Forums

Topic: Demon Souls Remastered. Is it, isn't it?

Posts 141 to 160 of 793

ShaiHulud

@kyleforrester87 I'm currently at the Flamelurker boss and that's the first boss that's giving me trouble, especially since you don't have estus flasks that are automatically refilled each time you die. Since I can't block his attacks, every hit of him overrides my shield and I take damage. What a *****!

Sic semper tyrannis

kyleforrester87

@ShaiHulud Yeah I had to do quite a lot of levelling up before I could take him down (but subsequently I have beat the following 3-4 bosses without any drama). He is weak against magic so The Crescent Falchion is a good weapon to use against him if you are a melee character, you can find the sword in 4-1. As for topping up on healing items I like to start at 1-2, turn around and take a right, follow the steps to the top, kill the one armoured guy for 2 healing items and then run to the end of the path, hang a left and kill the more difficult armoured guy with the spear for 3 full moons (or sometimes a new moon). Then I run back to the archstone (usually jump off the steps to die as a shortcut, and grab my souls on the way back).

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Yep all good so far. Beaten 4 of the bosses. The one for the prison was damn annoying lol. Currently on the Shrine of storms first section, which is a cool area. Some of the skeletons are quite tough, the black and gold ones are proving problematic for me. The standard ones are fun to clobber with a blunt weapon, I am using a great club myself.

@kyleforrester87 Is that the Tower Knight arch stone? As this is also good to farm healing goodies if you head back towards the last arch stone. Also the section where you set off the boulder trap, and the dragon no longer attacks you when you cross the bridge. Only normal enemies there, so only good for Crescent Moon Grass.

I was reading up in this game last night, and it is amazing how much effort Bluepoint have put into this remake. The developer spent months in the mocap studio recording new animation to make sure the combat hit the same timing notes as the original while looking fresh in 4K. If they just updated it to 4K 60 fps it wouldn't have felt right.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

ShaiHulud

@kyleforrester87 Thanks for the tips! I'm using a melee character without any magic whatsoever, but my Falchion +7 does inflict some damage. I'm pretty sure I can beat him with about 5 healing items (not the smallest one), so I'll be farming some moons this afternoon in 1-2

Sic semper tyrannis

kyleforrester87

@ShaiHulud the Crescent Falchion is a magic infused version of the falchion, it's worth getting it and giving it a go if you're struggling. I didn't check the actual numbers but I had an easier time using it against the Flamelurker versus my level 7/8 scimitar.

Goodluck!

kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

@JohnnyShoulder Which prison boss did you find annoying? The first was super easy I found, and the second one I have only tried once last night and should have had it down but fell off the ledge close to the end!!

Shrine of Storms is cool, just past the first boss there.

kyleforrester87

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 The false idol. No, not difficult really just annoying getting there and with all the prisoners and furniture getting in the way lol. Really like the atmosphere in the prison, felt quite claustrophobic in places.

Managed to to defeat the couple of black skeletons, really easy when you know how. Shrine of Storms is really good for farming souls, gotta resist the temptation to keep going back to the nexus to level up and push on through the level.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

kyleforrester87

@JohnnyShoulder haha I beat the false idol without moving basically. Just ran behind the first pillar on the left and shot arrows at her until she died 🤷‍♂️ I was pretty overpowered by then to be fair.

Yeah the atmosphere in this game is amazing. The section after the False Idol is also really good.

kyleforrester87

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 I tried that but one her duplicates always managed to hit me. I two-handed my winged spear and put a flame on it, that seem to do the trick.

kyleforrester87

Just beat Man Eater, not too tough I thought. I am expecting a big difficulty spike soon 😂

kyleforrester87

ShaiHulud

@kyleforrester87 Gave Flamelurker another try yesterday and got him down to about 20% (which took ages with my puny amounts of damage) when he went berserk. Lots of unblockable moves in succession so that was that. Bit suprising really as up an to this boss I was surprised about the low difficulty! I've now decided to wander about in Shrine of Storms (what an incredible impressive level!) and see whether I can find that sword or yours and do some levelling I suppose, seeing as I haven't really done that yet.

Edited on by ShaiHulud

Sic semper tyrannis

JohnnyShoulder

@ShaiHulud You will see better results in terms of damage output if you upgrade a weapon rather then your stat levels. But you shouldn't ignore one over the other, and try to find a nice balance between the two. Also most bosses will be weak to certain element, if flamlurker is weak to magic you can enhance with Sticky White Stuff to further boost your damage.

ShaiHulud

@JohnnyShoulder So far I've only really upgraded my weapons so might have to put some points into my health bar and suchlike. My +9 falchion hardly does any damage to the Flamelurker so I'm looking around in 4-1 for that magic sword Kyle was talking about. I came across the Sticky White Stuff but the vendor asked something like 5000 souls for that!

I played all other From soulsborne games apart from Sekiro and this one, and I was a bit afraid this might disappoint a little bit as it's the oldest in the series, but so far it certainly doesn't!

Sic semper tyrannis

kyleforrester87

@ShaiHulud yeah I got him down to 10-20% health several times but he seems to go a little crazy at that point (wasn’t sure if it was just me so that’s good to know!) - recommend giving it a go with the sword I mentioned as it did seem to get his health bar down quicker. Also a fire resistant shield (the steel shield is an easy pick I think) and the flame resistant ring might help if you have it.

kyleforrester87

Black_Swordsman

@JohnnyShoulder Why are the black and gold skeletons giving you so much grief? I would have thought you could exploit whatever weakness(es) they have, do you know what they are? There should be info on the net, I think that Shrine of Storms looks beautiful in the Youtube footage I have seen. Which was the boss in the prison area? Don't worry about spoilers but you can put a tag in for other people if you like.

N.B Don't all the enemies have specific strengths and weaknesses? (So you can't use one weapon all the way through the game, unlike in Dks1 and Bloodborne - although you need curse resistant armour to go up against Seath the Scaleless - ideally).

Edit: I am planning on using Havel's Gear to go through the Great Hollow in Dark Souls Remastered to get to Ash Lake and get the Dragon Greatsword from the Ancient Dragon down there - It looks more like Guts ,the hero from the Berserk manga's weapon than the Greatsword I am currently using.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

ShaiHulud

@kyleforrester87 Good point about the steel shield. I've already found it somewhere but couldn't yet carry it because of my low stats. Plenty of souls to be found in world 4 though!

Sic semper tyrannis

mcdreamer

I'm enjoying the game so far though I realised I've got a lot to relearn since my last Dark Souls 3 play through years ago. So far I've got the to the Tower Knight after around 7 hours of play and have hit a bit of a wall. I started off as a knight and have +2 on my default sword. I think I'm going to grind some levels using the skeletons in 4-1 as they're a relatively easy kill and drop what at this point is a large number of souls. Either that or I'll push on through 2-1, though ideally I want to beat the Tower Knight next.

One thing I've noticed compared to DS3 is that there are not many archstones. It felt like bonfires were a lot more common in DS3. Demon's Souls does seem to make more use of shortcuts at least in an effort to balance that out a bit.

mcdreamer

JohnnyShoulder

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I have got past them now, but it was because I had been using a weapon which was really effective against the skeletons thus far. That and it was quite late so was probably tired. I battered them when I tried the next day with a fresh head.

ShaiHulud

@mcdreamer What you could also do is go to world 2, as a lot of enemies there drop stones for upgrading your weapons, which to me feels a bit more effective so far than levelling up.

Agree on the lack of checkpoints, I'm used to a lot more bonfires in Dark Souls and Bloodborne!

Sic semper tyrannis

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic