Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 4,421 to 4,440 of 4,712

BAMozzy

@Th3solution I hate the Stand that came with it for Horizontal usage. I don't know how good it is when used in its Vertical mode. I ended up buying some 'clip' on stands that support the console on both sides from Amazon which also raises it a 'bit' more for better Air flow and stability.

Untitled

which along with the 'Black' faceplates, I think it looks much better than it used too. You can just see the clip on stands on either side...

Untitled

but each to their own...

Edited on by BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Th3solution

@BAMozzy Do those supplemental stands probably help with the noise too from the cover and plastic rattle when the disc spins?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

BAMozzy

@Th3solution I don't hear anything. They clip on well so don't rattle and have rubber pads under each corner too to prevent rattle/slip on the surface too.

Untitled

This is basically what they are like, the underside supports the whole side with 'clips' holding them tight to the faceplates so no room to 'vibrate' and the Rubber pads suppress any vibration into the unit too. I don't know it it really matters, but it does have give more 'clearance' under and around the unit too...

I got mine from Amazon a few years ago now, but its basically this one https://www.nexigo.com/products/nexigo-1522-horizontal-stand-...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

KilloWertz

@BAMozzy Just going by the stand alone it is clear the PS5 was really designed to be used vertically, but is so tall that they had to allow people to have it horizontal. The only issue is they did nothing with the stand to really compensate.

The stand is perfectly fine vertically. There's a slight amount of room on each side of the stand where the PS5 sits, so the system can "wiggle" ever so slightly if you unplug something in the back one handed or something like that. Still, the stand works pretty good vertically and you shouldn't have any worries of it ever being unstable unless somebody knocks it over, which obviously wouldn't matter how good the stand was then.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Th3solution

@BAMozzy Thanks, Bam. Seems like a good investment. I should check them out.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

BAMozzy

@KilloWertz It really does seem designed primarily for being used vertically with horizontal almost an afterthought. The base in vertical at least is a 'flat' surface and can stand up pretty much stable without the stand - of course you probably want to use the stand to improve air circulation/cooling.

As you can see from my set-up, it's really not conducive to being used Vertically. It fits perfectly, and now its 'black', it also matches everything else in my Unit. I 'could' use it vertically on top of my unit, but I prefer to keep them in the shelf space.

Untitled

The reason I don't really know how 'good' the stand is vertically is purely because I have never tried it or intend to use my PS5 vertically anyway. The fact it actually attaches and screwed in - instead of 'clipped' on and balancing as it does in Horizontal mode.

That's why I invested in those Horizontal stands which keep the console a LOT more stable as its supported at all four corners. Its not 'balancing' on a small disc stand somewhere in the middle.

@Th3solution As I said, I find these to be very stable and much better if you prefer to keep your console horizontally as its supported at all four corners. To be honest, I haven't thought about these at all - which only shows that they are doing exactly what you'd want them to do. If they were 'noisy' or more hassle than the original stand, then you'd give them some attention.

I will say though that I did buy some '3rd Party' Face Plates that 'looked' identical to the Official ones - supposedly even the same size exactly, but these didn't 'clip' on well so I had to wait until Sony released their own official Black plates as they fit 'perfectly' to those - I checked with the Original White ones first. So be aware if you use third party faceplates, they may not 'fit' as well (if at all)...

Th3solution

@BAMozzy Good to know, although I’m still running with the OG white faceplates. It makes the console stick out like a sore thumb, but I’ve grown tolerant of it. It’s my only console there (have my PS4 on a second TV) so the white and black behemoth is not too bad as a solo piece on the cabinet.

KilloWertz

@BAMozzy I've never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't be able to be stood vertically just fine without the stand since it's flat when stood up vertically anyways. Like you said, it's still better to use the stand regardless though.

If I had the PS5 horizontal, I probably would have invested in something like you did as well. I had it horizontal for a few days, and I didn't really like the stand at all that way. After getting the Series X, I would have had to put the PS5 vertical anyways.

Wait, why did you bother investing extra in the PS5 when you're an Xbox fanb....? It's a joke, I swear.

BAMozzy

@Th3solution Each to their own - I'd never criticise someone's choice...

@KilloWertz Owning EVERY Playstation and defending Sony against Xbots would say otherwise...

KilloWertz

@BAMozzy It's all good. Just a fun reference to our occasional conversations that were a bit less civil.

BAMozzy

@KilloWertz I know - but I am definitely not a 'fanboy' of either system, the platforms are nothing but 'tools' to play games on - if I really wanted the 'BEST', I'd own the top end PC as it offers the highest possible Picture Quality at the highest frame rates and a console is just a simpler, lower cost option with much smaller game Libraries and other more restrictive practices as its a 'locked' platform.

It just bugs me when people put these consoles on a pedestal and/or use their 'bias' to attack the other. You can't have a 'discussion' with a Fanboy because they just don't understand the reality of a situation and that's when it becomes 'less civil' in general. However, I still 'try' to bring some 'balance' to a discussion when it 'seems' to be loaded with Bias and fueling hatred towards the other platform.

A PS5 is a great console for the Money, but so is a Series X and much more 'competitive' this gen, than Last gen. However, the XB1 launched under a completely different 'Microsoft', with a different management and different business model. Under Phil, things have changed - merged Xbox into MS, changed from a Sales based (like Sony) to a more Service Based business model. Not saying one model is 'better', just different so you can't 'compare' certain aspects - like Game Pass and PS+ as for Sony, a 'sales' based company, it would 'hurt' their business model to put their games in the service day/date as they 'lose' sales and won't have the 'best selling' software of the week/month/year. For MS, it makes sense because they are more 'service' based and want to get more people into their Service.

In my opinion, gamers of the world should 'unite' and not be attacking each other over their Platform choices, their preference for certain games etc and demand 'better' from ALL publishers, platform holders to 'compete' for OUR money and valuable time. United as GAMERS!

Kidfried

I put my PlayStation behind my tv. Don't wanna see it.

In general I find modern consoles just nog very appealing to look at. My Switch is next to the tv though, it's the exception to the rule that consoles got uglier as time went on.

(Mini SNES and PS1 are also next to the tv. Such beauties!)

Kidfried

Th3solution

As a side note regarding disc drive noise, I have also now noticed that certain games make the disc drive louder than others. The last couple PS5 games I’ve played by disc are GT7 and Hogwarts and both made the disc drive fairly loud when they boot up. I just loaded Jedi Survivor and it was significantly quieter. Also Dark Souls Remastered, a PS4 disc, was quieter as I recall. I can only assume some games require the disc to spin faster…? I was surprised that Jedi was quieter because it is now the largest game (data-wise) I’ve ever had on a console at 150 GB. Larger than GT7’s 122 GB (which is gradually growing with the updates however).

Bundersvessel

@Kidfried I keep my SX behind purely due the shear size of the thing, which I haven’t had to do in the past. I’ve grown to prefer it and it beats investing in new furniture. The PS3 still sits proudly underneath.

@Th3solution is the drive noise primarily when spinning up on PS5? I had some concerns with orange box on SX, but it ended up being a 5 to 10 second increase in noise then whisper quiet, although 360 discs only act as a key to access a digital download.

Th3solution

@AgentCooper Yes, it’s just on the initial start up as the disc spins for a few seconds. Not sure why some discs are louder than others, but like I say, it’s a little better now after readjusting how it’s seated on the stand.

BAMozzy

@Th3solution In theory, the disc drive shouldn't spin up for long if at all as Games aren't actually running from Disc, but from 'Solid State' Drives that you installed all the data on to. The ONLY thing it needs the Disc for is to check that you have a valid licence to play - hence the 'requirement' to install games and why they don't 'need' to supply the actual 'software' on Disc (regardless of whether you have to download some/all content at installation)

It's like downloading Software on a PC, you can't access 'Premium' content/features unless you have a valid 'licence' key. When you buy a Disc, it has a 'general' licence so that whoever owns that disc has the 'right' to access any Software, but not access the actual 'Code' as that remains the Property of the Dev/Publisher - you NEVER own the actual Game, just a 'licence' to play it...

Therefore it really shouldn't need to be constantly working whilst you are playing. Any data required by the game should be on the SSD and once have 'loaded' up the game and its 'verified' you have a valid Licence, the Disc should be redundant for the rest of the session.

Of course, during installation, it will need to spin as its taking the Data from disc and installing it onto SSD so I expect it to spin then. I haven't noticed my Disc Drive spinning during play - but I also haven't played those games from Disc on a PS5 either...

Bundersvessel

I really like that the PS app now tells me when something is ready to play, just a small thing but incredibly useful. A couple of other things I’ve noticed and really like is the activity cards and hint system though I’m yet to ‘reveal’ one. I’ve noticed this feature is present in the trophy section on the app too. Lastly the universal game settings menu is a great idea, who knew? I’m guessing devs have to implement it themselves so that the console can set difficulty and whatnot automatically? I’m excited to discover more little features in the coming months 👍

Edited on by Bundersvessel

render

@AgentCooper While they don't seem to get a great deal of love I actually like the activity cards, and they can work really well when implemented correctly. Stuff like Sackboy went all in on those and it was great to use them to jump into various points of the game. It's always a great way to get straight into your game rather than sit through title and save selection screens. The game help I have used as well and find it again can be really good if it's done in the right way. Stuff like Demon's Souls did a good job there as if you are stuck on a boss they've split the battles up into smaller videos so you can just watch a single piece of the fight to give you a clue.

I'm also one of those people that like the new interface in general. I like the full screen image of the game you've got selected and having a limited number of games on screen that you've played recently, I think it's straight to the point as I don't spend a lot of time in the menus, I just want to play a game. I guess I was never really that bothered about themes on PS4 and don't miss them for that reason.

render

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic