and Cielo handles healing, buffing, and debuffing (primarily; MC also has access to some decent debuffs). Right now I'm working to get Cielo to learn Lightning Resist, after which I'll be (grudgingly) dropping the coin for him to learn debilitate.

I don't NEED to do this to progress (DDS has actually been one of the easiest SMT games I've played so far), but it is fun to exploit a prime opportunity like this.

HallowMoonshadow

Ha ha sounds like you're really enjoying it @Ralizah

I actually stuck with Argilla and Heat in DDS for most of the game with my Serph being Magic and Endurance based. I do quite like Cielo and Gale as well though. The cast's pretty well rounded in my opinion.

I think DDS2 is a bit harder just by default and of course there's the hard difficulty option to boot

I've only got like an hour left of Code Veronica... So I might balance a bit of Crash Team Racing:Nitro Fueled, Starting Horizon: Zero Dawn and maybe start up up an PS1/PS2 RPG myself to balance it out & whilst I have the time off of work

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I'll just be over here in the corner, banging my fists on the table and chanting "Horizon! Horizon! Horizon!" until you start playing it.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Tasuki

So I have just found out that I need a new AC Unit for my house. So let's bring up my tally of what I need of the house.

2 bathrooms need remodeling
Kitchen needs remodeling
New Roof
New AC Unit

So pretty much I need a new house. Anyone who says they enjoy or want to own their own home is either crazy, stupid or both.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

kyleforrester87

@Tasuki I’m getting the bathroom done in the next month or two, then need to think about the garden. I should google the infinite money cheat.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Kidfried

@Tasuki Ouch, good luck.

I have a lot of friends who now just bought a house and keep insisting on how great fit is, but to me it always seems like so much hassle. Worrying about repairs, decorations, et cetera.

@kyleforrester87

Untitled

@RogerRoger @Th3Solution Replying to the 'games you beat' thread, about the backlog and... games basically taking too dang long.

I've been using HLTB for a long, long time now. Like a movie, or a book, I just have this tendency to want to know what I'm getting myself into. Not because I want to plan or anything, but it kind of sets my expectations right too. Like with MGS5, which was more than twice as long as any of the previous games. If I had gone in expecting a 20 hour experience, I would have burned out on the game much faster.

Same with AC Origins. On one hand I dislike the game for being so much longer than its predecessors, which were great popcorn palette cleansers for me, but I got in fully knowing the breadth of the journey, and it has helped me dosing my enthousiasm. If that makes ANY sense at all.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried I'm the same with buying a house, all my family have and hassle me to get on the property ladder. But all they do is complain on how much money they have to spend on repairs and how long until they pay off their mortgage.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Rudy_Manchego

@Kidfried I use HLTB all the time because time is a big deal and I want to know what type of game I am letting myself in for. I typically spend longer on games than the average but it does help give me an idea of scope. I'm not bothered so much about length as value as some of my fave games have only been an hour or so.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

ZeD

@Tasuki i have just bought my first house and it needs a little work too;

• Full rewire
  • Upstairs back end windows replacements
  • Downstairs back bay window changing to french doors
  • Minor roof repairs

Then we can move in. After that, replacement Kitchen & Bathroom.
Personally, even though I am going to spend a little bit on these improvements, it is far better than renting. Mortgage is half that of rent and it is mine!

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

HallowMoonshadow

Ha I've actually already played Horizon: Zero Dawn through once before @RogerRoger !

Just after Ralizah's brill review and Shadow Of War's increasing mediocrity I decided to play that instead

Fight_Teza_Fight

Hey everyone, sorry I haven’t been around lately!
As some of you may recall, I recently got engaged.
We’re planning to hold the wedding sometime mid-next year.
I’m still very much alive, but I’ve had to pick up a second job, as I’m also planning to move to London by year-end.

I’ve recently freed up some time & managed to actually play some games, so expect to see me around .

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic