Posts 3,101 to 3,120 of 4,717

TraCuz-

@JohnnyShoulder Man this is so much better

Currently Playing:

Rainbow 6: Siege, Kingdom Hearts 2 (1st time), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

PSN: TraCuz-

RogerRoger

Th3solution wrote:

Have you (or anyone else) taken apart your PS5 to do a deep cleaning yet?

Dude, I've never cleaned any of my consoles (not internal cleaning, at any rate; I clean my handhelds after every single session). I once blew some compressed air through my PS2 Slim after it stopped reading discs, and it helped, but I didn't unscrew anything to do it.

Now that you've mentioned this, though, am thinking I might clean my PS3 Super Slim and my PS4 Pro this week, because they're obviously long overdue.

I mean, I cleaned my PC's guts last month, so I don't know why I'm hesitating.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Abarth_71 Did you find it an easier task than cleaning the PS4?

@RogerRoger I will say that I’ve done the deep clean a grand total of one time in my PS4. It was actually pleasantly surprising how little dust had accumulated over the 4-5 year period. I’ll be curious to hear how your consoles look on the inside after all the years of use. I imagine there is a wide range in how much dirt collects, based on the home, air flow, entertainment center set up, regional climate variations, etc.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

I thought this was pretty useful. He installs one with a built in heat sink and then and then one with a seperate heat sink. Looks like it will be significantly cheaper to get one without a heat sink, and does look too complicated to combine it with the storage drive.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

render

@JohnnyShoulder Looks about as easy as I imagined it would. I'd probably get the one without heatsink to save a few pounds. I have run out of space but I'm unsure about buying now or waiting 6 months to see how the prices fall.

render

Voltan

@render you should probably at least wait until the expansion is out of beta (unless you're in the program)

Voltan

render

@Voltan Yeah I'd probably wait until at least then as I'm not in the program, but I can't imagine prices dipping that much between now and when the final version releases. Unless that is you know something I don't

render

Voltan

@render Nah, probably not - but you will have more information about available SSD models and such. I'm not sure how fast PS OS versions usually move from beta to public release but with one adding this many features, I imagine it could take a couple months maybe. Not much point buying a drive to just have it sit in a box.

Voltan

render

@Voltan I guess the big question will be if demand drives the prices down or if parts are constrained then they might just stay where they are longer. There certainly looks like there's going to be plenty of competition, which is a good thing.

render

JohnnyShoulder

@render If I were in the need to get one, (which I'm not) I would defo wait if you can. Black Friday seems like a good time when you see a discount in em.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

render

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah I think I'm more on the side of waiting, especially as it's not exactly the most exciting PS related purchase you can make. I might just have to delete a few more games but that's not the end of the world.

render

redd214

Just got the 1Tb SSD installed, took all of 3 minutes. Works like a charm, games load basically the same as the internal maybe a second or 2 slower but nothing big. Moving games takes about 30 or so seconds give or take.

redd214

redd214

WD Black SN850, the one Mark Cerny chose. If its good enough for him, good enough for us!

redd214

Voltan

Nice! I hope you don’t run into any problems with the beta (because that means a quicker release if there aren’t any)

Voltan

render

@redd214 Cool, be interesting to hear how you get on. Sounds like it should be perfect for the job though.

render

Th3solution

Just thought I’d share this for those who might have experienced it —

I was noticing my PS5 to be a little bit slower. Games didn’t open quite as quickly as before and clicking through the settings had occasional lags, like when bringing up the game saves submenu. It was all very subtle and still much zippier than my PS4, so I didn’t think much of it, until today. I switched over to play a little more A Plague’s Tale (it had been a couple weeks since I played) and I noticed a definite lag in the loading process. Again, nothing worse than PS4 but definitely different than what I remembered from when my PS5 was new. Then when the game autosaved, the circling icon in the corner took an uncomfortably long time to save. I was worried I had encounter a glitch, but the save icon finally finished, so I decided to immediately exit the game and restart the PS5. When I brought up the game I got the same long loading and saving prompts again, so I shut the console off, entered safe mode, and I did a “clear software cache” and then also did a “rebuild database”. The database rebuild took all of 3-4 minutes and was really easy. It reset my crossbar and now it’s filled with the usual PS app nonsense, but it appears to have fixed the problem. I booted up A Plague Tale and it seems to now save and load quickly like before.

Anyways, my PS5 is only a couple months old but I’ve already had to do this, so fair warning. It takes all of 5 minutes, but still just be aware of the potential need to rebuild your database every so often. I have a feeling that my Returnal crashes have something to do with this, but can’t be sure. Anyways, all’s well now!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Weird, my console seems to be as fast as it was on the first day, I've certainly not noticed any difference. Have you been putting jam on the console again?

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Of course not. I know jam’s no good for the PS5. I’ve been feeding it slices of ham and cheese through that intake slot on the front. I’m assuming that’s what it’s for.

Voltan

@Th3solution Closer to launch I had this issue with AC Valhalla when loading / fast travel would take about 30 seconds instead of the usual 7 or so. It fixed itself though.

Voltan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic