Forums

Topic: Demon Souls Remastered. Is it, isn't it?

Posts 121 to 140 of 793

mookysam

@JohnnyShoulder I was up at the crack of dawn to listen out for the delivery and by the evening was running on fumes, so I'm mostly impressed I wrote something semi-cohenrent at all! Just noticed that Bloodborne is in the PS Plus Collection thing, so that would probably be a good way to see how I get on with the genre.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

nessisonett

@mookysam Bloodborne’s like the Souls games on crack, it’s faster with less margin for error. That being said, the bosses have easier movesets to accommodate for that. It’s a good one to see if you enjoy the core ideas but Souls is so much slower paced that Demon’s Souls will feel almost like a different game in your approach to enemy encounters.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@mookysam @nessisonett Yeah Bloodborne would be good test to see if you like the gameplay. I played that after I gave up on Dark Souls on 2
360 and fared a lot better. I still don't know how I manged to get to the end of the game, as I didn't really know what i was doing and kinda just bundled my way through it!

Went I went back to Dark Souls Remastered, I initially struggled with how sluggish it felt compared to Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. I'm not feeling that with Demon Souls and it feels a lot smoother to play then Dark Souls Remastered.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@mookysam Don’t listen to what @nessisonett says about Bloodborne because he is a heathen.

Personally, I think it’s the best of the From games I’ve played (DS1, DS3, BB) as I much preferred the quicker combat style and the ability to regain health by immediately attacking back pushes that aggressive play.

If you’ve got the PS+ Collection I’d definitely say to give it a go but the first half hour or so is one of the most frustrating sections as you slowly get used to the mechanics and the first “bonfire” is a bit of a slog so you can’t upgrade your character to try and help you either.

Good luck if you do go for it as it’s a fantastic game.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho I’m not really hating on Bloodborne at all. It’s not even my least favourite Souls game. I agree about the opening hours though, the first lantern is in an annoying place and it takes a wee bit of time to get that shortcut to actually feel like you’re making progress.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@nessisonett I say it in jest because it’s this universally praised game that you talk about like;

Untitled

Nothing wrong with having that opinion. It’s just that it’s wrong 😉

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho I don't think anything @nessisonett said about Bloodborne was that bad? On this occasion.

But yeah the first few hours can be frustrating, especially as you can level up until you face the cleric beast. Which is similar to how Demon Souls works.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Black_Swordsman

@JohnnyShoulder Have you now played enough of the game to feel free to discuss how the difficulty of Demon's Souls compares to Dark Souls Remastered, Dark Souls III & Bloodborne? If so, what are your thoughts? Care to share?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

JohnnyShoulder

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I still say it is too early yet as I've only beaten the first real boss, gotten to the next boss and explored a bit in another world. You can definitely feel the difficulty increase the deeper you go into each world. Like I said before, it feels more like Dark Souls as it veers towards relying on having a shield, just not as sluggish. It also has a more lovecraftian vibe about it too.

I've gone for a Knight class and will probs do a dex build. I'll have to look to see what weapons that favours though and if that agrees with which ones i prefer using.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Jaz007

@JohnnyShoulder Unless, like me, you accidentally skip the Cleric Beast entirely and don’t resize it’s there until you are doing some co-op. Thankfully you can level up after meeting any boss.

Jaz007

JohnnyShoulder

@Jaz007 Yeah, as soon as you gain some insight really. I missed the Cleric Beast too so ended up facing Father Gascoigne before I could level up iirc.

kyleforrester87

I’m not finding Demon Souls obscenely difficult, first real boss is a piece of cake, the tower knight took 3 goes and the iron spider took 3. Although I spent a while exploring both areas and levelling up my weapons before taking them both on. I expect there is tons of BS to come, though. Good job it looks so pretty.

I’m playing as a Knight, trying to put points into strength, dex, endurance, faith and vitality fairly equally at the moment. Using a cool scimitar, spear and bow!

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Black_Swordsman

@kyleforrester87 How would you reckon the difficulty compares to Dark Souls 1? I hear a lot of it is in getting to the boss, rather than trying to defeat the actual boss, in which case I don't really want it because boss battles are what I look forward to about these games.

Edit: I know that bosses such as Gravelord Nito and the Four Kings are a pain to get to in Dark Souls 1, and there are numerous other examples, I just get the impression that due to the lack of archstones it's gonna be the areas that are trying, rather than the bosses.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

kyleforrester87

@Draco_V_Ecliptic in only on the fourth real boss at the mo and they’ve all taken less than 5 minutes to get to so far.

I have to say Flamelurker is really kicking my ass! Had him down to <10% health a few times.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

JohnnyShoulder

@Draco_V_Ecliptic There are usually shortcuts you unlock as you progress through the area, so by the time you face the boss it does not take long to get back to it. A Souls veteran like you should have no problems.

Black_Swordsman

@JohnnyShoulder Ahhh, Bloodborne-esque then? I remember in that game you only get initial lamps at the start of each area and then boss lamps after you beat each area's boss.

kyleforrester87

@Draco_V_Ecliptic nope no guides! Obviously once I’ve found a boss I try to find the most economical way to get to it again after dying.. which usually involves running past everything.

kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Finally (finally) took down Flamelurker and the Dragon God, and got a route to (what I am
assuming will be) the first boss in the prison.

kyleforrester87

JohnnyShoulder

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Yeah that is exactly how works in regards to the arch stones. My experience so far is that the enemies are positioned in such a way that it is difficult to run past them. It's not been a huge problem however, as the enemies have been relatively straight forward to kill.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic