Forums

Topic: Demon Souls Remastered. Is it, isn't it?

Posts 661 to 680 of 793

colonelkilgore

@Indoorhero fair enough mate, Flamelurker is very tough though… particularly for a newcomer to the genre. I remember really struggling with him back in 2011 on the PS3.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@Indoorhero well it just seems that the genre just isn’t for you, which is totally okay. For those that it is for, those things are part of the overall experience.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @TheBrandedSwordsman @CJD87 @R1spam @EclipseZero @Gremio108 @render @Mega-Gazz @velio84 @colonelkilgore @JohnnyShoulder @JJ2

Tagging everyone who I thought might have interest, forgive me if I left anyone out.

Just making the announcement:

I am now crowned “Slayer of Demons”!
Finished the game and thrilled to report that it has been a great experience.

Feel free to read my full review over on the review thread. Its quite long, so not for the faint of heart. But if you are curious about my final impressions, the pluses and minuses of the game, and a little bit about the history of the game, head on over.

https://www.pushsquare.com/forums/retro_and_other_gaming/user...

Here are some little snippets about my playthrough that didn’t really fit into the review that might be of interest:

I ended with a 50% trophy completion. I’m not going for the platinum. Not necessarily because I wouldn’t enjoy doing so, but it looks to have a large time commitment (getting all spells, miracles, rings, etc.) and my backlog looms. Not to say I won’t go back one day.

Still, I was fairly thorough in my playthrough. I did get the Norther Regalia. I think I saved all the NPC’s, including even defeating the Blue Dragon in time before Biorr was killed.

I saw both endings by utilizing the cloud “save scum” feature. I actually think I liked the bad ending more.

I ended at Soul level 82. Would have been 83 if not for Old (False) King Allant Soulsucking a level from me.
Ended with around 200 deaths, I think, and around 60 hours of playtime.
I think I way overleveled, which is fine. I enjoyed it and was glad to not struggle too much because of being OP. I had tons of grasses and spice left at the end, as well as weapons out the whazoo that I never used. Oodles of cool equipment that I picked up that o wasn’t strong enough to wield since I poured all my souls into magic, intelligence, and vitality.

Toughest bosses - Old King Allant, Flamelurker, Maneater
Easiest bosses - King Allant, Old Hero, Phalanx, Leechmonger

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@velio84 Thanks! Yeah, I actually finished the game several days ago, but I wanted to have my review done before I gave any final announcement. 😄

I must say, Elden Ring is looking really awesome right now. After seeing the beginning of the Souls games, I’d like to compare and contrast the newest. But I think I’ll be waiting for a little while.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

CJD87

@Th3solution Umbassa!!!

Congrats mate, and honestly you're not really missing anything by swerving the platinum... it is more 'admin' than actual rewarding/interesting gameplay. Best to lick any wounds, and move on to ER this Friday!

What was your final build out of interest? I played DEX Samurai, using Sharp Utichanga with Sticky LongBow... nice mix of quick&dirty melee with a solid ranged option. Will likely mirror this for ER!

Seriously well done, there were many times I nearly gave up... and some of the back-tracking to bosses can be remarkably tedious. Funnily enough I was OK with Flamelurker... but it was the armoured spider that handed me my ass most times out of all the bosses (!)

CJD87

Th3solution

@CJD87 Thanks! I ended up with about 50 points in magic, 40 in intelligence. Had a very low strength and dexterity.
At the end I had the insanity catalyst (by virtue of using the Old Monk Soul) in the left hand and the Crescent Falchion in the right. So it was a similar set up of firing ranged magic attacks with the left, then slicing and dicing with the sword in the right hand if I got too close. Kept my armor paper thin to be quick and nimble. As a result I couldn’t take many hits but I rarely let them get too close. Stupid skeletons were an exception, as were the more aggressive bosses like Flamelurker. I did okay with Armored Spider due to its stationary approach, as I could hide behind a pillar and fire shots at it.

render

@Th3solution Well done 👏 - a most excellent outcome. I’m glad that you really enjoyed the game and it’s been great reading your comments as you’ve been going along.

It doesn’t feel like long ago I was doing the same and wrapping up my first play through. I’ve got just less than 50% of the trophies and started an NG+ that I’m planning on going back to. I don’t blame you for not going for the platinum though as it is quite involving. It seems we both ended up with the crescent falchion as our go to weapon. It made easy work of some things and was responsive enough to not get caught too often in the middle of an animation.

I’ll be onto Elden Ring at some point so maybe I’ll meet you there 😀

render

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution Congratulations, my friend. Are you excited for Elden Ring? I remember you saying you might play it in a few months once all the guides are out there and the first ones down the rabbit hole have thoroughly explored it.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Th3solution

@render Thanks. Yeah, it looks like it would take the better part of 2 complete playthroughs, and really 2.5 to get the platinum. I could see myself being able to get through much quicker on second run since I know the terrain and the boss strategies, but it would still be quite an investment. Whether Elden Ring or Dark Souls 3 is the next FromSoft game will depend upon the reviews. Maybe I will be in The Lands Between sooner rather than later!

@TheBrandedSwordsman Thanks and yes, I am getting more excited for Elden Ring, having completed Demon’s Souls. It really got me interested more in the genre and this newest entry looks phenomenal. But yeah, I am still going to wait until I read reviews and see the fan reception. I have no doubt it will be positive, but I do want to see if a few guides and videos start to pop up before I indulge in the game. Besides, I don’t want to burn myself out on the Souls games too aggressively, so I’m planning to play some other style games first to cleanse my palate.
How about you? Are you getting Elden Ring day 1?

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Well done sir, only 3 more to go now!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

R1spam

@Th3solution congrats my man!! Do you need a break from the souls formula or are you tempted for another? Bloodborne is truly a hell of a game and my fave of what I've played

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I know you told me I should play them all from the beginning to get the full effect, but I’m just not sure I want to wait to play DS3, as it’s the one I’m most excited to play. It and Elden Ring. I think I’ll go with the non-From knock offs before subjecting myself to Sekiro 😅

@R1spam I actually played Bloodborne. It was my only other FromSoft game before now. (Well, besides the 3-4 hours I spent back on PS3 with the original Dark Souls. At the time it didn’t click). And yeah, Bloodborne is exceptional. I would rank it higher overall compared to Demon’s Souls, despite DeS being fantastic in its own right. A few things held the game back from reaching the heights of BB, as I state in my review, but I can’t fault it for being the first of the Soulsborne series so it had a few ideas that needed to be fine tuned.

But to answer your question, yeah I’ll take a break for now. It’s possible that Elden Ring will rock the world and I’ll not be able to hold out, but for now I’ll play some different genre of games for a couple months before maybe DS3 or ER

Gremio108

@Th3solution Well done on beating this monster of a game! Are you going to be giving Elden Ring a shot?

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Th3solution

@Gremio108 I plan to play Elden Ring, certainly. If anything Demon’s Souls has convinced me of that (along with the gushing praise online for it). But I think I might play Dark Souls 3 first. I don’t know. If a copy of Elden Ring falls into my lap I’ll reconsider. Either way, I’m taking a Souls break for a bit. Started Mass Effect.
How about you? Jumping straight into The Lands Between?

Gremio108

@Th3solution Yep, started it tonight. It's pretty wonderful. Dark Souls 3 is my personal fave, for various reasons, so I'd be intruiged to see how you get on with it.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

nessisonett

Tower Knight is down. Bizarre fight with really odd hitboxes. At least it’s over.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@nessisonett I found Tower Knight to be one of the more difficult bosses. Perhaps it’s because I tried to get the special trophy for beating it without killing any archers. After a few failures at that, I decided I better just do it the traditional way and clear them out first.

nessisonett

@Th3solution That’s what I get for not checking the trophies! Ah well, don’t have any Souls platinums other than Elden Ring cause they’re usually a nightmare and I prefer playing the games blind rather than using a walkthrough for starters.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic