Forums

Topic: The Art Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 267

zupertramp

Haven't been here in awhile and man there's some cool stuff since I last checked in.

@Zuljaras love the turtles and love the repurposing of the defective cartridge on the doom slayer sculpture. reminds me of the time I had to take a picture of a fan with the cord cut off so they'd send me another under warranty. Regrettably I did not reuse it as art though.

@Anti-Matter great work on the 3D DJ piece. I agree it translates well. Also digging that Switch anniversary drawing. Props.

Anyway here's a pic from my struggling artist progeny. It's from their Patreon but seemed appropriate here:

Untitled

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Anti-Matter

@zupertramp
Thanks. 😃
I will make some hand drawing pictures for next academic year drawing lesson.
3D DJ was part of my drawing lesson for grade 4 & 5 by providing my students with 2 copies of DJ templates and I put two different DJ design (boy and girl version with no faces since I asked the students to choose the DJ based on their gender, draw the face and the hair style by themself) and they have to decorate the DJ booth template with their imagination and assemble the templates after they cut the template.

Anti-Matter

nessisonett

@zupertramp I’d buy a comic with art like that! It reminds me of that early to mid 00s comic book art where the colours are nice and blocky and really pop off the page. If they haven’t already then they should definitely check out Adrian Alphona’s work, it’s in the same ballpark and could serve as some inspiration!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

zupertramp

@nessisonett looked him up and I recognize the art (some of the Ms. Marvel covers anyway) but hadn't heard of him. I kinda don't have enough of an eye for art specifics to draw comparisons - I typically find I Iike what I like and don't what I don't with very little justification - so I'll take your word for it and pass the mention along.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

@zupertramp Ahh, the tried and true method of art criticism - It just looks nice/not nice! I can tell you right now, I’ve written essays about art and I still judge a lot of art based on that exact same principle. Probably why I’ve never really taken to Picasso, Modigliani etc. Whereas painters like JMW Turner, Jackson Pollock and Umberto Boccioni, they might all have incredibly different styles but I look at their work and I think ‘yep, that’s visually appealing’. It’s all well and good to write a thousand words on the sociopolitical statement behind a painting, Picasso’s Guernica is a powerful statement on war for example, but I wouldn’t say I enjoy looking at something that I don’t really like that much. Minor tangent aside, I’d recommend the original Runaways volumes, that drawing really feels like what would happen if Heather Mason was sucked into that world!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

zupertramp

@nessisonett yeah I remember BS-ing my way through Art Appreciation and don't get me wrong, it was nice to be introduced to all the artists and their various works throughout history but yeah at the end of the day some things are just more visually arresting than others and I'm not sure I'm all that interested in why. Like the first time I saw Map by Jasper Johns. Mesmerized. Why? No idea really.

Might pick up a Runaways TPB if I see a used copy at the comic shop.

Zuljaras

@kyleforrester87 This is an enemy from Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance and it is called "Skeleton Glass". The only thing I have as a reference is the game sprite so it is my guess as well that it is skin hanging from its bones.

Zuljaras

@ThereThere thank you!

Well it depends on how lazy I am. Some sculptures I do in 3-4 hours without painting them. The painting is around an hour.

I use polymer clay. Super Sculpey is the brand I prefer as it is perfect but I use other brands as well.

I too love to draw as you can see from my other posts here

I forgot to put the video of me making the Skeleton glass!!! Here it is!

Edited on by Zuljaras

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic