Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 6,281 to 6,300 of 6,461

KilloWertz

@Kidfried I know. I could literally play it on almost anything, It's just with so many games coming out and so many I still want to play in my backlog, it's not easy to fit something in that I wouldn't mind playing but isn't a high priority. It's not exactly a short game either, which doesn't help.

I believe I did as well, although it is multiple decades since I've played it. Unfortunately it's a product of getting stuck in a spot and then giving up on it like I did with several games back in those days before YouTube help videos existed.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Th3solution

@KilloWertz @Kidfried @MaulTsir The Remake better than the OG FF7!?! Sacrilege!
😜

Although I’m not quite as high on the Remake as you all, I did like it. From a technical and visual standpoint, it’s fantastic. I really enjoyed the characters also and felt that voice acting and 3D facial modeling added so much more to the experience of getting to know them. The story however… it’s a bit of a question mark for me. Hopefully they salvage it with Rebirth or Resurrection or Renovation or Reconciliation, or whatever this second installment is called.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution You probably posted this already a long while ago, but I'm wondering what's the part of the story you didn't like.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Retaliation, maybe? Or better yet, Regurgitation? 😂

@Kidfried It was the ending when things seemed to go a little off-rails. And it’s not even necessarily that it veers wildly from the source material, but that’s part of it. I guess it just seemed the last story sections get muddled and confusing with this idea of whispers and altering fate. It’s like they have built in a metaverse concept whereby they can manipulate the plot however they want without relying on sensical writing. Clearly they want to retcon Aerith’s death, one of the most iconic gaming moments of all time which is fine, but the way it’s conveniently handled through the idea of alternate fates or whatever seems very… I don’t know, vague and too convenient? The ending seemed rushed too which added to the loose and incomplete feeling of not all. When you see Zack show up, it’s supposed to be a teaser, I realize, but it just made me confused and feel a bit left out because I never played Crisis Core, which until a couple months ago there wasn’t a way to play it without a device from 20 years ago. People have complained the story has treaded into Kingdom Hearts territory, and I can’t speak to that since I’ve never played those, but I do know they are definitely games that are known for ridiculously twisted and nonsensical storytelling. I’m just hoping it doesn’t get that way with FF7 remakes going forward.

Like I say, I liked the game a lot, and I plan to be there if not day 1 probably within the launch period of the second game, depending how it reviews. I just wished they fleshed out this whole alternate storyline concept better, and maybe they will.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KilloWertz

@Th3solution Well, I did say I never finished the original, so....

It's Rebirth by the way. Who knows afterwards. Maybe they third one will be one of the other ones. Maybe even Final Fantasy VII: We Swear We Aren't Killing Aerith This Time.

Ralizah

I've technically only finished the original FF7 once, but have replayed it up to the point where you're right before the final dungeon at least six times over the years. I guess I really just didn't want it to end.

@Th3solution It's like they delivered on 95% of remaking FF7's Midgar arc rather faithfully, and then, at the last minute, decide to go full Kingdom Hearts-level bonkers with everything in a way that totally throws off the story progression. If you told me they decided to allow a child to storyboard the last couple of hours of that game, or that the ending was just a really weird acid trip, I'd take it.

It's actually the second time recently that a beloved Japanese property I'm invested in has seen a modern release that was billed as a remake, but eventually flips the table and reveals itself to be a stealth sequel. It's pretty much that meme... if I had two nickels for every time it'd happened to me, I'd only have ten cents, but it's still weird it happened twice.

It definitely didn't ruin the game for me, but it does make me VERY wary of where they're going with the story in the sequels.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@Ralizah Yes, exactly! And I’m not an expert on the original story of FF7, having played it once several years ago, but I know the ending of the Remake felt very foreign. You described it perfectly.

What was the other franchise that did the ol’ bait-and-switch on its remake?

Ralizah

@Th3solution Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. The anime, in particular. The series was revived recently with a pitched remake, but it didn't take long for the story to drop that pretense. But it follows similar story beats to the original nonetheless.

The ending of FF7R is so extra that I don't even know how you follow it up in future games. Like, we've already killed the god of fate or whatever and fought Sephiroth in space. Where do you even go from that point?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@Ralizah Yup. We’ll have to see. So long as we get to have Vincent in our party. He was my favorite character both artistically and in combat.

KilloWertz

@Ralizah Cloud, Machete (the movie character), and Zack via time travel vs Sephiroth in a return to space? They never did do the movie Machete Kills in Space. Or, if you're into wrestling, Cloud vs. Sephiroth in an Aerith on a pole match?

Edited on by KilloWertz

Anti-Matter

Nexomon PS4
Still leveling up my creatures at lava city.

Anti-Matter

MaulTsir

@Th3solution I do agree that the story went a little....doolally (for want of a better word) towards the end but overall I definitely preferred the Remake to the Original. The characters where alot more fleshed out, Cloud actually felt like a Human being with feelings and emotions and I much preferred seeing this version of him. Obviously cut scenes and stuff help massively with this and animation and graphics have improved 6 fold since the original came out but I felt they got the world building down to a T as well. Loved the original btw it was alway 7 and 9 that where my jam but something about the Remake just really sat well with me.

MaulTsir

Th3solution

@MaulTsir Yeah, I think your feelings are similar to mine and Ral’s — the game is quite excellent up until the final moments. And the strange left turn that the story takes at the end might be okay if they have a good plan, but it makes me worried.

I felt that in addition to Cloud, Aerith really benefited from voice acting and added character development through 3D modeling. I never really connected with Aerith in the original quite like I did in the remake. Tifa seemed a little more human as well, but wasn’t quite as drastically improved over her PS1 version as Aerith, imo. Barrett I thought was about the same as his original version, except for the added fatherly tenderness we got to see in the remake. But his animated rants about environmental stewardship of the earth came across like I remember from his pixelated version 😅

Anti-Matter

Nexomon PS4.
Finally I got Roohopu, a Kangaroo creature in Nexomon.

Anti-Matter

straw-hat-crew

Finally finished One Piece Odyssey, about two weeks ago. I've been playing Guardians of the Galaxy. It's fun! I'm still getting used to the combat...the gun play with Star Lord is kind of "helter-skelter"(sp?) sometimes. I'm having a good time though.

Be Kind and Support Each Other.

Anti-Matter

Nexomon PS4.
Already reached Hilda's Mansion place and still leveling up my team at least all level 40+.

Anti-Matter

kyleforrester87

I’m currently playing Wolfenstein: The New Order. I played it once before at launch, and loved it. I started again yesterday and played 70% of it in one sitting. I’d hoped to get it finished off today, but I haven’t had the time in the end.

It’s really, really good. Up there with my favourite first person shooters, which would be Half-Life 1 & 2, MOH Frontline and Red Faction 1 & 2. It’s just so good.

I am going to give The New Colossus a fairer shake once I am done with this. I didn’t like it much, and didn’t finish it when it came out. I don’t remember much of it either.

I should probably finish The Old Blood, too. That was ok, but lacking story.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

kyleforrester87

And if anyone is wondering why I was in the mood to play Wolfenstein, I spent the Sunday before last watching 10 hours back to back of “Hitlers Circle of Evil” on Netflix and had to vent

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

CaptD

@kyleforrester87 I've just finished Wolfenstein NC, I didn't like it at all and the worst game I've played in some time (I've yet to play Redfall). I thought the difficulty was cheap with dodgy checkpoints, in fact I had to lower the difficulty to "please don't hurt me/I just want to play" as it kept respawning me in the middle of a firefight without much scope to "get gud".
Some of the map layout and side missions were questionable, there was one mission where I had to locate a missing person in the home base, I had to resort to a YouTube video to find where he was. The whole game seems to be built on the premise to annoy the player.
And we won't go into the cut scenes, seriously I flicked over my TV to read the news and various websites and when I came back the cutscene was still playing.

Thankfully as I didn't enjoy it I won't even contemplate trying to platinum it, not that I have the patience for that (that trophy is another cheap aspect to this game).
The only saving grace is that I played it on PS+ Extra.
Rant over.

Shame as I really enjoyed New order and Old Blood.

CaptD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic