Forums

Topic: Genuine question: What makes you still buying a console in 2022?

Posts 1 to 20 of 48

Shrek_Realista

Well, for me it's the simple fact that I've always preferred playing on consoles or any alternative to PC. I was a PC gamer for a while, but after going to college + working all day with a PC, the last thing that I want to do in my free time is to play on a PC. And I don't think is so healthy to spend so many hours on PCs, but that's me saying lol

I got a laptop that I use to work and study, and my PS5 stays for gaming in my free time. So the desire to invest in PC gaming doesn't even cross my mind at the moment. And I'll be even more honest: as long as there are alternatives to PC gaming, I'll probably continue to prefer those alternatives. There is almost nothing that appeals to me in the PC scene for gaming. I am quite satisfied with what the PS5 offers me and in the future, I want to get a Series X as well.

And for you, what is still making you play and buy consoles in 2022?

Edited on by Shrek_Realista

Shrek_Realista

stvevan

so much less hassle and cheaper than pc.

stvevan

rockodoodle

Love Nintendo. Xbox and PS5 have more than enough power for my purposes. With subscription services for both, very affordable too. U can get all three consoles and have $$$$ left over for games

rockodoodle

nessisonett

So that I can put Dairylea slices into the disc slot.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Voltan

There comes a time when you start valuing convenience above many other things
I've been playing on PC since the late 80s but switched to consoles entirely during the PS3 generation.
And yeah, I know PC gaming is as inconvenient these days as it used to be but you can't argue that consoles aren't just more convenient.

Also, I'm an IT professional and work with PCs all day so I don't need any more of that in my "me time".

Voltan

Anti-Matter

Because I like to play video games by inserting disc or cartridge into video game machines than playing PC games.
Also, I have a lot of different video games on both Nintendo and PlayStation machines.

Anti-Matter

nessisonett

@Anti-Matter I feel like you could get way, way more games that suit your niche tastes on PC. Steam has a bunch of those sorts of games from the last 20 years.

Anti-Matter

@nessisonett
I'm still a dinosaur.
I prefer old fashion way to play video games.

Anti-Matter

Lavalera

For me the biggest reason i made the switch from PC to console this generation were the ridiculous prices of pcs nowadays. Because of the chip shortages the prices started to get out of control when i needed hardware, so i opted to switch to console. For the same price of a new pc i can get both an xbox and playstation and a ton of games. And since i am playing console i prefer just laying on the couch with a controller in my hand, much more comfortable that way than sitting behind a desk

PSNid: Lavalera

nomither6

For the convince & nothing more . PC basically ***** on console in every way , but the convenience of console is so effective .

nomither6

colonelkilgore

More than anything else, it’s probably down to me being a creature of habit… but also I don’t really fancy having to wait 4 years to play things like Horizon Forbidden West, God of War: Ragnarok & Spiderman 2 et al.

I also think that a lot of people get caught up on what PC’s can do at max settings with premier rigs. From my experience the vast majority of the master race are using rigs that would struggle to outperform a PS5 or Xbox series x.

**** DLC!

CJD87

I am nowhere near 'technically-minded' enough, nor interested enough(!), to tinker and fine-tune the various needed settings to optimise a PC to its full potential.

I know that some people derive great pleasure from tinkering and playing with systems, but I am not one of them! Console convenience is fantastic for me, can't really see me ever straying from this

CJD87

render

It's totally a convenience thing for me. I got fed up with tinkering with PCs years ago and having to go through that constant upgrade cycle with replacing a video card to find out that you had to also replace the CPU or motherboard to get the most out of it. There's no fun in that for me and having a platform that stays constant for 5-7 years is great.

Just knowing that any games I buy for the PS5 will work without having to faff with anything means I can spend more time gaming.

render

colonelkilgore

Another thing that occurred to me was that what with the creation of i-phones/android and i-pads/tablets, I would be far less inclined to even own a PC anymore. I have a work laptop but I’m glad to close that down as soon as humanly possible each day and open as late as I can the following morning 😉… but gaming on console and interwebz on i-pad seems the perfect combination for me.

**** DLC!

MaulTsir

Convenience really, I was a PC player, even though I started out with the SNES and have had a ps1, 2, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox. PC gamed for a long period, the xbox 360 pulled me back but I still had my PC for WoW but once I gave up on WoW I've never gone back and I don't think I would either.

Consoles are cheaper and literally can just turn it on and (as long as there's no problems) know it's going to play the games I want it to. Couldn't be bothered now to worry if my PC had the specs to play the game I wanted.

Sitting in a comfy chair on a TV that I can easily switch from gaming to watch sports or TV shows/movies is just so convenient add in price and the fact that I don't not need the games to run at the greatest performance since sliced bread, console seems to be the winner all round.

MaulTsir

Bentleyma

Convenience. I like that you just put the game in and you’re (with the exception of updates) ready to go. Especially now with the PS5’s quick load times. When I select the resume activity card when starting Skyrim, I’m in the game in under 20 seconds.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

Th3solution

Like most have said, I continue to purchase consoles for my gaming largely out of habit, convenience, and a general lack of know-how with PC upkeep.

@Bentleyma I always forget about the activity cards on PS5. I should try using those some day. I just reload my save and continue from the menu, but I guess the resume function saves a little time?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ralphdibny

Honestly? I think it's just because I'm an addict.

Food and material possessions just seem to be my vices right now.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore I can get that. When uni started getting really intensive and it all being via Zoom and such, the last thing I wanted to do was spend any more time on my laptop playing games. Much more relaxing to curl up in front of the telly playing the PS4 or PS5.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic