Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 2,681 to 2,700 of 6,463

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution I tried Ghost of Tsushima and have watched gameplay footage or read reviews of the other games you mentioned, but they didn't really gel with me, with GoT it was because human-to-human contact doesn't really interest me, as I am much more of a sci-fi/fantasy rpg person, which is why Star Wars Jedi:Fallen Order is the perfect game for me. I just completed Dathomir and thoroughly enjoyable the moral turbulence that Cal Kestis experiences on that planet. Malchios appears to be a great villain and I expect I am getting close to the boss fight you previously mentioned, my lightsaber is currently broken and the next objective is to get it repaired. Am I close to the end now?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@stuzster The Witcher 3 is a great game, I love RPGs and it is a standout among the genre. Did you ever play Fable on the original XBox, that's my other favorite. I get the impression that's not really your cup of tea though? Well worth it if you like TW3 though, because it drew a lot from that game imo.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

RogerRoger

@nessisonett @JohnnyShoulder Yeah, I always find (or found; we'll see how I go this time) that Drake's Deception has better gameplay pacing. Its story does have some filler, but it's an excuse to go and see some exciting set-pieces, none of which outstay their welcome. The overall story is also better, with a more memorable villain and greater focus on Sully, who's my favourite.

It also handles the inevitable supernatural element in a much more acceptable way, and is more in-keeping with A Thief's End in this regard (no spoilers, if Ness hasn't played it yet).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@stuzster If you're planning on getting into Gwent (you should, it's great), then my advice in the early game is to visit all the taverns you come across as they frequently have cards for sale. This can help boost your pack early in the game when you only have terrible cards to use.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Yeah, sometimes the game setting makes a big difference. If you don’t like historical context and realistic human enemies then it certainly won’t gel. It’s very much like an Assassins Creed game in that regard.

As far as Fallen Order, Yeah I think you’re getting pretty close. If I remember right, you should be coming to the most epic parts pretty soon and the ending is not far now I’m interested in how you‘ll like it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@stuzster Ha, yeah it takes a while to get a deck together. It's been years since I played the game so I can't give many more tips but I found it quite a fun waste of time on the side.

I hope you enjoy the game though. The DLC is also excellent but might be too much of a good thing playing it straight from the main game; Heart of Stone can be played around the mid-game but Blood and Wine is end game stuff.

Thrillho

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution I just completed my second trip to Dathomir, and defeated Taron Malicos, was he the boss you were referring to as tough? If so I didn't really find him that hard, I defeated him on my first go, dodging and spamming the split saber attack whenever I could. One thing I felt that they could have done differently, though ,is that after Merrin is on your side, she could have called off the undead nightsisters so they wouldn't attack you on sight even though you have already made a pact of peace with her. Kind of like in Dark Souls where the forest dwellers won't attack you on sight unless you attack them first, if you have joined their covenant, that would have made that part of the game more congruent with the story. perhaps I'll complete the game in the next day or so, if the force is with me. Where do you stand on the Dark Souls games by the way?

Edit: I just beat the game Loved the ending with Darth Vader, even though you don't actually beat him, just escape him. Excited to try New Game Plus and the rest of the additional content.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

Th3solution

@Draco_V_Ecliptic congratulations on finishing and glad you liked it! Yeah Malicos was the boss I really struggled with. I died several times and considered taking the difficulty down, but I persevered and finally beat him. The final boss Trilla and Darth Vader were not as hard for me, but others struggled there apparently. But I loved the Darth Vader cameo. The ending was really fun. And I liked the fact that Cal destroyed the Holocron in the end.

I’m glad you like it enough to go back and do NG+. Reckon you’ll get the platinum?

As for me and my relation to Dark Souls, I think I’m likely to try my hand at the series again eventually, but not anytime soon. My next Souls-like might actually be the aforementioned Code Vein or maybe Demon’s Souls on PS5. Of the core Dark Souls trilogy, I only tried the first game and didn’t make it very far and so when I return to the series I think I’ll actually play the third game since it is supposedly the closest to Bloodborne, which I loved. I realize the narrative will be spoiled it I jump straight to DS3, but in reading about the games I think I’m most likely to resonate with it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

I should probably play Code Vein at some point. Hoping to find it for about £15 though, I don’t think I’d spend any more than that.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Congratulations on beating Jedi: Fallen Order, and glad you enjoyed it. Just a heads-up in case you weren't aware, when you start New Game Plus, you'll find a bonus outfit and lightsaber crystal waiting for you. Have fun with the additional modes!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Jaz007

@nessisonett @RogerRoger Uncharted 3 is absolutely my favorite. The story is made for the set peices, but Uncharted doesn’t have a story better than any other game (we have to separate characters from story here). The set pieces make the games. 3 has the best ones with the best pacing, which also works well for the story overall. Completely a bonding this approach made for a marginally better story in Uncharted 4 at the cost of all gameplay pacing and great set pieces. Instead we got what felt like a mini-set pieces in the previous games for just about the whole game. I waited the entire game to match any great scene in U3. I got to climb for obscene amounts of time instead where the fights were entirely too short and terribly paced.
U3’s hallucination (late game one) and plane falling apart scenes will always be some of my favorite set pieces in gaming. The fights and melee system always feel about right and are broken up by puzzles or varied by set-pieces within the action.

Jaz007

RogerRoger

@Jaz007 Couldn't agree more. When I recently replayed A Thief's End, it left me cold and the whole adventure definitely drags, lacking in ridiculous spectacle. I much preferred the punchier pacing of Lost Legacy, and am currently falling in love with Drake's Deception all over again.

I've only just cleared Syria, so the chateau is the only ambitious trailer moment I've encountered thusfar, but the moment-to-moment variety in the slower sections is still way more diverse. In fact, Syria is a great example of this; you're solving puzzles, brawling with brutes and trying some optional stealth and then, just when it starts to feel like it could get repetitive, you're thrown out a window and left hanging in a vertical shoot-out, before a mad dash across rooftops leads you to a sniper duel with RPG-wielding sharpshooters... and this is all before you reach the level's massive mechanism and plot advancement. It's one of those locations which everybody always forgets about, and even I was a bit hazy on some parts, but I adored every second of it (so much so, I missed loads of great Photo Mode opportunities).

Making It So Since 1987

Jaz007

@RogerRoger I almost mentioned that with my favorite set pieces, but left it out in favor my absolute favorites. Honestly, the fact that it gets forgotten is a testament to the number of great set pieces in the game. There are too many to remember, which just fantastic.
How is Lost Legacy compared to U3? I haven’t played it because I just didn’t have motivation for it after I finished U4. I didn’t really want more of the same.

Jaz007

RogerRoger

@Jaz007 I'm really looking forward to the cruise ship, as well. I remember that being a highlight.

Lost Legacy would probably be my favourite, if Drake's Deception wasn't a thing. It does take a similar approach to A Thief's End and keeps a lot of its action sequences smaller in scale, and it has a sandbox area in its middle which can kill the pacing if you're not in a hurry, but there is a grandeur and beauty to its design which I felt A Thief's End lacked. It understands how important a sense of scale is, and there are plenty of "camera zooms out dramatically" moments during traversal that made my jaw drop, even if the combat itself was relatively straightforward in comparison.

Chloe and Nadine also make for much fresher protagonists, and aren't carrying as much baggage as Nate was in A Thief's End, which helps to keep everything energised. It's also a good thing that it was originally designed as DLC, not a standalone game, because (providing you don't hang around in the sandbox) it only takes around seven hours to clear. It never outstays its welcome, which is my biggest problem with my two least-favourite Uncharted games.

Out of the original trilogy, it reminds me of Drake's Fortune the most (which is why Drake's Deception still tops my ranking), but I mean that in all the right ways. If you haven't played an Uncharted game in a while, I think you'd really enjoy it.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@nessisonett Code Vein kinda dropped off quietly, so I wonder how good it is. The demo was really interesting in the anime aesthetic and strange storyline. The combat seemed very much a version of the Dark Souls formula, but it had some pretty complex variations and overwhelmed me somewhat. It’s always hard to tell from a demo though.

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution Thankyou, it was a great experience. I have tried out NG+ but I don't think I will try for the platinum. I reckon you should give Dark Souls 3 a go if you enjoyed Bloodborne, it uses the same engine after all. I am continually intrigued by Hollow Knight as it is allegedly a Souls-like but wasn't a huge fan of the "cutesy" animation. What do you reckon about that game?

@RogerRoger thanks it was worth it, especially to experience those NG+ bonus materials.

HallowMoonshadow

Hollow Knight has some "Souls-like" qualities to it @Draco_V_Ecliptic such as having to recover your geo (Money) after you die from a phantom of yourself and the atmosphere is very much in line with those games alongside some similar-ish story beats (And I guess it's a bit difficult) but otherwise it's very much a metroidvania type of game with a sprawling map, a number of abilities you unlock like a wall climb, a dash and so forth... Just with bugs.

It's a very well made and wonderful little game. One of the best games I played last year and of this generation personally.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Yeah, I’ve no experience with Hollow Knight but Foxy said it well.

I’ve heard that Salt and Sanctuary is the closest thing to a 2D Souls game.

Black_Swordsman

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I was also thinking of getting Super Meat Boy, which is the better of the two games in your opinion, please madame?

Kidfried

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Super Meat Boy is cool, but I lost interest a bit in the game around the half way point. So I would recommend Hollow Knight (which I also have not finished, haha, but that was for reasons that had nothing to do with the game).

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic