Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 241 to 260 of 2,757

Kidfried

Had 3 cycle breaking bugs in as many runs since the new update. Thanks Housemarque... 🙄

Kidfried

MightyDemon82

Yay finally beat Ixion. Off to bed now though. That was an almost 2 hour run I'll check out the 3rd biome tomorrow.

The game really does shine whilst wearing headphones. Although I almost blew my eardrums out when I got a little excited, I accidentally turned the volume up on them when celebrating haha.

MightyDemon82

Voltan

Had another good run. Got what I believe is the final traversal upgrade, also progressed the story a bit. So far it's going the way I suspected for a while now but I won't be too surprised if there's another twist later
Unfortunately I made the mistake of switching weapons to a new kind with no unlocked traits only to find a pack of elite enemies in the next room. RIP. To be continued

Voltan

Voltan

Btw, I know opinions vary about Returnal's "rougelikeness" and I haven't actually played any other games in the genre enough to know how well it really does it but I do know this - at this point (and it's been like that for a good while) I'm not even disappointed after dying like that - I'm excited about progressing further soon instead. I can now skip a particularly hard room that seems to be "static" in biome 6.

Protip: Unlocking weapon traits is the real between-runs-progress. My Hollowseeker is now powerful AF.

Also PSA: There will be another update tomorrow 7 pm GMT / noon PST so don't suspend your run at that time or disable auto updates if you need to

Voltan

Porkman85

hypnotoad wrote:

I've got a very good Atmos set up but this game shines aurally with a set of 3D headphones.

Worth pointing out that there's no such thing as '3D headphones' of course - it's marketing guff. Any decent wired set will work just as well as those that are sold under such monikers.

Porkman85

render

Not done too well tonight. My first pretty good run was ended by a crash then I’ve struggled to even get out of the overgrown ruins. Think I should just leave it tonight and try again tomorrow. I did unlock a few traits though so not totally lost.

render

Th3solution

@Kidfried Oof, that sucks. I wonder what triggered so many bugs.

By the way, I’m nervous to start Returnal now since I recall you mentioning that Control was really easy for you, and I’ve had a couple bosses and enemy rooms that were pretty hard. I died like 7 times on one of the bosses ( Salvador ) and I thought I was going to pull my hair out. But the issue is that each death you lose 10% of your currency, so it stings a little.
I had another boss shortly after that which also had me dying a lot ( the giant one-eyed worm type creature ) But otherwise I’ve been breezing through up until these late game encounters.
Do you figure I’ll struggle with the Returnal combat?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

Th3solution wrote:

@Kidfried Oof, that sucks. I wonder what triggered so many bugs.

By the way, I’m nervous to start Returnal now since I recall you mentioning that Control was really easy for you, and I’ve had a couple bosses and enemy rooms that were pretty hard. I died like 7 times on one of the bosses ( Salvador ) and I thought I was going to pull my hair out. But the issue is that each death you lose 10% of your currency, so it stings a little.
I had another boss shortly after that which also had me dying a lot ( the giant one-eyed worm type creature ) But otherwise I’ve been breezing through up until these late game encounters.
Do you figure I’ll struggle with the Returnal combat?

Well, there's another update coming today. So probably something that's going to fix it.

And to respond to your nervousness, I would say: don't worry about it too much.

First things first, I think there's a difference between dying a lot and a game being very difficult. I have died quite a few times in Control (and was just as frustrated at the loss of currency), but I still don't think the game was difficult at any point. Not like Bloodborne at any point. As soon as I did it in the right way, I could beat most encounters.

Returnal is at least somewhat more difficult than Control, but that's kind of the point. Without the very real fear of losing your progress, this game wouldn't be as exciting. Yes, it's more difficult, but not in a way that I would call unfair and not in a way that it's going to hinder your fun, if you're an average gamer at least.

So, yea, you'll probably struggle, but that's kind of where the fun comes from. The good thing is that so far no challenge to me has seem insurmountable. Even when I failed, I felt very much that with a bit more luck of concentration I could have made it. And that's why I don't feel any despair at all playing.

Had a great run yesterday, and everything went perfectly. I had a great healing item, so I decided to go into the boss room before having explored every room in that biome. I felt ready. Well, I almost was. The boss had less than 10% of their health left in its final phase, so I was really close. Then I was thinking: yea, I probably should have explored some more, I could have found a stat boost, and I might have made it easily. The strength of this game, and I've read this somewhere in a review too, is that it feels like winning might be around the next corner. Maybe you'll find an item that'll make it a piece of cake, maybe your alt fire recharges a bit faster next time, and you're able to land some extra shots that way.

This game beats you down a lot of the times,, but it'll always whisper "you can do it" afterwards. And I think the game is right: I am able to do it, and so are you.

Kidfried

render

@Kidfried You've said it there really.

@Th3solution Every time this game kicks you down you still get up and go back for more. It gives you that glimmer of hope that anything is achievable given the right run. It's just a matter of getting lucky with the items / weapons next time round and also what order the rooms appear in or what's in those rooms. Usually in a game your progress is saved so you can go right back at whatever killed you but with Returnal it makes you work for that, and it really feels like a major achievement when you do make it past whatever you were having trouble with.

Last night I had two runs where I went down into one of those bonus rooms with the yellow markers and there was a flippin lion thing with tentacles that appeared shooting red balls of fire at me and whittled my health right down. Both times it was unexpected, as up until then those rooms had always been empty apart from some bonus items, but that's the luck of the draw and I think it makes for a really interesting approach to gameplay.

I'm interested how people are going about getting onto the later biomes. Are you tending to spend time on the earlier ones collecting items etc or are you going straight on to whatever boss you are trying to beat? I'm thinking I might try and push on tonight without collecting so many things first just to see if I can spend more time making progress.

render

Voltan

@render I can only speak about act 2 in that regard but once I opened the gate to biome 5, I was going there as soon as I could (you still have to make your way about halfway through 4 to get to the gate) and now I'm doing the same with 6 (the gate is basically at the same spot as the one to 5, on the opposite side of the room). You could probably get better upgrades if you spent more time in 4 but it seems doable without it. There's always a large profficiency upgrade item lying there when you pass through the gate.

Voltan

render

@Voltan Good to know that it's possible to do that. I think I will have to give that a go as I've found myself wanting to play but don't want to sink 5 - 6 hours into a run, what with having to drop the kids off to school and turn up at my desk for work at a reasonable hour 🤣.

Loving that concept art. Just goes to show how much work goes into a game like this to take something from a concept through to a finished article. I'm a software developer but I can't get my head around how you go about developing something like this. I've experienced a few bugs with this and I can understand people getting annoyed when they've sunk a few hours in only to get their run destroyed by a crash but they are really few and far between and it's a hugely complex thing to put together.

render

Throb

Okay, i actually got to what i think is the boss of biome 1. I thought I had killed him but then realised i had to do it another 2 times! I'm getting seriously annoyed with this game now. Here are my stats, is this game for me? I hope so but it's getting so close to trading it in...
Untitled

I followed the guide for the image, what is wrong?

Edited on by Throb

Can't think of anything good to put here just yet, watch this space...

PSN: Headthrob

nessisonett

@Throb Replace your circular brackets with square brackets like [ ]

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Throb

@nessisonett mmm, that gave me something different but not right

Voltan

Patch Notes (should be live in a few minutes):

Fixed an issue where certain Trophies might not unlock under specific gameplay conditions. Note: missing Trophies will need to be replayed to unlock.

Multiple stability fixes addressing rare crashes/hangs.

Fixed issue with pre-order suits occasionally blocking item collection and door opening.

Fixed incorrect healing behaviour when resting in Helios.

Configuration changes to increase the number of scout corpses available in all biomes.

Fixed issues with certain custom controller mappings.

Numerous minor fixes and improvements.

Voltan

Throb

Is the posting pictures guide out of date? I've tried many ways and it doesn't work. Some of the image hosting makes Pushsquare say blocked. Is it just website images you can link, can you not host your own? Trying to do this is as frustrating as Returnal!!!
Untitled
remove duplicates from text file

Edited on by Throb

Voltan

@Throb Try uploading your image to https://imgbb.com and then select “BBCode full linked” and just copy and paste that.

Also, the patch is only 1GB

Voltan

nessisonett

@Throb I think that’s a problem with Imgur itself so just follow @Voltan’s advice!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic