Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 601 to 620 of 2,111

Tasuki

@Th3solution A Way Out is indeed a great co-op game but yeah it's not a platformer. Most of it is like a typical action game like GTA and such. There are QTE throughout the game as well as a few driving segaments and a few shooter parts as well.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Tjuz

@KratosMD @Kidfried @JohnnyShoulder @Th3solution Thanks for the suggestions everyone! We're probably going for Guacamelee as per @Kidfried's suggestion. It's on sale as well, so that made it an easy choice. I'll definitely note down all the other suggested games as well for in the future, as I'm sure we're gonna need more games after this. Thanks again!

Tjuz

KALofKRYPTON

@Tjuz I played the Unravel Two trial with my daughter at the weekend. It looks lovely, the platforming is swift and light and flows very well. Co-op interaction is fun and straightforward and there's a human story that appears to play out in the background. I didn't play the first game so I don't know if that's some sort of continuation. It's not the most involving or taxing game going, but it was nice. If it hadn't been £16, I'd probably have paid for the rest of the game.

More stuff we've played together include stuff mentioned before like Rayman Legends, which is great - and Temple of Osiris, which is also great and probably the one requiring the most actual cooperation. One or two of the puzzles are genuinely much harder with more players.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Tjuz

@KALofKRYPTON I wasn't aware there was a demo for Unravel Two available! I suppose we could try that out to get a feel for it and see if we want to continue. Definitely a steep price point though, like you said, so I might just wait for it to go on sale and we can check it out then. You're one of many to suggest Temple of Osiris, so I suppose I'll have to give that a closer look as well. Thanks!

Tjuz

KALofKRYPTON

@Tjuz Yeah - it's big one too. I we did enjoy it quite a lot, and the Yarnies are great little characters. Definitely something I'd be happy to pick up sub £10.

ToO is good fun. Also you have the benefit of it being scale-able to 4 players; the puzzles change to suit the player count.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@Tjuz I'll be the filthy, corporately-bribed casual who mentions them, then... LEGO games are all playable in drop-in / drop-out co-op, and the modern ones have a beautiful dynamic splitscreen which merges when your characters stand close to one another, then divides and tracks you as you walk to separate ends of the environment. Means you're rarely left twiddling your analogue sticks whilst the other player finishes a task.

Gameplay is insanely simple, but if you find one based on a franchise you love, there are enough laughs and plenty of fan-service to get you through. Plus they're an OCD collectathon dream.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@Tjuz Guacamelee is excellent! Have fun.

@RogerRoger Only Lego game I've played is the first Batman one, but I thought it was a nice, fun game! Do you know how the games have advanced since then?

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@mookysam I only really play the Batman and Star Wars ones, so I check in with them every two-ish years and am getting LEGO DC Super-Villains next week (the last one I played was LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens back in early 2016). For me, that's about as many as I can handle without them feeling like identikit chores, because the core gameplay has (thusfar) remained the same; run around, break things, build new things from the debris, rinse, repeat.

LEGO Batman 2 was the first to introduce original storylines with full voice acting, and they're always the best; ones based on films have tended to be a little by-the-numbers, but they're all packed with the same sense of goofball humour and move things along at the pace of a Saturday morning cartoon. Each game tends to try and introduce a new gameplay gimmick to make it feel unique; some have been better than others, and it's ultimately their charm and your love for the franchise they're spoofing that does all the heavy lifting. They take a good 20-30 hours to platinum.

Highlights thusfar have been the aforementioned LEGO Batman 2 (which was superb) and LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (which covered the first two seasons and could therefore bounce from episode to episode to keep things fresh) but on PS4, I'd say your best bet is, depending on your super-preference, either LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham or LEGO Marvel Super-Heroes (played at a friend's house and was impressed with the game, even if I didn't get any of the jokes). I'm quite excited for the new one!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@mookysam I'll stick my oar in and vouch for Lego Batman 3. I'm really not all that fond of the Lego games - but from a DC fan boy point of view, it was just packed with so much attention to detail and love for a lot of characters that I went so far as to get the plat for it.

NecuVise

@Tjuz unravel 2 was on sale for like 12$ two weekends ago IIRC.

NecuVise

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I love it when there's walking proof of my ramblings. Thanks!

Making It So Since 1987

Tjuz

@RogerRoger I'm actually playing through the LEGO Harry Potter Collection with my brother currently. We've been at it for a while and are still only in year 5, but it's enjoyable enough! Not sure there'd be another LEGO licensed game I'm interested in, though. I did play and enjoy some LEGO Lord of the Rings years ago, but I don't think I ever finished that. LEGO Rock Band was my jam on the DS, although that was nothing like the others obviously. Tried a few others here and there but none of them really stuck.

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@Tjuz Fair enough! None of the three you mention would interest me, either, so it's definitely dependent on you caring about the franchise being represented. Just thought I'd mention them!

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON Thanks both. I think I will get Lego Batman 3 at some point. It looks like a fun little game to break things up a bit.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Tjuz

I've got another request for recommendations! This time not for co-op, but for myself. I decided to pull the trigger and subscribe to PS Now a couple of days ago. I already have downloaded most of the PS4 games that interest me, but there's obviously a huge back catalogue of PS3 games to stream on there. I'm looking for the ones I should give a shot. There's obviously the flagship franchises like God of War, Ratchet & Clank etc. on there, but what are some of the more obscurer ones to look out for too? If there's PS4 remasters available for a game, I'd prefer to play that version since they're usually the definitive version of the games. Stuff like BioShock and the Arkham games are therefore games I'd prefer to save for when I get the remastered PS4 collections for those.

I also made a (hopefully mostly) comprehensive list of games I've completed in the past, so if you would care to take a look at that maybe you'll be able to get a taste of the kind of games I like and might enjoy. There's a link to that here. I'm open to trying new things though, unless they're horror games. Warning, I'm definitely not as expansive with my completed games collection as I'm sure most of you are!

I did try Red Dead Redemption on PS Now, although that didn't run very well. I wasn't sure if it was my internet or PS Now at first, so I checked out Dishonored on PS Now as well (since I've already completed that) and that ran perfectly fine. I do know RDR already had problems on PS3 compared to it's XB360 counterpart though, so would getting it on PS3 natively help at all or is that just the PlayStation experience for RDR?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help! A bit of an overwhelming amount of games to choose from, haha.

Tjuz

Th3solution

@Tjuz Red Dead Redemption ran fine on my PS3.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Jaz007

@Tjuz Let's see, I'd give the first AC a shot. It's old, but I actually might think it's better than the other pre-unity games I've played (2 and Brotherhood.) The story easily outclasses Ezio's in my opinion and the combat is honestly more fun and responsive. The focused story is the main thing though, because it's really good and well thought out. It had much more artistic depth than Ezio's.
If you like James Bond, give 007 Bloodstone a shot.
You must get the Sly Cooper Trilogy. I'd wager 2&3 are still the best platforming games ever made.
inFamous 1&2 are excellent and have an amazing story.

Jaz007

Th3solution

@Tjuz Outside of Red Dead Redemption, nearly all my favorite PS3 games have been remastered and released on PS4: TLOU, UC1-3, Tomb Raider, Dragons Dogma, Skyrim, Bioshock 1&3, Batman Arkham City/Asylum, Assassins Creed 2/Ezio collection.

The few that haven’t been released on PS4 are: Mass Effect 2/3, MGS4, KOA Reckoning, and Borderlands.

So when I look at each in further detail —
Mass Effect trilogy - these games absolutely need a PS4 release. And they are not on PS Now. Besides, it looks like you played them on PC already
Metal Gear Solid 4 - unfortunately, not on PS Now. Fantastic game though and a must play. Also needs a PS4 release, but not gonna happen. Stupid Konami.
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Not on PS Now either! (seeing a pattern here?) Also this needs a PS4 remaster. THQ Nordic just bought the rights so maybe we’ll see something done with this. Yeah, right. Who am I kidding... It’s THQ Nordic. 🙄

And so the one and only game from my PS3 favorites (besides RDR) that I can think of that meets your criteria of being available on PS Now and also not having a PS4 version too is...
Borderlands.
And honestly, BL2 is a better game and can be played on PS4 (And Vita!) But the first Borderlands is worth a look. I don’t even like FPS, and I quite enjoyed BL1/2 for their great art style, fun open world, smooth gameplay, humor, and myriads of guns to loot. Very good in co-op, although I’m not sure if PS Now supports co-op.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic