Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,601 to 1,620 of 2,111

Thrillho

@Kidfried @Ralizah Thanks for the further comments. It sounds like it's going to be another one going into the backlog then!

Ralizah wrote:

you say it looks "a bit too JRPG" for you, which makes me think you're reacting negatively to genre mechanics, the anime stylings, or both, and, in either case, that sounds like you're fundamentally unwilling to open yourself to this type of experience.

Ouch

Thrillho

Ralizah

@Thrillho If that sounded judgey, that wasn't the intention.

Anyway, another thing regarding the length, since it sounds like you bought it. While it's an incredibly long game, it's also a very... segmented one. Both in terms of gameplay (going back and forth between story sections, life sim sections, and dungeon sections) and in terms of overall structure. The game isn't chapter based, but it FEELS like it is, so it's probably easy enough to squeeze in some smaller games without feeling like you're interrupting the flow of the plot.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@Ralizah Def agree on that last part. I've been playing it in between a busy period, with Christmas and all, but also while playing other games, but it never feels like I'm doing it wrong or anything.

Kidfried

tangi_atori

Out of these games which would you recommend?

1) The Witcher
2) Assassins Creed Odyssey
3) Horizon Zero Dawn
4) Skyrim
5) Far Cry

tangi_atori

colonelkilgore

@tangi_atori

For me Horizon: Zero Dawn, the archery combat is just beautifully done, I find the combat/action gameplay in the other games that you have mentioned mediocre to poor. The other games are still great as overall packages though with The Witcher 3 in particular having an unbelievably deep and amazing game-world as well ‘the best side-quests in gaming’ tm.

If you’re into action-playability H:ZD, if you’re into a great multi-layered narrative The Witcher 3... if you fancy a mixture of both but with a pinch of naval combat AC: Odyssey. All three are great though.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Blooper987

What are some good PS4 games I can get for under $30 on Amazon? I’m thinking of kingdom hearts: the story so far, but I’m wondering if there’s anything else I might want.

colonelkilgore

@Blooper987

Kingdom of Amalur: Rereckoning and Remnant from the Ashes were both around £20 the last time I checked... both are meant to be hidden(ish) gems. I’ve bought them both but don’t know when I’m gonna be able to fit them in.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

Damn it @Arugula, I think you’ve done just enough with that explanation that I now have to add yet another game (which I imagine is also a major time-sink) to my already gargantuan backlog. I hope you’re proud of yourself! 😜

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@Arugula

Will do, I love to give credit where I believe it is due. You have yourself a Merry Christmas.

**** DLC!

Black_Swordsman

Wanting to buy either Cuphead or Super Meat Boy, which game is more accessible? which is the better game?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

colonelkilgore

@Arugula

Just watched a few reviews of KC: D after your suggestion and I’m glad you brought it up as it does look to be something that I would really enjoy. Just ordered the Royal Edition, so I just need to find myself an extra 150 hours for a platinum play through and I’ll be golden... oh and probably another 100 hours or so for the Danganronpa trilogy which I also ordered off of the back of joining this forum 🖖

**** DLC!

crimsontadpoles

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I'd say Cuphead is the better game. The old fashioned cartoony visuals are wonderful to look at, and it's very fun to play. Each boss will be tricky at first, but they're usually not quite so bad once you're used to their movement patterns.

In terms of accessibility, there is an easier mode for the boss fights. However, it's restrictive in that you can't battle the final bosses unless all the previous bosses have been defeated on the standard difficulty.

It's been years since I've played Super Meat Boy, but I remember it being quite fun. Can't remember if that had difficulty options or not, but I think the regular difficulty is tougher overall on SMB then Cuphead.

Black_Swordsman

@crimsontadpoles Ok thanks Crim, I didn't realise that Cuphead had difficulty options for the bosses, so that helps a lot.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

bunky

i would recommend you to buy the last of us

bunky

Thrillho

@WaveWitch I did say not to expect a smooth performance! That said, I'm someone who doesn't really notice frame rate differences that much unless they're truly terrible.

It's a shame so many people ignore the second game though as I think it's still pretty good and quite a neat idea to have you play as a Big Daddy. And have you played the Burial at Sea DLC before as it's almost worth getting the remaster just for that!

Thrillho

tangi_atori

Would anyone recommend Assassins Creed Odyssey? It seems the reviews say there is lots of wondering around to complete quests and kinda annoying.

tangi_atori

HallowMoonshadow

Has anyone played Monster Sanctuary yet on PS4... The Metroidvania/Monster battling rpg that came out a few weeks ago?

I'm quite interested in it and just wondered if anyone has any extended thoughts about it?

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

colonelkilgore

@tangi_atori

I really liked it, I absolutely adore Greek myth though so it (particularly the DLC) played into my wheel house. I really liked the map and geography too, it’s a huge game-world with loads of naval adventure and battle. I also felt the combat was a little tweaked (& therefore better imho) than origins.

**** DLC!

Barryburton97

@tangi_atori it's a very well made game, but i ultimately found it too big and repetitive, and despite at least 5 attempts to get properly into, I've abandoned it after 25 hours. The landscapes and towns look great, but you'll start finding them very samey, very quickly. The story, at least in the first ~20 hours is totally forgettable. The combat is pretty unrewarding, the enemies are either very easy or sword-sponges (depending on difficulty setting and level). Traversal feels really good, and there is a lot to discover and loot, if that's of interest.

I think it helps a lot if you are interested in Greek history and myths.

Edited on by Barryburton97

Barryburton97

tangi_atori

Thanks Barry you have reaffirmed my concern for AC Odyssey and why it gets such a low score on Metacritic. I love Greek Mythology and it seemed so cool. Would anyone recommend anything like that, open world. Im thinking of Ghost of Tsushima.

tangi_atori

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic