Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 2,861 to 2,880 of 3,698

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett Oh I know lmao I played FF I, II and IV last when I was like 9 or 10

It and XIII-1 have been unanimously considered among the bottom of the barrel in terms of entries but at least it's better than Mystic Quest

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah, Mythic Quest is the sort of game that makes you feel lowkey insulted while playing it. II and XIII are probably my least favourite ones as well although I never could get into VIII either. The only one I’ve got left to at least attempt to play is V but I have no clue which version I should be getting with that. Another heads up, III is brutally difficult, I had it on DS and it’s one of the most punishing and difficult RPGs I’ve played. It’s pretty good though.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett I thought VIII was cool for what it was but unlike VII and IX it felt very much like a product of its time. It was probably the most "trying to be in with the 90s" kind of JRPG in terms of aesthetic that I've played from Square during that era. I can see why it's referred to as the black sheep of the numbered entries but it's a fine game regardless and I actually kinda like Squall as a protagonist

TheFrenchiestFry

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry It’s just the mechanics for me, especially the GF and junctioning stuff. Also the level scaling with enemies was strange. I totally appreciate that they went for something different but I’ve tried to play that game a few times now and I fall off around Disc 2 every time.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett The GF and card systems are certainly different. I personally prefer just a straightforward ATB system like FFI-FFVII or FFIX without any specific frills but the idea of junctioning specific magic stock and creature summons kinda like a more concise version of the Materia system definitely was an interesting concept to say the least

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

MarlonJohan

I loved the easter eggs in FFIX. The weapons of previous protagonists was a great touch especially when you saw the Buster Sword and the Gunblade. I think Firion's weapons were also there which was dope even if you don't like FFII.

MarlonJohan

nessisonett

Thought I’d stick my thoughts on FFV here as I make some progress. Don’t know how many others here have played it but hopefully somebody, somewhere is interested!

So I’ve played just over 3 hours today and just finished North Mountain and went to Tycoon Castle. I’m really enjoying the combat and job systems so far, it’s very Bravely Default actually. I’m going in mostly blind so my tactics are probably stupid but better to learn than be told the optimal party makeup. I trained Monk on all 4 members until I learned Barehanded, which means I can deal solid damage on every class now, making training my mages much easier. It’s a great range of jobs already and it seems like there’s space for many more!

nessisonett

Oh, how I long for the Woolsey days. Clive is just like Terra being called Tina, they think it’s an exotic Western name when it’s like being called Brian. They should have given us a proper name in the West but no, translators have to be faithful these days.

HallowMoonshadow

I know the new protagonist is Clive Rosfield but all my brain wants to do is correct it to Claire Redfield lol

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

Just hit 8 and a half hours in FF5 Advance. I’m really enjoying myself, just got the airship although after two shipwrecks, a wind drake I seemingly left somewhere and a black Chocobo I rode for 5 seconds... I doubt I’ll have it for long. I’m a bit confused by which jobs I should be levelling so I’m just switching at random when I feel like it. I expect to see some sorta plot twist, I’ve been to most of the world already but not spoiled myself so we’ll see. I’m fair tearing through it though!

nessisonett

Man, I’ve been sleeping on Final Fantasy V. Just witnessed that death and it’s handled incredibly well. The gameplay’s just so well refined and yeah, I might have somewhat spoiled the challenge by spending 10 hours grinding but it’s still great fun. I think I’m right at the end of what would inevitably be disc 2 if this was a PS1 title. I haven’t been this hooked on an RPG in a while!

belmont

@nessisonett I love how the multiple worlds were handled in FFV. I saw you play in GBA. There some very cool post game new stuff in this version.

belmont

nessisonett

@belmont Yeah, I think I might dip into the post-game stuff because I’ve managed to sink 30 hours into it in a week! It’s really quite brilliant.

HallowMoonshadow

Hey @nessisonett you were playing FFXIV a while back using the free trial if I remember right?

I was thinking of maybe giving it a go some point after hearing all the praise of it's storylines and fans being enthusiastic for XVI because of the staff working on it were also part of realm reborn.

How easy is it to get into for someone who's never played an MMO before in her life? 😅

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Well I enjoyed it enough to renew my subscription so I would say it’s definitely worth playing! Honestly, I’m not a huge fan of MMO gameplay but FFXIV is enough like FFXII that I didn’t mind. There’s just loads to do as well so you’ll basically never run out of things to do. It does start off quite slow but I put 80 hours into it in about 3 weeks so it’s pretty addictive. One piece of advice is probably not to pick Archer as your first class, I did and it was a bit hard trying to solo a lot of the story content!

HallowMoonshadow

It doesn't seem to have reviewed all that well @DrillsAndKillsDK and whilst it's free to play it still costs my valuable time! Plus I really don't trust the monetisation of it after Genshin Impact in the similar "Free" to play category😅

Still I'll keep it in mind!

nessisonett wrote:

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Well I enjoyed it enough to renew my subscription so I would say it’s definitely worth playing! Honestly, I’m not a huge fan of MMO gameplay but FFXIV is enough like FFXII that I didn’t mind. There’s just loads to do as well so you’ll basically never run out of things to do. It does start off quite slow but I put 80 hours into it in about 3 weeks so it’s pretty addictive. One piece of advice is probably not to pick Archer as your first class, I did and it was a bit hard trying to solo a lot of the story content!

That's high praise indeed @nessisonett! (The fact it feels enough like FXII to you is a bit of a boon to me as well)

I'll be sure to keep those in mind! Can you change your class whenever you like or is it locked to whichever one I start off with?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic