Forums

Topic: Playstation 4 Backloggery and most wanted!

Posts 361 to 380 of 672

Kidfried

PlayStation 4 backloggery. The final push:

• Vampyr
  • Judgment
  • Danganronpa V3
  • Dark Souls Remastered
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy

This is my list of games that I want to finish before the next gen starts. No clue if it's doable.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried The fast approaching new generation really puts things into perspective regarding my backlog. Are you getting a PS5 at launch? I haven’t decided.
If I decide to get a PS5 in the release window then I think I may have to be realistic about which games on my PS4 list are just never going to get played. Backwards compatibility helps, but smaller titles that I am curious to try on a whim are probably going to be left out in the cold. It’s really hard to know.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution Couldn't get a PS5 on launch day from any game store in my country, so ordered one from a French retailer. I don't know if I can trust the French to get me my order on time. But I do hope so.

I don't have a lot games in my backlog that I really want to finish before moving to the next gen completely, but that's about it. I still have a lot of PS4 games to buy and play, but I'll play those on my PS5 (I hope).

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Heres just a few of my PS4 ‘high priority’ games in backlog that I own but haven’t even started yet: God of War, FF7R, A Plague Tale, AC Odyssey, DS3, DOS2, Hitman 1...
And this doesn’t even count my high priority games started in PS4 and never got finished: P5, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Yakuza 0, GR2...
Then there plenty lower priority but still PS4 games I own that I’d like to play: TWD4, FFXV, Nioh, Beyond 2S, Valiant H...
Then PS4 games I don’t even own but want to play: TLoU2, LiS2, KR0, Control...

I think the ones I don’t own will have to wait until PS5. I need to check and see which games might get a PS5 upgrade and then push those further back down for later too.

Now that I look at it, maybe I won’t need a PS5 for a while 😅

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

Oh, hello there, topic I keep forgetting about. When was my las... July?!

Right, let's drag my records out of archive.

Previous Backlog:
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions NDS (think I finished it the same day!)
The Last Guardian (yep, and what a magical experience it was)
Final Fantasy VII (also yep; not exactly magical, but it has my respect)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (...and that makes for a clean sweep!)

Given how long it's been, I think anything less than total victory would've been shameful. I did cut it darn close, only finishing Vegas 2 at the beginning of this week, and FFVII did take me far, far longer than it should have done, if I'm honest.

I do have many excuses, though. I survived the shoddy PC version of James Bond 007: NightFire, as well as an entire Tomb Raider trilogy and a frankly embarrassing amount of Sonic games (which I won't list here, as I think comprehending the full list of them would make me question a lot of my life choices; I will highlight earning the platinum on Sonic Forces though, because I'm genuinely proud of that). I've also replayed Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Remastered this past week.

Current Backlog:
Syphon Filter
Batman: Arkham Origins
inFAMOUS 2 and Festival of Blood
Ultimate Spider-Man

I'm modifying my upcoming purchase list, as there are some games which have been delayed, and others which are also coming to PlayStation5 (at which point, I'm happy to wait to play it on the best possible technology available).

Since this is a PS4 topic, I'll keep it strictly to PS4 games which might tickle my fancy.

Upcoming Purchases:
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Kentucky Route Zero
Star Wars: Squadrons
Vanquish (remastered port)

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@Th3solution I'm going to help you out on this one. That backlog can't be too tough to narrow down. I'll use my ignorance and impulsiveness to help you out.

Play
God of War - nessecary for deciding if you want Ragnarok. Also just such an iconic game; you just want to have experienced this, whether you think it's the best or not
Hitman 1 - Play the training level and one time the Paris level. This'll take you an hour or maybe two. After that you'll know whether you want to continue or not. You can decide to just leave it at that, and join in again when 3 comes out, or finish it if you're really into it, or just skip the series entirely.
Valiant Hearts - It's a short palette cleanser. I remember you recommended Killer Angels to me, so you're obviously interested in war and history at least a bit. There is no big overarching story in this one, just short vignettes based on true events (last week I was reminded about a story I learned from this game, so that was cool). So you can just play a chapter every night, and leave the game be when you feel like you got what you wanted out of it.
LiS2 - Just play it. You'll probably love it.
P5 - I think you might want to finish this one, if you already made a bit of progress. This is going to be a lot less appealing once you have a PS5.

Maybe
FF7R - Skip for now and wait until the second part is close to releasing. Unless you never played FF7, then I am going to recommend playing it.
TWD4 - You remember the story from TWD up until TWD3? If so, then just go play this one. It'll give you closure. Otherwise... why even care? Heard this season wasn't the best of them anyway.
KR0 - Right now you're playing Danganronpa, which as a visual novel shares some similarities with KR0's gameplay. This game is my GOTY, but don't burn yourself out on reading texts. Just finish DR3, play a bit, and if by then you are still thinking of this game: buy it and play it immediately. If not, then I will probably remind you again in a year from now. No hurry.
A Plague Tale - Same boat as you. I bought it a year ago. Don't know what to do with it right now... Someone, send help.
GR2 - I love GR2, and it's been one of my favorite discoveries of this generation. But this game is long. I don't think you're getting your time's worth by picking it up again. Maybe if you're really interested in seeing the end (because the end is quite nice) play it. But otherwise just leave it and wait for GR3... if that is ever going to happen.
AC Odyssey - It's a beautiful game and probably will still be beautiful on PS5. Just play this one, because you already have it, and skip the Valhalla thing later on.
Witcher 3 - How far are you in? If you're in deep, you really should finish. If you're still at the start, just wait until PS5 and start a new one, on their PS5 upgrade. Just skipping this entirely, and instead going for Cyberpunk could be a great choice too.

Skip
DS3 - Just skip it. Yes, it's probably great, but there are enough Souls games right now. Don't care too much about missing out on one or two.
Yakuza 0 - You probably played enough of it to get the gist. You can always pick up Y7 if you want some more later. The fact that you didn't finish it already, means you probably got what you wanted out of it. Finishing the story isn't that essential.
Arkham Knight - You didn't finish that, a lot of time has passed since... so you probably got turned off by the batmobile stuff or some of the weird story stuff. Don't force yourself and SKIP.
Nioh - Skip. It's a poor man's [s]Splatoon[/s] Dark Souls. No one's ever going to tell you "YOU DIDN'T PLAY NIOH? THAT'S A LEGENDARY GENRE DEFINING GAME". No one.
FFXV - Skip. I thought about this one too, but it's supposed to be not as good as some other Final Fantasy games. I'd recommend you playing FF7R over this, because it'll get a sequel, and the original game is better. Also, this is part of the Plus collection for PS5 owners, so you'll be able to play it on PS5 for the next seven years or so. Drop it for now.
Beyond 2S - I know you loved Detroit. But this one isn't good at all.
TLoU2 - Skip for now and wait for the PS5 remaster or upgrade.
DOS2 - This was a hard one, but just looking at your backlog now I skimmed it down, that's still a lot to do. Let's be realistic, you're not going to finish this game in the next year, with all those big games on your backlog still to go. Let's just leave it then.
Control - You're going to want to buy this one for PS5 in some DLC-included edition I think. Skip for now.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

Some good advice there @Kidfried. I did a bit of a purge yesterday of games I'm realistically never going to play again, there is a reason I've not gone back to them. I will do another one when I get my PS5 and copy the games I want onto my external drive.

Recently I've tried to refrain from playing multiple games at the same as this is when you can get distracted, and also to stop playing games part way through and not go back to them for long periods.

It helps that I'm not buying games, apart from the new releases that I'm interested in. There really is no need with the games I already own along with stuff from PS Plus and NOW, there are more than enough games to keep me occupied.

Sure there are still a ton of games that I want to play, but I try not think about those too much and just concentrate on the ones I already have and am currently playing.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Tjuz

Alright... maybe I should try to get into this and see if I can do it. I have a terrible habit of... not playing games despite loving games. Maybe this'll give me the nudge I need! A goal to succeed in! I suppose I'll start with five games in my backlog as well, and we'll see how I go from there in a month or so.

Backlog

Beyond a Steel Sky
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Heaven's Vault
Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth
Metamorphosis

I hope and pray that I will finish even one of them in the coming month! Fingers crossed! At least I am also currently making my way through Divinity: Original Sin, so even if nothing else I might have finished that by next month. Who knows?

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Those are some god-tier hot takes. I'd struggle to disagree with any of them!

@JohnnyShoulder That's a healthy outlook. The grass is always greener on the other side but, if you can still enjoy a PSone game, nothing's ever gonna leave you behind.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Seeing as it's everyone comment on your backlog day today @Th3solution I'll chime in too sol

I'd say for you to skip Persona 5.

From what I remember when we talked about P5 you were kinda struggling with that. As you already know it's a a really LONG game and if you're starting it from the beginning seeing as you've left it for so long you'll be spending 100 plus hours on it.

Plus you weren't getting into Trails Of Cold Steel either that you were playing recently which does have a few similarties with the tone and the likes.

You could also spend that time on much a better game like Divinity Original Sin 2

Jokes aside (Well not really as I found P5 pretty naff comapred to 3 & 4) I would say put Divinity as a maybe as it IS a timesink and a half... But it is really good. Get on it when the stars allign and you have some proper time to dive in on it.

I'd also bump Dark Souls 3 up to a maybe too. It's shorter then most of the other rpgs you have listed in your backlog... But it IS a Souls game so... Yeah you could be at that for a while too 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Kidfried Epic, my friend, really sound advice there. Thanks! As I was indexing my backlog writing my last post I had several of the same thoughts that you verbalized so well there, so I think we’re in sync. But you did also offer some very good perspectives that I hadn’t considered. That really helps. And I know you’re coming from an unbiased position of genuine advice because I would have expected the “Witcher 3?! You’ve got to finish that right away! It’s the GOAT!” since I know it’s one of your favorites. But my thoughts were the same as you — I am only just at the first several hours (it’s been a while so I can’t even remember), maybe 6-8 hours into it. So waiting for the PS5 upgrade and just starting over is likely the better approach. Or Cyberpunk, as you say.

P5 is a little different story, because I think I’ve invested 40-50 hours into it before I lost interest, so starting over doesn’t really sound enticing, otherwise I would have snatched up Royal to start over with. I probably will try and revisit the base game, put in the next 40-50 hours to get closure on it. I did the same for P4G and the long break between halves didn’t tarnish the experience.

The other remarks all make good sense. I like how you put it that some of these I have already “got what I wanted out of it already” even though I didn’t technically finish the game. A couple of these games I might sell back and at least recoup a few bucks while I clean house on the backlog, because I few of these I have in disc format.

If I have time this weekend I might investigate the availability of PS5 pre-orders in my neck of the woods. If there are any businesses that will put me down on a wait list for the next phase of pre-orders then I’ll probably do it. If not, then it’s the gaming gods message to me that I don’t need one at launch and I’ll just continue to enjoy the immense number of potentially fabulous PS4 gaming experiences in my backlog.

But as soon as the masses come on here and say Demon’s Souls is the best game ever or Miles Morales changed their life, then I’ll probably stalk the internet like a madman for one. 😂

Ralizah

@Th3solution I mean, you could just play Miles Morales on PS4, too. No reason to wait or skip out on a cross-generation title that'll likely run fine on the previous gen device.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Oops.. simultaneous post there, Foxy. 😅 But yes, the only thing holding back on DOS2, P5, and ToCS are the epic length. I have to admit I keep these longer ones in mind if I have a sudden lay off from work or some strange situation where free time multiplies drastically.
I feel more invested in P5 due to the amount of time already invested and my allegiance to the series. And ToCS has the benefit of being on my Vita, which isn’t getting any more new games so it’ll be an ever-present option going forward because nothing will supplant my Vita unless I get a Switch for some reason.

Thanks a bunch!

HallowMoonshadow

No worries @Th3solution!

I thought you were closer to twenty hours for some reason but with P5 clocking up 50 or so I can see why you'd wanna see it through to the end if you're halfway there.

Since I went through Divinity 2 back over Dec-Feb Larian added in a number of optional mods (That do unfortunately disable trophies) that really do change things up a fair bit and I think they even added an entirely new questline through the game.

Not sure if they'all add anything else though as they're presumably all focused on Baldur's Gate 3... But still so you'll have even more stuff to do and choose from then I did when you eventually get round to it! 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I had an email from a UK retailer this that wave 2 of orders for PS5 will start soon. I assume it will be the same over your neck of the woods.

@RogerRoger They are not a set of rules that I rigorously stick to and I do allow a bit of flexibility if needed. When I look through the sales on psn though, I see a game that I might fancy then look further down and there are a few titles which I've already purchased and yet to start, which most of the time will scratch a similar itch.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder That’s good to know. I actually assume that there will be plenty of PS5’s. Maybe not necessarily on launch day, but within the first couple months, and that does fine for me. Even if I have to wait to January after the Christmas rush.

@Ralizah Good point. The fact that MM and Horizon are cross generational, I’ll at least have the option. More likely though I’ll prefer up-to-date tech if it exists for the game in question. I assume the amount of difference between generational versions will differ from one title to the next.

Kidfried

@Th3solution Having PS4 games left to play on your PS4, I can't really see a reason to play PS5 games on it. Obviously these open world games are going to look way better on the 5. Being able to see robot dinosaurs in the far distance in Horizon thanks to the SSD is something I'm really looking forward to.

Kidfried

Kidfried

Also, just making some quick hot takes is fun, hehe. Cleaning up a backlog is way better than cleaning my living room.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Hopefully it won't be as frustrating as it was for some of us. But I don't have much hope on it being any different!

Kidfried
  • Vampyr
  • ~Judgment~
  • ~Danganronpa V3~
  • Dark Souls Remastered
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy

I'm doing pretty good so far. Finished two already and I'm making progress in Vampyr. I might play Lost Legacy on the PS5, so I might skip that one and Dark Souls I'm pretty burned out on, so might not be a great idea to force that too much.

If I manage to finish Vampyr still then I'd be pretty happy.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic