Forums

Topic: PlayStation Plus | OT |

Posts 221 to 240 of 751

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Oh yeah, that’s right - The Uncharted Collection was a separate thing. And to clarify, I’m perfectly happy with the several Naughty Dog offerings the last few months. Although I’ve played all the Uncharteds and TLoU, I think they are worthy of getting into everyone’s library just because of their essential nature to the whole PlayStation ecosystem. I’ll probably replay the all at some point.
It’s just interesting how there has been a couple months of late where the same genre of games were given in close succession. Good to see a sports game this month and a short narrative FMV. I didn’t mind the infamous “simulation month” (so much, Cities: Skylines and Farming Sun) but we’d also got The Sims4 a couple month ago.

Overall they’ve done well with trying to vary the games, but it’s been a while since a highly rated indie has been put out. I guess there’s been a few recent indie ‘swing-and-a-miss efforts‘ like Rogue Aces, Horizon Chase Turbo, and Goat Simulator which have tried to get into that space, but I’m thinking of gems from the early days like Rocket League, Gone Home, The Unfinished Swan, and Resogun, to name a few from years back.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Thrillho Yeah, we had a bunch of bigger names too at the end of PS3 era. I’m surprised we haven’t seen Gravity Rush 2, Gran Turismo Sport, or Knack 2 — those games can’t be making Sony any money anymore. Might as well give them out for goodwill. But it does seem like Sony has had to go to the first party well more often this generation. Last gen we’d still get big AAA third party games when they were still topical like Tomb Raider, Batman Arkham City, and BioShock Infinite. Seems like those games were barely a year or two old when they were offered last gen.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I don't quite get the complaint with having titles from the same genre. Sure it would be nice, but no one is forcing anyone to play those games right after each other. Just play one a game or two in between or something. And if you don't like games from that genre, well sorry that is just one of those things. People can always give those games a try, and may end up, heaven forbid actually enjoying them.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Oh definitely — and mine is not a “complaint” by any stretch. In fact I don’t get the “complaining” in general to something like this. Like I said “I find it interesting that...” they chose to have redundancy of genres. Just seems a boardroom of smart executives would have looked at the options a little differently, but obviously we’re not privy to how they make these decisions. No complaining here. And like I said to the original poster, I agree with you that part of the benefit to PS Plus in my opinion is the opportunity to expose yourself to games and genres you wouldn’t otherwise play. Thus my original statement that I’m pretty darn excited about NBA2K20.

That said, I think the community does have the right to be “disappointed” by the choices. To complain? Not really. But certainly one can be disappointed if 3-4 months pass by and there’s not a single offering that a person doesn’t already own or just can’t muster enough interest to try. It’s the same “disappointment” that I experience when I go to watch something on Netflix only to find that they pulled the movie a couple months before unbeknownst to me and I lost my opportunity to watch it for free on their platform. If I really want to watch the movie than I can rent it. It’s not like Netflix now has destroyed all access to the movie for me. 😂 So I have no right to complain there too. There is entirely too much complaining and entitlement in society now on all fronts. But that’s another subject entirely... 😜
I save my complaining for important things. Like when my lettuce is too soggy on my burger. There is simply no excuse for that.😄

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Oh was not implying you were complaining, it was more generally really. Of course it is natural to feel disappointed when the free games are ones you own already own or not your thang. But some comments are like they have just been told they have covid 19 or something.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Lol, oh yeah. I’m with you.

“Junior, we have bad news. You have COVID-19.”
“Ah man, that sucks.” 😕
“Oh and also, by the way — the PS Plus games for the month were just announced and you already own both of them.”
“...Noooooooo!!!!” 😩

ApostateMage

My favourite Indi Jones movie right there.

ApostateMage

themcnoisy

I love terrible games, so when psplus regressed from cross play games to the paltry and current 2 PS4 games a few years ago it was a big hit in the knackers. Fortunately covid-19 hit and we got a ton of extra free games. Boom.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Th3solution

Anyone played Maneater? The game had a positive buzz when it released but I watched a trailer and it didn’t really look impressive to me. I didn’t realize how campy the game was. I thought it was going to be a thriller JAWS style simulator, but it looks like a goofy janky mess. I wonder how the PS5 version looks and plays because the gameplay from the PS4 looked like it was a PS3 game.

MaulTsir

@Th3solution I'm with you I didn't really like the look of it when it was released and after watching some game play it doesn't seem to do anything for me but seen as its on ps plus I'll give it ago especially after the reviews being good and it has a bit of a cult following. I don't think I'd ever go out and pay for it as a stand alone game but seen as it's available on the ps5 the only thing I'm loosing is time and a bit of money on the electricity bill!!

I am happy about the other 2 games though never played the tomb raiders and now I have all 3 in my library and I was always curious about Greedfall but never fancied paying £30-£40 for it

MaulTsir

Th3solution

@MaulTsir I’m a big fan of the Tomb Raider series. Hopefully you enjoy them. I feel the same about way as you about Greedfall - I’m curious and it looks pretty decent from reviews and videos I watched. My backlog is large though so I’m not sure when or if I’ll get around to it. If you happen to play it or Maneater be sure to drop some impressions on the forums because I am curious.

Edited on by Th3solution

MaulTsir

@Th3solution I loved the older Tomb Raiders so I'm looking forward to playing them, they just slipped by me with all the games available at the time and I know what you mean about backlog mine just seems grow alot faster than I can finish games, the first 20+ games I'll play on the ps5 will be ps4 games from my backlog lol I will definitely let you know if I try maneater

MaulTsir

Th3solution

@MaulTsir Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I haven’t been able to get my hands on a PS5 yet. Having one certainly makes the backlog even bigger. There are 3-4 titles on the PS Plus Collection that will instantly join my PS4 backlog once I have access to one (Days Gone, Monster Hunter World, RE7, Crash Bandicoot...) in addition to the PS5 games from the Plus service that I’ve been stockpiling (the aforementioned Maneater, also Bugsnax, and the free Astro’s Playroom) Maybe it’s best that I don’t get a PS5 yet, but it just looks so swanky!

Edit: Btw, the reboot TR series is quite different from the classic games, but the overall mood and character is intact. You’ll likely enjoy them immensely! Playing them in order is probably the best approach, although each is pretty self contained. Shadow is probably my favorite; it or the first one. Rise of the TR is great but has more emphasis on combat and I enjoy the tomb raiding and exploration more.

Edited on by Th3solution

phil_j

@Th3solution I played 10 minutes of Maneater last night, and thought it was pretty mediocre. I don't have time to play all the great games on my backlog, so doubt I'll ever get round to playing any more of it.

phil_j

ralphdibny

I wasn't planning to renew my sub in May so I thought I'd finally do something last night that probably sounds very boring but was actually quite relaxing...

I made a spreadsheet of all the PS Plus games I've claimed since I first subbed, noting what console(s) they are on and then noting whether I have played them in part or in full or if I own them on another console.

Untitled
Untitled

The printout shows all the games - marked in green are ones I have played some of or all of and/or that I own on other consoles. Marked in orange are games that I've played and really liked so I would like to try and buy them on another console or when my sub runs out and I'm able to buy them.

There's a lot of white on there though. I'm not sure how feasible they will be to get through by May. However, I won't be playing all the games fully - I at least need to give them a try and I'll put them down if they don't click in the first few hours.

I'm probably going to start with the more well known titles that I've wanted to play for a while anyway, Heavy Rain, Yakuza Kiwami etc. Unfortunately some titles require me to play the first game(s) such as Borderlands 2, Rayman 3 etc, which I do own on Xbox/PS3. Doubt I'll bother with shadow of War unless Mordor gets discounted heavily, shadow of war costs like a fiver new on disc so...

To be honest though, if I don't make it very far and another £30 deal comes up, I might renew Plus for another year. Or skip a month until they put it on sale. I skipped a month last year as my renewal just happened to fall on the Uncharted 4 month which I wanted to buy physically anyway.

I don't know why I like making spreadsheets! I am a bit of a novice at Excel so when something clicks and a laborious task becomes automated or just quicker in general, it feels really rewarding. I'm sure any data processors out there will think I am completely mad but considering I do a really physical and relentlessly tiring job normally, I'd really love to get an office job punching numbers into a spreadsheet!

Oh and one more thing I noted is that a Vita game called Space Hulk is no longer available to download on the PS Store for some reason. I guess somewhat luckily, I already had the installation file downloaded on to my PS3 so it was the only Vita game I transferred from there. Seems to be a one time deal though as it deleted the installer off my PS3 after I transferred it...

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Th3solution

@ralphdibny Dude, this is brilliant! 😄
Funny that we were talking about Excel spreadsheets and color coding the other day. If I could do this then I would; it’s so much more well-organized than my lists.
Actually, I would like some customizability of the digital library on the actual PlayStation consoles so it could be organized into categories for ease of reference

ralphdibny

@Th3solution haha cheers! I must of missed that convo lol. Honestly I like a mix of rough and polished, you remember my completed games list that was handwritten? I'm nearly half way through page 2 of that and it's still handwritten 😅. I'll post a pic in the completed games list when it's full up!

This PS Plus list just needed some cross referencing and sort functions so I had to do it on the computer. I used to have one that I kept updated on Excel mobile on my old phone but I stopped bothering with it not long after they ditched the vita/PS3 games. It wasn't as fully formed as this list though and I couldn't find the file in time to use as a reference so I started from scratch!

It serves my purpose but it could be helpful for other people if I added a column for the month and year the games were added so you can sort it by release date and go back as far as you subbed. Obviously I'd have to trawl through the PushSquare articles for reference but I'd be happy to do it if somebody wants to use this list as well.

Oh yeah and totally agree about the sorting! The mixed PS3/Vita download lists are a nightmare. For some reason I decided to download all the free DLC for Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us just before the multiplayer servers went offline. Lot of good that was seeing as it's all multiplayer DLC! It's just clogging up my download list! The PS3 store is super sluggish too, the PS Vita store is quite quick in comparison but is obviously no good for downloading PS3 games.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny I'm in awe of your spreadsheet skills, my friend. I'm allergic to Excel and use Word for my tracking tables but, as a result of such simplicity, they're nowhere near as comprehensive as yours. I suppose my only question is, how the heck are you gonna play all of those by May?! Do you think the list will make you renew your subscription, being able to visualise how much of your backlog you'll lose?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic