Forums

Topic: Dex's Diner - The Star Wars Topic

Posts 461 to 480 of 810

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets I know what you mean. I reckon I'm still gonna be halfway through my Ghost of Tsushima NG+ run when stuff like Gotham Knights and Sonic Frontiers starts dropping within the next couple of months, but I'm gonna prioritise, for sure. Good on you for listening to your mood, as well. You've got to enjoy your hobby, right? For so long I was forcing myself to play through games I didn't wanna play, because I'd worked out a system and set a sequence. I've had way more fun since I've just gone with my gut, and it's almost made it more certain that I'll get around to everything eventually, if that makes sense.

And thank you! They're a Hot Toys deluxe double pack (apologies; took me forever to realise there was a difference between Hot Toys and Sideshow, and so the two names are still somewhat interchangeable to me). Your restraint in leaving your Boba boxed up is admirable! I've posed one of mine already, and will sort out the other in the morning. Pictures to follow!

The ones they're gonna make from The Book of Boba Fett (Daimyo Boba and Cad Bane) aren't due out until next September. Gives me plenty of time to save up. They look stunning.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

That's one sweet looking display @RogerRoger. Sideshow and Hot Toys both do good stuff, but I personally feel Hot Toys generally have a slightly higher standard of detail, especially with head sculpts. Looking at your pictures it looks like they nailed the sculpt again with Temuera's face.
Did you get them from Sideshow or did you manage to find a UK based seller (if you don't mind me asking)?

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets Thank you! I may or may not have taken to calling it The Shelf of Boba Fett. No idea where I'll fit Daimyo Boba and Cad Bane in next year. Maybe I'll rotate out the Mando elements.

Yeah, I think you're right. Some of the Sideshow head sculpts have looked a bit hit-and-miss, whereas I've yet to be disappointed in a Hot Toys likeness. Honestly, the accuracy of the Temuera Morrison face is frighteningly good, even moreso in person than in the photographs above. That said, I'm a teensy bit disappointed that they chose to sculpt his resting face. I suppose that's how they laser-scanned him, but I think I'd have preferred one of the many brilliantly savage expressions he frequently pulls!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

But hey, first world problems an' all.

I got these from a trusted, reputable UK seller. I got stung last year when I tried to chase a couple of bargains via eBay, and am still having to deal with the fallout. Never again. I'd never order from Sideshow directly, either. According to widespread reports, they have a nasty habit of holding international deliveries hostage with hidden, last-minute import fees.

Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger To be fair I'm pretty sure all their figures have a 'resting' face as standard. Maybe it's the least divisive of looks.

I've brought a few things in the past direct from Sideshow but was fully aware I would need to pay import tax on them. I could mostly estimate that cost but sometimes it seemed a bit 'off'. I remember one statue actually being way less than I expected but I wasn't going to highlight it. One handy thing was their rewards points. When I knew I wasn't going to be buying much if anything anymore, I cashed them in and got my Hot Toys Doc Oct suit Spidey for pretty much just the delivery/tax cost.
Ultimately, I found a good few UK sites and preferred using them most of the time. I don't think the price ended up being much different but knowing exactly what you're paying from the start helps.
I always got good prices/service from Collectiblesdirect and Moviefigures sites.

Oh yeah, I had an email with something that might interest you, but I'll pop that on the relevant thread in a sec.

BearsEatBeets

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets I think all human characters do, either because of actor approval or because they've been laser-scanned. There are a small handful of exceptions (the new Obi-Wan has a little bit of life in his face) and a lot of aliens come with alternate heads. Cad Bane's gonna have three!

Untitled

Nice to hear a positive experience for once! Am glad it worked out for you, and that you found the rewards points system, er... well, rewarding! Hope you don't mind me saying so, but I'd imagine you must've bought quite a bit from them, in order to get a Spidey for practically free? But yeah, it's just far easier and simpler to trust a trustworthy UK seller. There are some who are very fair, and either manage to absorb the import fees or add a reasonable, relatively small premium. The past couple of years, I've been leaning on Star Action Figures for most of my Star Wars merch, and would recommend them.

Speaking of which, and this might interest @LN78 as well, fans of the OG Boba Fett shouldn't sleep on his current Vintage Collection incarnation, from Return of the Jedi. It's simply one of the best Boba action figures ever created; perhaps even the best, all things considered. He comes on one of those retro-styled backing cards, too. There's plenty of stock floating around at the moment, but I reckon he'll get very expensive in future so, if you're tempted, I'd advise acting sooner rather than later.

Untitled

Goes without saying, but he's the one on the left. Daimyo Boba is equally impressive, of course, but I doubt his design will hold the same appeal. That, and he's randomly a "deluxe" for no good reason, so you end up paying extra for a couple of dented Stormtrooper helmets.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Thanks for the tip. I've had a look at a few of those vintage collection figures but I think they're a little too pricey for what they are.

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger I’d never really considered that Hot Toys may have used head-scans for their sculpts but I suppose most of the projects they do are from films where the actors most likely had that done for special effects purposes. My RotJ Luke and Alien Ripley would have to be just gifted sculpting though.

The multiple head thing is definitely the way to go, but of course comes with an added cost.

I won’t say how much, but I got about half a dozen figures and a similar amount of statues from them (including 3 of my 4 Prime One Witcher line). So yeah a substantial sum.
I definitely allowed myself to be too impulsive with some of my collectible purchases in the past and I will probably offload a few pieces some day. (I have a few Force Awakens Hot Toys I shouldn’t have got).
So anything I add to my collection is more likely to be of the small kind like that Bobba you mentioned if at all.

BearsEatBeets

RogerRoger

@LN78 No problemo! I'll admit, I only really get 'em whenever they're on sale. Those two up there are the only ones I've paid full price for. If you ever see that Boba going for a discount, though...!

@BearsEatBeets Yeah, it must be a blend, and there's no denying the talent of their sculptors, especially with regards the examples you cite. I was particularly impressed with their Dooku from a few years back, given the passing of Christopher Lee and the fact that his head scans from the prequels were good, but never that good, so it must've been done by eye.

And you're right, of course. Sometimes the extra thing they put in a "deluxe" version makes me laugh (it's like a cape, or a tiny hologram or something) but extra heads would be worthwhile, for sure.

Oh, my apologies, I'd never ask how much you spent! Was absolutely asking how many figures you'd gotten from them and honestly, I expected the quantity to be more, in order to get a free Spidey, so that makes for quite a generous rewards scheme. And I totally get the same, regards impulse purchases, so I understand. I've been sorting a lot of my stuff out lately, and have got quite the "to hopefully make a profit on someday" collection building in various boxes and cupboards. That being said, part of me wants to find some kid who'll actually play with it all, and sell it at a loss. I mean, they are toys, right?!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

I’ve been enjoying The Clone Wars a lot more now that I’m just skipping the arcs that don’t really interest me. It’s a bit like watching a long anime in that 90% feels like filler but there’s some brilliant episodes hidden away. The second half of the third and then the fourth season feel like a big step up though, with them getting closer to Revenge of the Sith and the seeds being planted alluding to Darth Vader. It was nice seeing animated Qui-Gon too, especially voiced by Liam Neeson!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Really glad to hear that you're finding the fun in The Clone Wars. As a general rule, once they update the character designs and introduce the Phase 2 Clone Trooper helmets, you're almost safe to stop skipping and watch every episode. There are still occasional clunkers (not clankers) but the ratio is inverted, and the show becomes superb more often than not.

And yeah, that Mortis arc is amazing! A lot of what it dealt with was supposed to form the basis for the sequel trilogy, but something tells me they're still gonna be super-important going forward.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I think the Mortis arc is probably my favourite so far, alongside Umbara which I just finished last night. It’s interesting how the ones which deal mostly with concepts and characters new to the Clone Wars have been my favourite!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I was gonna say, if Mortis didn't grab you, wait 'til you get to Umbara!

And you're right, as great as it is for The Clone Wars to add more depth to pre-existing characters, it's the show's original creations that I remember it for. I always think of folks like Rex, Ahsoka, Bane and Ventress a beat before I think of Ani, Obi, Dooku and Grievous.

Do you reckon you'll continue on and try Star Wars: Rebels when you're done?

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Yeah, Rebels looks pretty interesting to me and I think the more traditional story structure will be a bit easier to digest. I get what they were going for with Clone Wars as it’s clearly inspired by the old serials you’d get in the cinema back in the day but it does make it quite impenetrable!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Exactly. They settle down eventually, but having chunks of everybody's storylines scattered about, out of sequence, threw me off a little at first, too. Rebels has a similar "made for kids" feel to its first season, but it grows with its audience, and its linearity is a huge help. In many ways, whilst it's a little safer and more predictable than its predecessor, its storytelling is far superior to The Clone Wars.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger I watched the first episode of "Andor" this morning and it was (hushed tones) absolutely terrific - why the hell isn't all "Star Wars" content written this well or so good looking? I'm definitely going to watch parts 2 and 3 later on.
PS Just looked it up. Tony Gilroy was Oscar nominated for writing one of my favourite movies -"Michael Clayton" and it was shot on real sets and locations and not in front of a giant LED backdrop. Questions answered! Sorry!
PPS Just finished Parts 2 and 3. I'm taken aback by how good every element ( the shootout in the warehouse with the dropping blocks and tackles was incredible! ) of this show has been so far. Bravo!

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Th3solution

@LN78 Nice! Sounds really enticing.
As someone who is behind on my Star Wars content, is there a need to have watched any particular other show besides the movies in order to understand and get the full effect?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LN78

@Th3solution I'm completely out of touch with "Star Wars" - the last Disney+ show I watched was "Mando" Season 1 and I haven't seen any of the "Clone Wars" related animated stuff. I tuned into "Andor" this morning out of morbid curiosity with a "why the hell are Disney scraping the bottom of the barrel making a show about a secondary character from a secondary movie?" kind of attitude. Boy was I wrong - beautifully written, performed, shot and scored throughout. The best "Star Wars" content I've experienced in years - no Jedi, no Force, no Tatooine and no bloody Skywalkers. Incredible.

LN78

Th3solution

@LN78 I’ll definitely give it a try. Rogue One had a unique feeling to it, so I’m glad to see they are keeping in line with that direction.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@LN78 I'm really pleased that, after all this time and all this content, you've found a new bit of Star Wars that you like! Fingers tightly crossed that it continues to impress!

@Th3solution Judging from some of the trailers, there might be some scattered prequel-era callbacks and elements which give a nod to the shows that are continuing its legacy (most notably The Bad Batch) but I doubt it'll be anything integral to the ongoing plot. Comments from the production staff suggest that they've gone out of their way to avoid crossovers and easter eggs, so you should be okay.

The first three episodes are devoid of connective tissue, except beyond Cassian Andor himself, but even then I'd argue that there isn't a desperate need to have watched Rogue One beforehand.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic