Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 3,741 to 3,760 of 4,206

LtSarge

@Th3solution I haven't been following The Quarry that much but from what I've seen it does look more promising compared to the shorter games they've made with The Dark Pictures titles. I mean, Until Dawn was absolutely incredible which is why I feel like Supermassive is better at making fewer but longer stories instead. Quality over quantity and all that.

But yeah, it's been a long time since I've played a horror game. I think RE4 is my first one this year actually. I have been craving a spooky experience for a while now though, so I'm glad that I went with RE4 as my next game to play.

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@Bentleyma Did you end up grabbing Kao, by any chance? I'd be interested in some trusted opinions about that game, as I'm more than a little tempted.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Bentleyma

@RogerRoger I’ve only played the first level, but it seems like a PS2 era platformer with modern graphics. There are lots of things to collect. I quite like that it takes me back to the PS2 days. I think if you liked the Spyro or Crash remakes, then you’ll enjoy this.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

RogerRoger

@Bentleyma Nice, cheers for the early impressions! Sounds like a good throwback. Here's hoping the action holds up throughout its runtime, and that you enjoy the rest of the game!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

sorteddan

I purchased:
Assault Android Cactus
Wizard of Legend
Holy Potatoes: We're in Space

All from or one of other of the current PS Store sales for a combined this total of under a tenner... Because I wanted to - gotta keep up my intake of twin stick and indies.

Edited on by sorteddan

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

LN78

We were talking about "The Sopranos" over in the TV thread and then I saw "The Mafia Trilogy" brand new physical for under £20. Sold.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Bargain! Have you played 'em before?

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger No I haven't - at least I don't think I have. I have a vague recollection of playing a mob related game at a friend's house a few years ago but that might have been one of those EA "Godfather" licensed affairs. I'm really not sure.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 You should be in for a treat, then. I really enjoyed the full remake of the first game, and reckon the third game is hugely underrated, too. Very nice period pieces. Haven't played the second before (either in its original form or via the remaster you've just purchased) but I gather it's got a good reputation.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@LN78 @RogerRoger Even though I haven’t played them, I feel like I should know this — but is Mafia III a continuation of the storyline in the first two games? In the recesses of my memory I feel like the first two games are more direct story sequels, whereas the third is separate but just takes place in the same world?

The reason I ask is that I have the third game through PS+ and I can’t remember if I should play it out of order from the first two.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I got this from Reddit.

All three games take place in the same universe and reference the previous ones. With that being said, the story is not continuous between games and they all feature different stories and characters.

The two main references to previous games are as follows:

-There's a small sequence from Mafia I featured in Mafia II.

-A character from Mafia II is featured in Mafia III.

So playing them in the right order is the recommended way without a doubt, but not doing it isn't THAT much of a loss.

I played the 2nd game on 360 and then the remastered version last year, so any references would have been lost on me. Yet to play the third game, I will probably never get to it at this point.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Th3solution In addition to the helpful information Johnny found for you, know that I started with Mafia III, which I played back in 2018 when it was first made "free" on PS Plus. I was made aware that one of its supporting characters was a legacy character from Mafia II, but I never felt at a loss for not having the previous games, and still thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I then picked up and played the first game's Definitive Edition last year, and it being a modern remake helped ensure that I didn't feel like I was taking a backwards step. They're just good, mostly self-contained period mob stories.

@JohnnyShoulder Lots of folks were underwhelmed by Mafia III, but I reckon you could do far worse the next time you're in the mood for an open-world action game. I'd never go around telling people it's a "must play" but I'd still recommend you keep it in mind.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Yeah I will never say never, but there are a load of other open world games ahead of it at the moment. Horizon Forbidden West, Far Cry 6, Days Gone, God of War Ragnarok (not strictly open world, but in my head it is in the same bracket) plus probably other games I can't think of at the mo.

Plus after I finish my epic time with Elden Ring, I'm gonna need an equally epic break from open world games.

Mafia 3 is above games like Death Stranding and Red Dead Redemption 2, no matter how good I hear they are, I have almost zero interest in playing at this stage.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I’m with you on a couple from your list — I still need to play Days Gone and HFW (still need to buy the latter). Not terribly interested in Far Cry. I also am considering my next open world to be Immortals. Not to mention AC Odyssey. How I left two Greek themed open world Ubisoft games in the backlog I’ll never know. I’ll have to separate them by several months. 😅 The Mafia games do sound like they could scratch an different itch since the setting is unique from the typical apocalyptic or historical / mythological backdrops.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Oh yeah I've got Immortals Fenix Rising left to finish. I'm not sure about Assassin's Creed Odyssey, there is something about holding me back from playing, and I did enjoy Origins.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Honestly, the notorious length and ‘bloat’ is what has sapped my hype for AC Odyssey. I think Immortals is a little shorter. And I hear it’s BotW inspired, which has be curious. So I have it slotted for my next big game to try. I also recently heard a sequel for it has been greenlit. The fact you never finished it has me a little worried though.

Lavalera

@Th3solution Immortals is shorter than Odyssey for sure. Immortals imo is so underrated. The gameplay is actually fun, the puzzles not overly complicated. The biggest problems people seem to have with is the humor in the game, which i actually like. Just dont bother with the dlc though, it didnt add much to the game

Edited on by Lavalera

PSNid: Lavalera

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Ah no, it is a good game I think I just got distracted but something new and shiny, like a magpie that I am. The only thing I think you might dislike is the characters and humour, as it could grate on some people I can imagine.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder @Lavalera Cool. That sounds like enough of an endorsement for me. Once I finish Kena I’ll check it out.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Well, I can't speak to many of the other sandbox games you're considering but yes, I would definitely place Horizon Forbidden West above Mafia III, despite my endorsement of the latter!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic