Forums

Topic: Manga and Anime discussion

Posts 841 to 860 of 1,073

nessisonett

@Ralizah Oh wow, I watched that when it first aired and absolutely loved it. It’s just one of the most heartwarming shows out there.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Cloud_strife56

If you guys haven’t watched toradora yet you should really do like it’s already on Netflix. Basically the shows about love alright just saying now in case you are not interested

it’s easy mkay

nessisonett

@Cloud_strife56 Toradora’s great until the last couple of episodes which are some of my least favourite episodes of any anime I’ve seen. I’m not a Taiga fan anyway but it was just a nonsense series of events.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Did you read the manga or watch the anime of Berserk? Miyazaki was partially inspired by it for Dark Souls 1.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

blonko

DeathNote. Best anime ever. I'd go much farther and consider it the best show ever constructed. It's so acceptable. Light Yagami is likewise the best hero ever. He's likewise one of a kind in that he's a lowlife hero. I do need to state not every person likes him however, in which case you'll simply agree with the enemy (and saint) L. I can't suggest you watch this enough in the event that you have an interest in anime. It's on Netflix as well. I just have one major issue with the arrangement, yet I won't state what it is even in ambiguous terms as it very well may be a spoiler.

blonko

Ralizah

I've been revisiting Rurouni Kenshin with a friend, and I'm happy to see my rosy opinion of the Kyoto Arc remains intact. I'm not much for shounen or action-heavy series in general, but Kenshin's second major arc is excellent from beginning to end. Better villains, better fight scenes, better music... hell, the overall animation quality seems higher in general, too.

On that note, I also have to throw out a mention to the four-episode storyline that introduces the Kyoto Arc. It has probably the best single fight in the series, is impressively atmospheric, and features OAV-quality animation that smokes the rest of the series (although obviously not up to the standards of the masterful Tsuiokuhen OAVs).

And not to sound shallow, but this arc has the strongest concentration of sexy men in the series.

Saito <3

Untitled

@blonko Watched it for the first time a few months back. It's quite gripping until L dies, after which it completely falls apart.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RR529

@Ralizah, I love Kenshin, but it's been ages since I've watched it. It's a shame the final arc of the manga was never animated though, as it naturally tied into the rest of the series better than the anime only arcs the TV series ended with (plus, the author of One Piece worked under Kenshin's mangaka at the time and snuck in an image of the Strawhat's pirate flag on a bomb, lol).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@RR529 The lack of a proper adaptation of Jinchuu is one of the great disappointments I've suffered as an anime fan. It's really, really good. A properly animated version of that storyline would have made the Kenshin anime my indisputable all-time favorite anime.

As it stands, Kenshin is great up until episode... 63... I think? And then it's just pure, nonsensical filler from then on.

If nothing else, the Tsuioku-hen OAVs that drew from Jinchuu to flesh out Kenshin's backstory are absolute masterpieces. Seisou-hen could have been good, but it was too short to even touch the bulk of the Jinchuu storyline.

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

Watched it for the first time a few months back. It's quite gripping until L dies, after which it completely falls apart.

I don't think I've heard anyone say they really like the second half of DeathNote @Ralizah... At least I've never heard anyone say they like it more then the first half 😅

A bit surprised to hear you only just saw it though seeing as it's one of the more mainstream animes/manga series... Didya watch it all the way to end? The anime has a bit of a different ending compared to the manga...

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

To be honest, I didn’t really like the first half of Death Note either. It’s a good concept but for me it never took that in a direction that I actually enjoyed. In terms of suspense-y thrillers with twists and turns, Monster just blows it out the water for me.

HallowMoonshadow

That's fair enough @nessisonett... Never heard of that series before. Not that I'm all that familar with or follow anime all that much. 😅

I have actually been watching some anime recently myself for the first time in a while. Haven't watched any anime since I saw the absolutely diabolical second season of Tokyo Ghoul back in January or whatever.

My daughter bought Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy Of The Duelist: Link Evolution in the Black Friday sale (Which I'm finding pretty fun to play).

Thing we're both only familiar with the original series (Which is a guilty pleasure of mine) and LOTD has story campaigns for every single series... So we've started watching Yu-Gi-Oh GX.

The dub of course cus I'm a scrub lol

... It's... certainly something.

We've watched nine episodes so far and it hasn't quite gripped me like the original series. The slice of life high school antics & "monster of the week" style of episodes feels a bit... aimless at times compared to the original series which instantly got into tournament arcs, villains and stuff.

Not very fond of the protagonist Jaden or his va either... He's no Dan Green and his hammyness as the pharaoh that's for damn sure

Also because 4Kids one episode that was clearly revolved alcohol was changed to "hot sauce". Yep. That "Crazy Tiger" monster card was totally drunk... On hot sauce

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I have such fond memories of Yu-Gi-Oh GX from my childhood! The 4Kids dub is horrendous but in the best way possible. I play the GBA Dual Academy game on and off and it’s like a proper life sim just set in the world of GX.

HallowMoonshadow

I mean Yu-Gi-Oh! as a whole is completely ridiculous in the best way possible @nessisonett (Why do people seem to always get physically drained, injured or even hospitalised for playing a children's card game?) ... So a ridiculous/horrendous dub suits it just fine in my eyes 😅

I can't wait to see 5D's which is apparently card games on motorcycles... For some reason

Black_Swordsman

@crimsontadpoles Yes definitely. I did a couple of builds based on Guts, the protagonist from the manga and anime in Dark Souls Remastered and Dark Souls 3 which can be seen in my avatar and profile banner.

Do you think you will watch it if it looks like something you would very much enjoy, as you say?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I tend to avoid mainstream fare most of the time. Although, in the case of Death Note, it was just one of those shows I intended to watch but just never got around to until now.

And yeah, I watched the anime from beginning to end. I'm sure the manga is probably better. They usually are. Is it different enough that it's worth picking up, in your opinion?

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

I don't think there's much of a difference between the manga and the anime @Ralizah aside from the ending (Which isn't that different either)

From what I remember when he's finally caught Light goes out in a much more cowardly fashion compared to the anime which gives him a bit more of a dignified death and extends it a little.

... I've heard the japanese live action films are interesting and go in a very different direction? Never seen them myself.

The American/Netflix movie's diabolical. Though it does have Willem Dafoe voicing Ryuk. That's the only good thing about it lol

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic