Forums

Topic: Demon Souls Remastered. Is it, isn't it?

Posts 101 to 120 of 793

nessisonett

@Jaz007 From what I’ve heard, the performance mode looks good enough that 60FPS is totally worth it. Would you agree or does the graphics mode make a significant difference?

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

Hah no worries @Jaz007! Glad to hear that was the case! 😄

Hope you're enjoying Demon's Souls!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Jaz007

@nessisonett I think performance mode looks amazing and that 60FPS definitely worth it. The only disclaimer is that I don’t have a 4K TV. Native 4K aside, it’s not much of a difference, and it looks smooth in 60FPS.

Jaz007

JohnnyShoulder

From a review I just read: The use of 3D audio is equally good, with many enemies identified by sound long before you see them, but it’s arguably the DualSense controller which makes the most difference. Together with the improved sound, animation, and collision detection there’s a much greater sense of solidity and weight to the remake. When just walking around you can sense the texture of the ground – whether it’s wood, stone or something more organic – without looking at it, while clashing swords with a demon you feel the push back through the adaptive triggers, as every action stimulates multiple senses.

That does sound cool. Only 3 more sleeps and I will be experiencing it for myself!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Jaz007

@JohnnyShoulder I will say, as much as I’ve love the haptic feedback, I haven’t noticed any from walking. If you’re on a moving platform yes, but not just from walking. I don’t think it needs it, though. It‘a better dormant until an attack or slam thing breaks. (Because you can feel that pot shatter)

Jaz007

JohnnyShoulder

My copy arrived today. Woop Woop.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

I kinda only listened to this as I didn't wanna spoil anything. But interesting that he mentions the music and how impressed with how dynamic it is. And that the composer on the original game has given it the thumbs up.

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder The soundtrack just sounds rubbish though! Although, to be perfectly honest, I don’t really care about Souls soundtracks anyway, they’ve never been my thing. My favourite tracks are usually the lowkey ones like Majula’s theme in Dark Souls 2. Which are the exact types of tracks that have been butchered in this version of Demon’s Souls’ soundtrack 😂😂

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett It seems fine to me from what I have heard? Its all subjective though isn't it, you may think it is rubbish and I may think not. But for anyone that has not played the original, it is pretty much a non issue. 🤷‍♂️

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder My main problem is that every track has the same tone and instrumentation, which is ‘big’. Any sort of atmosphere is thrown over for choirs and loud booming orchestration. The original soundtrack is mostly downbeat and sorrowful, which fits the overall mood, especially when you read up on the background behind most of the bosses. Like I said before, if this was Dark Souls 3 then it would suit it perfectly as that game goes for a more old-school high fantasy tone. It’s less a problem with the actual sound of the tracks and more the case that it just doesn’t fit the game it was written for, unless this remake has completely removed the entire atmosphere of the original.

TheFrenchiestFry

Demon's Souls soundtrack is great. It's well orchestrated, nicely presented and has a sense of epic and ambitious scale in line with other Dark Souls games

The problem is, "large", "epic" and "booming" are not the kind of tone I'd expect from Demon's Souls. This soundtrack sounds like it would fit more into something like Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne, but Demon's Souls is none of these things. It's a lot more sombre and dour compared to subsequent Souls titles. The original OST evoked that perfectly with how almost awkward and confused the instrumentation and vocal melodies were, and it felt like instead of trying to make a good reinterpretation of sound of Demon's Souls, the developers just looked at Dark Souls & Bloodborne and said "Well Demon's Souls is a Souls game so obviously that kind of music must fit."

It's not a bad soundtrack. In fact looking at it standalone, it might be one of the best OSTs of the year for a game so far, but it doesn't quite capture what makes Demon's Souls unique from other Souls titles

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Matroska

What the hell is up with the latency? I'm on a wired connection and in the UK. The best ping is Ohio with 108, the rest are at least 27,000. That's a delay of at least 27 seconds. Normally I get about 7 or 8 milliseconds.

Untitled

Edited on by Matroska

Matroska

PSN: Matroska_

nessisonett

@Matroska 27000 ping??? Oh man, that’s like dial-up levels 😂😂

JohnnyShoulder

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I've only played an hour so far, so can't really comment on how it compares to other games in terms of difficulty. It feels more like Dark Souls though being that you can wield a shield a d the combat is more similar.

But I am really enjoying it. It looks incredible, plays really smooth at 60fps and combined with the dual sense it feels so good to play. I think the score is fine too, it has quieter moments and sometimes there is no music playing at all.

mookysam

This is the first time I’ve bought a console at launch since the GameCube, so I’m pretty excited. I think getting used to the UI will take a little while, and I can’t see any way of uploading saves to the cloud by pressing the options button on a game icon like you could on the PS4. I forgot to factory reset my PS4 last night and didn’t realise it would take six hours to do the job! That’ll probably go to charity once lockdown has ended, so I’m hoping I have the original box stored somewhere. Rather than wait for the reset I decided to put the PS5 on it’s box on the floor temporarily. The PS5 has barely made a single sound, other than a brief but unpleasant grinding whirr when the fan kicked in after I placed a disc in. It’s also been quite cool to the touch. The resetting PS4 has warmed my room to such a degree I haven’t needed to put the heater on today.

Anyhoo, I played some Astro’s Playroom while Spider-Man Remastered downloaded and am maybe halfway through. It’s extremely cute with lots of little touches and references to PlayStation games and history. The game rewards your curiosity and I had an array of trophies pop up simply for experimenting with various things dotted around the levels. The haptic rumble is extremely impressive and I was most surprised by feeling individual raindrops pitter patter on the umbrella. It’s a shame Nintendo abandoned the somewhat less impressive HD rumble in the Switch’s joycons, but if developers put effort into the PS5’s haptics it could be something truly special.

@JohnnyShoulder It looks amazing, and I can’t say I’m not tempted, but the difficulty might be a bit much for me. How hard is Dark Souls?

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

JohnnyShoulder

@mookysam This is my first ever console at launch, the closest I've come is PS2 and PS4 4 - 6 months after day 1.

As for Demon Souls, it is hard to reccomend if you have never played a game in the series before. I hated Dark Souls when I first played it and it took me months for it to fully click. Demon Souls might be better becasue of the 60fps is doesn't feel as janky. I'm finding the starting area relatively easy, but this is my fifth (6th if you count Sekiro) game in the series. Your best bet if you have any reservations is try to borrow or rent it before buying it. Hope that helps!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

mookysam

@JohnnyShoulder Brill, thanks. I think I’ll rent it rather than risk £70. It sounds like a tough genre to get into, but once it clicks is great. Also just realised I accidentally posted the bulk of my comment in the wrong thread. 🤣

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

JohnnyShoulder

@mookysam Ha ha with the current state of the PS5 section I don't think anyone else noticed!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic