Forums

Topic: 2016 Olympic Games Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 121

RR529

Day 12

Women's Beach Volleyball - A family member accidentally spoiled the result of the match between USA's Walsh-Jennings & Ross and the other Brazilian pair (for Bronze) for me, so I wasn't going to watch it, but NBC is currently replaying it during late night, so I'm watching it currently as something to do.

Other - Caught some of the qualifiers for BMX, which I thought was pretty cool, though the track looked a bit off. I think it was dirt the past couple of Olympics, but is now synthetic, maybe?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

rippo1971

Speaking from Down Under, I have to grudgingly say you Brits are on fire. Our poor athletes will get hammered by the media for their so called "disappointing results". We should all just be privileged to watch these elite sportspeople do their thing.

rippo1971

Anchorsam_9

Team GB's success makes England's football team look awful. Which they are, but you know what I'm trying to say.

It's not often that I'm proud of Britain, but the Olympics always makes me feel good about living here

Anchorsam_9

Twitter:

get2sammyb

Anchorsam_9 wrote:

Team GB's success makes England's football team look awful. Which they are, but you know what I'm trying to say.

Yeah, it's embarrassing for the football team. Even those who've missed out on medals have proven that they're passionate and willing to work really, really hard to be successful. Like you say, makes the football team look like a joke.

BAMozzy

@get2sammyb: Maybe the difference is that the Olympic Squad train specifically for the Olympics. Their funding is based purely on their success. Professional footballers train specifically for their club, its where their money comes from too. They train to play a style and formation that suits their club, they give everything to their club. Win, lose or draw at international level makes no difference other than pride etc. Losing comes down to the manager more often than not - Not the individuals. The team, the formation etc that England put out against Iceland, the lack of tactical awareness and ability to change things by the management (Hodgson) cost England rather than any specific individual. Most England footballers show a lot of passion and work extremely hard for their club - their employers!

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

ApostateMage

That taekwondo geezer, Lutalo Muhammad was so unlucky last night. Winning with 1 second to go but then took a head kick to lose it. Agonizing.

ApostateMage

Kidfried

ApostateMage wrote:

That taekwondo geezer, Lutalo Muhammad was so unlucky last night. Winning with 1 second to go but then took a head kick to lose it. Agonizing.

Also makes taekwando such a great sport to watch. I'm not into fighting sports much, but I like taekwando quite a bit.

Kidfried

usb

The womens GB Hockey team did fantastic last night and the goal keeping was some of the best I have seen. The investment in British sport has really paid off. Its not just the amount of medals we have won its the fact that they have been across so many different sports

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

themcnoisy

@dryrain: Hinch is great to watch, as a kid she bounced around so much her teacher told her to play hockey. She hated playing goal keeper originally but has taken it to another level with her training and self development. Without her we could of easily been at 7-2 or worse. Unfortunately hockey is bogged down by unnecessary rules to be a great spectator sport in my opinion.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

sub12

merica', that's all I got to say.....

Although it's good to see the UK do so well, especially after the whole EU exit controversy.

sub12

RR529

I've seen a few things over the past few days.

Watched the Men's Beach Volleyball final between Brazil & Italy (with the Brazilians winning), both Men's & Women's BMX Race finals (this was actually pretty exciting, and I quite liked it), and some of the Women's Mountain Bike Race final.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

So my final thoughts on this year's Olympics.

I didn't get to watch as much as I'd like to mainly cause of work but I will try and watch some more on stream before they take it down. What I did see I enjoyed alot. I got to finally see an actual Rugby match and it now ranks up there as one of the events I will be looking forward too each Olympics.

While Rio may not have had the budget as some of the other host countries their Opening ad Closing Ceramonies were great. I also liked Japan's portion of the 2016 Closing Ceremony and I got a kicked out of the use of Nintendo's IP.

Looking forward to the Winter Games now in 2018.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RR529

Yeah, the transition to Tokyo 2020 was great.

I'm fully expecting their opening ceremony to top Beijing's. I'm fully expecting a segment where a life size Gundam is in the arena, or an acrobatic scene where they have someone flying around the arena on wires dressed like Goku.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Anchorsam_9

Really enjoyed the Olympics, despite the fact that I thought Rio was a poor place for it. While I would've liked to watch more, it was a Games to remember for me and I reckon that Tokyo 2020 will be even better

Anchorsam_9

Twitter:

get2sammyb

The times really worked well for me to be honest. Most of the action was happening between 8PM and 2AM, which suited me really nicely — even if I've been staying up way too late. I imagine Tokyo's will be lots of very early mornings.

Anyway, great performance by Team GB and a really enjoyable Olympics. Just what we needed after all the crap that's been in the news for months and months. Was nice to focus on something positive.

usb

I thought Rio did an ok job was it right for them to host it probably not. The biggest dissapointment for me is yet to come. The para Olympics which has been building momentum since Beijing has now been dealt a big blow. Some athelete frm nations will not even be able to attend which is shameful. Events being cancelled. Could go on but its a shame that these athletes are being held in so little regard compared to the main Olympics. Imagine the out cry if events had been cancelled in the main Olympics?

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

Kidfried

@RR529 Yes, I'm really looking forward to Tokio. The opening ceremony will be very spectacular and Tokio is a really cool setting for these different sports. I actually can't wait.

@dryrain It's a really sad story. To me it's the confirmation that Rio should never have been made host.

@get2sammyb Fully agree on the great news. A lot of people over here complained about the Olympics dominating the news. While that is a fair point, I fully agree with you the optimism the Olympics yield were much needed, even if they were only a distraction from daily struggles.

Kidfried

WanderingBullet

Thought the Tokyo 2020 commercial during the closing the ceremony was really good and then there's that Mario and Doraemon scene which pretty cool as well.lol Definitely looking forward to next Olympic, knowing Japan's the host it'd definitely be very innovative.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.