Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 3,501 to 3,520 of 4,717

Kidfried

@KilloWertz If you're already tired of the game before you first boot it up, then don't even try. You need quite some discipline to get through this game!

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

That is indeed wild.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@EclipseZero Yeah I was thinking about that when I first saw the tweet. Think it was EA, who sorta seem like saints now compared to some of their rivals.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, I mentioned somewhere on here that I’d genuinely rather play an EA Star Wars game than a Quantic Dream one. Their problems with MTX seem a bit laughable when compared to Ubisoft and ActiBlizz’s horrific sexual harassment and abuse and the truly sickening things David Cage comes out with. Give it time, I’m sure EA will get on the NFT bandwagon and alienate us all over again!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

KilloWertz

@Kidfried That's a ringing endorsement if I ever saw one.

I may still give Days Gone another shot at some point this year. I'm not opposed to long games (I played Assassin's Creed Valhalla twice at 150 hours a piece and Assasin's Creed Odyssey once at about the same length), although a game like this isn't usually around 50 hours. Still, since I'm far removed from The Last of Us (haven't played either since Part II's release), maybe it will work better for me.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

colonelkilgore

@KilloWertz as someone who really enjoyed Days Gone, my advice would be to use melee and stealth until you’ve used enough xp to level up your gun skills.

I heard a lot of people moaning about how bad the gun-play was… also a lot of people moaned about how rubbish the motor cycle was but both improve a lot as you level them up.

Apart from that, the endgame involving taking down all the hordes (you’ll only take down around 3 or 4 during the main story) was the absolute high point for me.

**** DLC!

Octane

@KilloWertz Because it's open world, it plays very different from TLOU once you get going. Also, the story is quite different, but of course there are a few overlapping themes because both are post-apocalyptic zombie games.

Octane

JJ2

@Octane
Hi
The fact is I loved Days Gone. One of my fav games ever. Truly loved it.
What the fuss is about now is all controversy and drama and they know it. Like just Jeff said again he stands by his numbers. Why insisting about numbers? What the heck does it matter how many millions? We know Days Gone sold a lot and was a success from gamers perspective (even if not from critical perspective). That should be enough and no need to compare with other games. All what he’s doing is passing as a victim and claiming his game sold MORE than another.
Nobody really cares if it ‘possibly’ sold more than GoT. Nobody!!! All they care is about the controversy that may trigger.
Time to move on and focus on PS5.
Not to mention that Garvin himself said the sales that really matter are the launch sales. Not the discounted and whatnot sales.

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

colonelkilgore

lolwhatno wrote:

Also really loved blowing a powerful zombie…

… so I’m not gonna touch that one 🤣… but glad that you had fun playing Days Gone. No game is perfect but I had a great deal of fun in its world.

**** DLC!

Octane

@JJ2 Have you watched the whole thing? Just curious, because the news reports I see a way more polarising than the interview itself.

He even mentioned that he regrets it now that the story is about GOT vs Days Gone, because that wasn't his intention. The point they're trying to make is that a sequel was immediately shot down, even before it was reviewed by the higher ups at Sony, just because it got low Metacritic scores, but the sales numbers are actually very good for a game that only got an average 7 or so from the critics. The user score is also much higher, so a Days Gone sequel would've been a guaranteed success, as much as a Horizon or Ghost sequel is. That last sentence is my own interpretation by the way. And like I said, I do find it a little strange that Sony never revealed Days Gone sales numbers, despite them doing so for every other game when it reaches a milestone. And this is not just Garvin and Ross, but I think that any other Bend Studio dev would be a little disappointed by how their game was handled. You've spent six/seven years developing a game, and it isn't treated/celebrated as other PlayStation games. And that isn't good for workflow and morale at the company either.

Anyway, I agree that the timing is wrong, because it seems like he's throwing shade at GOT, but I do understand where they are coming from.

Here's the kicker, I liked Days Gone a lot, but do I want a sequel? Nah, I'm actually glad Bend Studio gets to work on something new.

Octane

KilloWertz

@colonelkilgore It will likely be a while, but I will try to remember all of that, thanks.

@Octane The overlapping themes weren't really the issue for me. It was just how much it felt like The Last of Us early on, especially the already mentioned items and item creation/upgrades both being extremely similar to that series (especially the icons). I'm now aware it separates itself eventually, but I didn't really know that before trying it out last year.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Th3solution

Octane wrote:

You've spent six/seven years developing a game, and it isn't treated/celebrated as other PlayStation games…

Concrete Genie, Gravity Rush 2, and Dreams say Hello.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

@Th3solution To be fair, none of those games were as successful as Days Gone (8+ million copies, or however much they sold at this point).

But I agree, especially for a 'live-service' game such as Dreams, PlayStation doesn't really talk about it.

Octane

JohnnyShoulder

@Voltan Ha ha I see Techland have put the reverse lights on and are now saying it will only take 20 hours to complete the main story plus another 60 for everything.

Admittedly when I first saw the headline it did kinda put me off the game, but when I thought about i never 100% open world games or pay much attention to completion times. Not sure where this obsession with how long it takes to beat games comes from.

JJ2

@Octane
Well they are talking about a lot of different things and not just ‘making a point’ in that video. I noticed how Jeff tried to quickly brush aside they had the opportunity to go for Syphon Filter but put emphasis on the Resistance game but later admited in a tweet it was just Jensen idea he just took and ‘championed’

Regarding the sales which is the main controversy here’s a reminder of what they were saying at the previous drama stir a few months ago.

Garvin
‘ If you love a game, buy it at f****** full price. I can't tell you how many times I've seen gamers say 'yeah, I got that on sale, I got it through PS Plus, whatever'."

I'm just saying, you don't, but don't complain if a game doesn't get a sequel if it wasn't supported at launch."

So now Jeff pretends it’s all about total sales and is somehow unjust?
Definitely a lack of consistency there.

Edit
No it wasn’t shot down because of metacritics. You got it wrong there.

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Th3solution

@Octane Yeah, a lot of these poor games were just sent out to die. I think they did try to celebrate Dreams a little bit and certainly Push Square did their best to promote it, but like you said, the live service aspect should have warranted some kind of ongoing endorsement. Perhaps they realized they needed to cut their losses at this point. It’s got to be hemorrhaging money by now.

As for Concrete Genie and Gravity Rush 2, I think both games had potential but just got ignored by Sony. In the pursuit of press coverage, there will always be the ‘haves’ and the ‘have-nots’ amongst the first party and second party output, but I think Days Gone could have done so much better if not released within about a year of TLoU2.

Some of the lack of marketing support for some of their games is just mind-boggling. Certain games will sell themselves, but a lot of these games deserve at least a mention in the official PlayStation blog or a couple weeks on the front page of the PlayStation store. If not for being a PlayStation enthusiast, how would I have ever known to buy The Pathless or 13 Sentinels? Seems like since 13 Sentinels got ported over to Nintendo a few months ago it actually got more interest, even though it had been exclusive to PS4 for over two years prior. You’d never have known if you weren’t following closely through a PlayStation-centric fan site like this.

Shoot, I was thrilled to see that Horizon Forbidden West commercial during the NCAA Championship game last night, rather than a Call of Duty or Madden advertisement.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution "In the pursuit of press coverage, there will always be the ‘haves’ and the ‘have-nots’ amongst the first party and second party output, but I think Days Gone could have done so much better if not released within about a year of TLoU2."

Honestly think this is one of the reasons they're not working on a Days Gone 2. There's a The Last of Us TV series coming out, with a multiplayer game and a remake in the next years. By the time Days Gone 3 would release, I bet you another The Last of Us project will have been announced. No doubt in my mind that you'd hear the same "oh, it's another Sony zombies game" argument again.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

My fingers are crossed for Returnal. 🤞

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic