Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,341 to 1,360 of 6,460

Tjuz

As I mentioned in the screenshots thread, I started Ratchet and Clank earlier tonight. I've finished Veldin and Aridia so far, and am most of the way through Kerwan. It's really charming so far, and it's graphics are absolutely gorgeous. I do have to say those movie footage cutscenes do take me out of the game pretty much every time they're used, since they just don't quite add up within the game, but luckily they don't take up too much time. Really satisfying gameplay, and collecting bolts feels great. I also already have a soft spot for Mr. Zurkon. His taunts towards the enemies are truly adorable.

Tjuz

JohnnyShoulder

@Tjuz I like the Grooveaton, I think it's called which makes enemies dance. Seeing a tank doing the moonwalk never gets old!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Areus

Currently Playing Okage The Shadow King a game i didn't really Pay much attention to Back in the day But Hey Better Late then Never Right?

Areus

Tjuz

@JohnnyShoulder I really haven't used that weapon enough! I'm near the end, will finish up tomorrow, so I'll have to make it a point to use it on more enemies and see their respective dances. I did use it on Mrs. Zurkon though, not expecting it to work, and was in for a fun surprise when I saw her dance beautifully. Mr. Zurkon remains my favourite power to employ, and now there's cute little Zurkon Jr. as well!

Tjuz

JohnnyShoulder

@Tjuz I like it when your not shooting with Mr Zurkon and he tells you off!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Tjuz

@JohnnyShoulder "Mr. Zurkon is bored."
"Mr. Zurkon does not need bolts. His currency is pain."
"Nanotech? Would the lombax like a nap too?"

Good ol' Mr. Zurkon. I also love "You are not dead yet. Mr. Zurkon intends to rectify this."

Tjuz

HallowMoonshadow

Finally tried out the Code Vein demo.

The character creation is really quite good with a nice variety of stuff you can do and change especially with all the different colour pallets/patterns.

I like that whilst there is only 9 or so outfits (Really could do with some more), you can take like 7 or so "extra parts" off of the outfit to make it more unique looking.

For example the one that looks a bit like a tube top and shorts you can take the straps and the feathery gloves and the feathers attached to the boots, among other things, off.

Not to mention you can add accessories all over your character like a little coffin backpack, monacles, earrings or tiny top hats (There's like 8 pages of various accessories).

You'll likely run into clipping problems doing all this but there's a decent editor you can use to shift things about (if a touch cumbersome to get used to the controls for that).

It's one of the few creators that I did end up spending quite a bit of time with and made two characters for it.

Whereas Dark Souls is a Japanese take on Western fantasy themes... Code Vein is definitely Anime-y in terms of presentation and the story from what you can play.

I'd say it's a teeny bit more mature then the usual stuff you might associate with anime... but there's still a certain japanese feel to it as the first character to properly greet you is this lady.

Untitled

It's the kinda stuff that makes me roll my eyes a little and go oh Japan šŸ˜… (In a light hearted way mind!)

As for the proper meat of the demo it gives you one decently sized area (the first one in fact) and a boss fight. The whole "adventure" might take you about half an hour to 45 minutes for Souls players and a touch longer for anyone else.

It does then give you an optional harder dungeon to go through with two extra AI characters and two classes though which is nice.

I didn't find the main bulk of the demo overly difficult (Maybe because of my experience with the dark souls/bloodborne series), but I didn't find the right playstyle for me or even a weapon that I really liked though either.

The blood codes/classes and gifts are an interesting system... But I think I need to try the demo out a bit more as I never got the hang of it all and why I wasn't able to use a certain weapon or such.

The menu wasn't as clear as Dark Souls' but it could've been because I wasn't feeling great and didn't fully take it all in.

You can change the classes whenever you like during the game in the inventory but it'll affect the gifts (Spells), weapons, Ichor (Mp) and Hp you have as well though which is pretty neat but ya also have to be careful!

The combat feels pretty decent (Though I'd definitely fiddle about with the control scheme as I don't particularly like the set up) and probably have to do a comparison to the Dark Souls titles to see how it differs mechanically.

The Ai character is pretty decent in battle though and will always try to heal you if you fall down and buff you if they can. The two you initially play with in the main bit of the demo can handle the Lost quite happily.

Again I'd need to play more (Like the bonus area) to see how it does, the game does seem to be designed for the two characters though rather then just yourself bumbling about and they do make a number of commemts so it's not as lonesome as the Souls games either.

But of course you can purposely bump them off if you wish to travel by yourself...

Also little side note but it's quite odd that you don't level up any stats like Hp, Strength, Dexterity... You just get Haze (Souls) to level up your... well... level on the bonfires Mistle

It's an even more watered down version of Bloodborne's fewer stats.

But there is a bunch of passive and active skills you can buy with Haze from the different classes along with the usual buying items, upgrading weapons and so on that uses Haze (Souls).

Also just found out that

Bandai Namco will release an update for the Code Vein demo that adds the high-difficulty ā€œTown of Sacrificeā€ stage, multiplayer mode, and the ability to bring customized character from the demo into the full game

No idea when it'll drop but that's pretty neat.

Overall I found it pretty good despite my negative sounding thoughts above. I have some quibbles and really need to try it again and get to grips with it but I can totally see myself enjoying the full game too!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I am so glad you posted this! I started the demo last night and was interested to hear peopleā€™s reactions to it. Iā€™m a little mixed myself.

You also seem to have spent more time with it than I have and you have a better grip on the gameā€™s mechanics. Thanks for explaining some of it the way you did, because the game struggles a little in the tutorial department. I think probably because itā€™s a trial version the explanation is a little rushed and cryptic.
The menus are confusing to me, and the blood codes and gifts are especially obtuse. Add in there the items, and weapons and it looks a little overwhelming. Of course my intellectual investment was pretty shallow and I didnā€™t really try to learn the systems like I would if I actually purchased the game. But your explanations helped me a lot. I hadnā€™t considered that Ichor is basically MP and Haze are basically Souls (or Echoes).

The early section of combat didnā€™t seem too difficult, but once I had to go out on my own (after the AI companion gets injured) then I struggled and died and just went to bed. Being transported way back to the starting mistle was too much for my patience at the time. So I havenā€™t made it very far and never made the boss. I was just rushing through to see how the game felt.

I thought the story was also pretty strange, even for an anime. Maybe it makes more sense later. The drinking blood thing, the weird lady at the beginning that acts like sheā€™s stoned and whose shirt is just one strong breeze away from losing hold of any coverage, and the overall unusual lack of exposition about who the heck all these people are and why they are making me search for blood beads... it was all a little much to take in.

But yeah, that character creator is fantastic! Itā€™s worth playing just for that. There is a remarkable amount of depth to everything from facial tattoos and scars, to pupil and eye designs. And itā€™s not like a lot of character creators where you simply spend 2 hours adjusting how thick the lips are and how high the nose sits. The fantasy and anime nature of the game makes for so many cool design concepts and colors for everything. Bravo to the design team for such a cool art style.

Overall, the game didnā€™t quite set its hook in me through this demo, but it did satisfy my curiosity. I might return to it and try again in coming weeks. Iā€™ve found that demos can be both misleading and really helpful at times when trying to decide if Iā€™ll like a game.

Edited on by Th3solution

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

HallowMoonshadow

Well thanks... I thought my impressions for this wasn't the best I've wrote but glad it's helped you out a bit @Th3solution !

Th3solution wrote:

The menus are confusing to me, and the blood codes and gifts are especially obtuse.

Each code has stats tied to it and that affects what weapons you can carry and the gifts you can use (Though you can max out a skill and make it availible to use with another code potentially)

But yeah having another go it's still a little wonky about all that with the menu and the likes.

There is a handy section for tips in the inventory and the mistle has a tutorial prompt... Haven't looked at them properly though.

Th3solution wrote:

The early section of combat didnā€™t seem too difficult, but once I had to go out on my own (after the AI companion gets injured) then I struggled and died and just went to bed. Being transported way back to the starting mistle was too much for my patience at the time.

You should've found the shortcut that leads you right next to the starting mistle by the time ya lose Oliver but as you said yourself you were more rushing through the demo

The next companion isn't that far after oliver takes a break either.

Th3solution wrote:

I thought the story was also pretty strange, even for an anime. Maybe it makes more sense later.

I think it's because the game is trying to be a bit obtuse like Dark Souls, but still have an animey plot to go with it (There's actually the opening movie available to watch if you leave it on the opening screen for a bit which is really anime. Or you can just watch the opening below!)

Short story from what I got so far is they're all vampires. Anime vampires. And rather then the usual feasting on humans thing that most vampire plots have they have Blood Beads. Which are a crystaline fruit that grow from trees, that contain blood. Also there's a red mist surrounding the city (Lets say Tokyo but I don't know if it's set on earth) that won't let them leave...

As for the grey haired waif (Io is her name) ... Well... Japan! šŸ˜… Also she has no memories apparently like yourself.

More of the lore is given after you successfully beat the boss thanks to the new friend you get.

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy How hard is the boss? Does it require leveling up and utilization of the gifts and whatnot?
Also, I didnā€™t quite understand the mechanic of where you hold ā€œXā€ (the ā€œcross buttonā€ apparently šŸ™„) and use the claw.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

HallowMoonshadow

The X move @Th3solution allows you to drain some Ichor/Mp from The Lost by temporarily increasing the max amount you have til you rest at a Mistle

The boss actually has a pretty hearty chunk of hp. You'll have a partner by then to help you out though and he's quite useful.

I beat them first try (somehow) but I did get damaged a fair bit... I think I was lvl six or so? I'll retry it tomorrow evening from the beginning cus I mostly just bumbled through it yesterday

andreoni79

One year later my first run, I started a second playthrough of Prey. This time I've decided to use only human powers, lowering down the difficulty level so I can focus on collectibles and on the story. The first time I played it on Hard and with Survivor mode on: 39 hours of pure Arkane Studios!

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

HallowMoonshadow

Had another go of the Code Vein Demo.

Whilst the menu stuff is still a bit cumbersome It's finally started to gel with me and I got a code that I quite like along with some gifts.

I'd be a touch disappointed if there's only Broadswords, Greatswords, Axes & Hammers, Bardiches & Bayonets for weapons though (Dark Souls has spoiled me lol) as I only really like the Broadsword's moveset.

Though the multitude of Gifts/spells is pretty nice with the buffs and the likes.

I think the people who worked on this also worked on the God Eater series which is anime Monster Hunter or so I'm told...

That might explain the vaster menu and the more faster paced combat it has too.

Also just a small detail but there was one comment that the AI partner said that stuck with me of her asking if I remembered who she was after she revived me (As insinuated in Dark Souls and this you lose memories each time you die) which was a nice little touch.

They genuinely say useful information too like if you're running out of healing and the likes...

I'm definitely going to keep playing the demo especially with that update coming sometime soon!

Also had a go of Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet ae it turns out there's a free trial/demo for it

... It's ok I guess?

I thought it might not actually have the protag in from the series seeing as you make your own character but he's been shoved into the narrative like I don't know what... šŸ˜…

The combats a bit eh and there's waaaaaay too much gabbing on even for my tastes. Plus the Japan only voicework grates on my nerves as well!

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I completely forgot Code Vein was a thing. Might need to try that.

Of course they muscled Kirito into Fatal Bullet. Kirito is a Mary Sue who gets shoved into everything SAO related.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Well my impressions are on this and the previous page @Ralizah if you'd wanna take a look

I'd also have screenshots up in the screenshotty thread with that wonderful chaarcter creator but alas creating a twitter account just so I can easily upload screenshots from the PS4 to then show on here in that thread has gone pear shaped to say the least šŸ˜…

I saw the first season... the one actually in Sword Art Online on Netflix like two years ago for the first time (It was the... third anime I'd ever watched?)

I really wanted to like the premise (Even if .hack games had done the basic premise of death in a video game means death in real life earlier) but I didn't like Kirito in the slightest...

I wouldn't mind him being in Fatal Bullet as a NPC or something... But he (And the whole group even) has been shoved down my throat non stop and I can't get rid of them! šŸ˜‚

KALofKRYPTON

Had a rather nice blast on Jedi Starfighter last night as I haven't really done much with it since picking up the PS4 version.

Had a lovely time (right up until the blockade mission that always used to knacker me up!)
Totally need more straight up space shooters.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Which blockade mission, if you don't mind me asking?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I think it's in the later part of Act II - TF and Sabaoth Frigates, defense and gun orbital platforms - Jango shows up. I had it down-pat back in the old days, but properly forgot the sequence to assigning targets and taking them out myself that I'd found worked. As opposed to the 'shoot everything!' approach I went in with last night... it was late.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Ah, gotcha. That one can be tricky, yeah, especially when tired (don't worry, we've all been there). Are you playing on Padawan, Knight or Master? Because I've found that, if you're just playing for nostalgic fun, the "Shoot everything!" approach works on Padawan almost always.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger It's just on medium for now. I'll crack it! Again! šŸ˜‹

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic