Forums

Topic: 2016 Olympic Games Thread

Posts 81 to 100 of 121

RR529

Day 7

Women's Beach Volleyball - Watched USA's Walsh-Jennings & Ross VS an Italian pair. The Italians played a good game, but the USA won it 2 sets to 0. Also watched China's Wang & Yuan VS a Brazilian pair, with the Brazilians winning 2 sets to 0 (so now I only have one team left to watch...).

Women's Skeet Shooting - The medal matches. Watched USA VS China for the Bronze (which the USA won), and then two Italians faced off for the Gold. More interesting than the Air Rifle thing I watched on Day 1.

Mens Individual Archery - the medal matches. Watched USA VS Japan (USA won), France VS Netherlands (France won), USA VS South Korea (SK won), USA VS Netherlands for Bronze (USA won), and finally France VS South Korea for the Gold (SK won).

Swimming - Managed to catch quite a few of the Swimming events, including Katie Ladecky's astounding performance in the Women's 800m Freestyle, and another USA swimmer who won the 50m Freestyle (what's astounding about this is that he won it before... 16 years ago at the Sydney Olympics!). Too bad Phelps couldn't nab his 5th Gold of the games (he had to settle for Silver).

Other - Also caught the end of the Men's 20km Walk Race (China won Gold & Silver), and watched some of the Track & Field qualifiers.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Day 8

Swimming - Caught some of today's Swimming events, including Team USA's Gold wins in the Women's Team 400m Medley & Men's Team 400m Medley (the latter was Michael Phelps 23rd career Olympic Gold, and his last, as he's retiring. He was so emotional on the podium).

Track & Field - Watched some of the qualifying races, including Usain Bolt's.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

get2sammyb

I stayed up super late last night watching the track and field. Was disappointing Jess Ennis-Hill couldn't retain her gold, but she did really well considering she's not long had a baby. Mo Farah was absolutely incredible.

Also watched tons of the velodrome and the tennis semi-finals.

Looking forward to Andy Murray's gold medal match today.

Edited on by get2sammyb

themcnoisy

Its a bit mad Footy, Rugby and Golf have only 1 gold counted towards the total whereas Archery, Rowing, swimming and Cycling have loads of variations and golds up for grabs.

How about keepy uppys, heads and volleys or single cupy in the footy, skins, driving range and team play in the golf? Just seems a bit strange the medal distribution to me.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RR529

Day 9

Women's Beach Volleyball - Watched USA's Walsh-Jennings & Ross VS the Australian pair. It was a good game, and the USA won it 2 sets to 0.

Women's Boxing - Watched a bout between Russia & Taiwan, with the Russian winning.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

themcnoisy

@RR529: Didn't you watch the 100m and 200m?

Michael Johnsons 200m record was broken last night. He's one of my favourite commentators / panelists on the bbc and he took it in good spirit. Bolt beat Gatlin again too which was good.

ApostateMage

Great day yesterday for us Brits, 5 gold medals on the same day which is the best we've done at an away Olympics. Now sitting proudly in second place in the medals table.

ApostateMage

usb

Who broke the 200m WR I thought Bolt was the record holder for that event?

Bolt beating Gatlin was good. If Gatlin had won it would have been a victory for dopeing atheletes.

Congrats to Andy Murray but feel bad for Del Potro he has been so unlucky with injuries over the years he should have been one of best players had he remained injury free.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

themcnoisy

@dryrain: Sorry I meant the 400m

Cavendish smashing it up in the points race. Took that Korean guy out with gusto.

themcnoisy

@TripleGK: Who the Italian guy?

Cavendish was the best sprinter, unfortunately he sat up on the chance he had to make a lap up fairly early in the points race shortly after the crash he caused. But the conserved effort maybe saved his silver so difficult to call. Laura Trott smashed the elimination race, its like watching a computer game that bike race.

RR529

themcnoisy wrote:

@RR529: Didn't you watch the 100m and 200m?

Michael Johnsons 200m record was broken last night. He's one of my favourite commentators / panelists on the bbc and he took it in good spirit. Bolt beat Gatlin again too which was good.

Unfortunately I didn't have control of the TV at the time, and my tablet was charging.

It doesn't seem like many people around here (IRL) are that excited about the games this year, largely because of the poor conditions. Especially my bro, who brings up some new controversy almost daily, and refers to it as the "Poo-lympics".

EDIT: Day 10

Other - Didn't actively watch anything today, though I did catch some of the Pole Vaulting, which looked pretty cool.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

get2sammyb

Absolutely glorious.

Untitled

I was so disillusioned with Britain a few months ago, and I still am for many, many reasons. But boy oh boy have Team GB restored a bit of pride... Even if we do eventually slip to China (and I think we will), it's just been an incredible effort by every competitor.

Tasuki

@RR529: Don't mean to derail the thread, but can't you use the tablet while it's charging?

@get2sammyb Very Nice indeed. I haven't actually been keeping a close eye on the medal count this Olympics. Really just been enjoying the sports themselves.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RR529

Day 11

Women's Beach Volleyball - Watched USA's Walsh-Jennings & Ross play a Brazilian pair. Surprisingly, the game came to a disappointing end when the Brazilians upset the defending 3 time Gold winning USA pair 2 sets to 0, though we didn't make it easy on them (at least we still have a shot at the Bronze...). Also watched the German pair play the other Brazilian pair, and they won 2 sets to 0. Guess I'll be rooting for the Germans in the final.

Track & Field - Actually watched quite a bit today. I especially liked the 110m Hurdles.

@Tasuki, I could, but I usually take the time to get in some 3DS (when my tablet is charging).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

themcnoisy

So France have basically come out and said the GB cycling team are all drug cheats. What's everyone's take on that?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.