Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 1,841 to 1,860 of 2,131

Ralizah

@NedStarksGhost The game does a mostly excellent job of wordlessly communicating how the player should tackle sometimes complex sequences of events in order to defeat the colossi. And most of the battles themselves are very tightly structured, which you'll learn if you attempt the time trials.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

NedStarksGhost

Finished it. Have to say overall a really enjoyable experience. A few things were frustrating, but that I'll boil down to the fact it's a PS2 games with a new skin. The atmosphere, variety of challenges and general mechanics I thought were brilliant.

Now onto spoilers;

I really did not expect that in that emotional ending. It was truly gut wrenching, but I always had a suspicion things didn't seem right. Especially due to absorbing each Colossi after defeating it.

I felt so sad when I thought the horse died, but happy he returned albeit a bit worse for wear.

It felt so sad though when the demon was being locked away to another world, and you are unable to stop it. You have one last attempt by clutching onto the steps until inevitably your stamina drains... That was tough.

The ending is interesting though. Is the child with horns the demon reincarnated? Or is it something new? I like that it's open to interpretation. Was a brilliant way to end, emotional ride but felt conclusive overall.

So overall whilst it was janky in parts, I'm glad I played it. I won't go back to do extra stuff as I feel I've had my time with it now. But it was definitely worthwhile!

NedStarksGhost

LtSarge

@NedStarksGhost I think the baby with the horns is a reference to the protagonist in the game that Japan Studio made before Shadow of the Colossus, which is Ico. The main character there is a boy with horns. Don't know if that's been confirmed or not since the game's release, but it makes sense to me at least.

LtSarge

nessisonett

Beat colossi 9, 10 and 11 tonight. The latter two weren’t too difficult, although 11 was pretty aggressive!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@NedStarksGhost Glad you enjoyed it. It really is one of the greatest games I’ve played. A lot of my enjoyment (if that’s even the right word) of the game came from the impact of the narrative.

In my mind it’s all about choice and consequences. How we can be blinded by our own wants and desires to create greater problems when we don’t think about ramifications and morals of our choices. It’s a message that is particularly poignant in todays world, what with the pandemic and all.

The reincarnation of Wander as an infant with horns is symbolic, I think. First off, the horns are representative of the evil he brought upon himself by destroying the innocent and awakening Dormin as a consequence of his foolishness. The fact he’s a baby is perhaps an nod to a return to innocence and starting over. Perhaps sealing the forbidden lands to contain Dormin has that effect, since the colossi were essentially innocent and childlike in a way. But yes, the horned boy also seems clear reference to the game Ico, and all of Ueda’s games seems to occur in the same universe.

If you’re a fan of Agro (and who isn’t?) then you might enjoy The Last Guardian. Ueda said that he was inspired to create an entire game about the relationship between human and creature because players loved and related to Agro so much.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

NedStarksGhost

@Th3solution that's a great write up, and I agree with it all.

I will check out The Last Guardian at some point for sure. I can see myself really enjoying that!

NedStarksGhost

nessisonett

@NedStarksGhost The first thing I did was climb the podium things as I saw the handholds. It all fell into place from there!

KilloWertz

I haven't participated at all, but have randomly thought about the fact that I never see any new posts from this thread. Is the Game Club here dead?

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

nessisonett

@KilloWertz Apologies, I just have an awful lot on at the moment! I’m in my final year of uni and have exams next week plus a project due at the end of May. I’ll make sure to revive it when I have just a little bit more time on my hands.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett @KilloWertz How about we start a vote for the next game to start in May? I don't mind doing the 'admin' until Ness has more time to do it. I can easily get all the tags from a previous post.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Feel free! I think there were a couple of games in the running like Sonic Mania but if everybody’s like me then they’ll have plenty in the backlog they’ve bought on impulse in the sales 😂

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny @RogerRoger @phil_j @crimsontadpoles @Ralizah @Th3solution @Thrillho @mookysam @LieutenantFatman @LobsterJohnson @Tjuz @Kidfried @Octane @Col_McCafferty @DerMeister @Mr_B021 @Fight_Teza_Fight @R1spam @TraCuz- @Diamond_Dog @LtSarge

OK guys, it is the return of Game Club! @nessisonett is tied up (not literally, don't worry) at the mo, so I'm just helping out for the time being. So you are not stuck with me permanently lol!

If I've missed anyone off the tags, apologies, it was not intentional! And if anyone wants to join in, come off the tags, or ​thinks of fellow forumites that would like take part, let me know.

I've copied the below list from the last poll, minus the two games that was played last. Any suggestions for other games? I see Slay the Spire and Spongebob were on PS Plus this month, so those could be good to throw into the mix.

Bioshock 2
Sonic Mania
The Last Guardian

We will probably get this going for next month, unless a few want to get stuck into a something smaller in the next couple of days, then I say that is OK too.

OK, let's go! Hopefully I've not broken too many rules of Game Club!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

KilloWertz

@nessisonett It's ok. Honestly, I'm usually too busy with other games (I'm still playing Horizon Forbidden West), which is why I've never participated. I was more or less just curious, that's all.

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I might participate for Bioshock 2. I also might try Slay the Spire if there is a group playing along. It’s the kind of game that will take a little peer pressure for me to try. Already tried and didn’t gel with Sonic Mania. Already played and enjoyed TLG.
Others I have which I’m wanting to play from my backlog that might fit the GameClub type of game - The Pathless, Hades, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ghostrunner, Star Wars Squadrons. To name a few.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder You broke the most important rule of Game Club by talking about Game Club!

Thanks for the tag, and good to see this back. I don't have anything pressing to add to the vote, but could always offer tips and / or generally join in with a conversation about Sonic Mania, The Last Guardian or Star Wars: Squadrons (and, if I do end up renewing my PS Plus after all, could also make myself available for multiplayer matches in the latter, as well). Beyond those three, I don't really have anything from my own backlog to add, but will keep an eye on the topic regardless.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Some good suggestions there, and all seem a decent fit for Game Club. Ghostrunner and Squadrons were on Plus too.

@RogerRoger God Darn it! @nessisonett is going to go all Tyler Durden on me! 😂

ralphdibny

@JohnnyShoulder cheers for the tag and the thread revive!

I would try and play some Bioshock 2 if that got chosen. I struggle to find time to actually play games these days but that has been on my "to play" list since we played the first one on game club

See ya!

R1spam

@JohnnyShoulder cheers for the tag! I've played Bioshock 2 but would definitely join in a chat about it as I enjoyed it. I know this is heresy but even as an og megadrive owner back in the day, I never loved sonic despite playing 1 and 2 so sonic mania is kinda out for me. Between elden ring, tunic and guardians of the galaxy, my plates pretty full in April. I'd be up for trying out slay the spire down the line though.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic