Forums

Topic: Horizon: Zero: Dawn

Posts 701 to 720 of 787

RogerRoger

@Kidfried The real London is a little more, er... let's be generous and call it "haphazard".

I think you're on to something there. Uncharted, Tomb Raider and the like is all about executing a series of separate actions (approach ledge, press climb, point in next direction, press jump, point in next direction, press jump and grab, point in next direction, etc.) that has evolved from the historical necessity to control platformers in such a way. Horizon (and Assassin's Creed, as you say) feels a little more fluid, with more steps and animations performed automatically between your input commands.

Since I'm used to playing games with more direct control over each step (the examples mentioned above, whereas I don't play Assassin's Creed, nor Prince of Persia) that fluidity translated to a sketchy, fiddly experience for me. Aloy probably isn't either of those things, but my personal gaming experience (or lack thereof) played a role, because I expected her to move like Nate.

But as I said, that's probably a good thing. Her movement suited the combat best, and that's the core of Horizon, not the platforming. It just took me a while to nail.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger @Kidfried @Ralizah I found the climbing sections of HZD to be decent enough, but the frustrating part is definitely the “pixel hunting.” (thanks for the good descriptive term there 😄) I remember more than once realizing where I needed to go but searched for an hour not knowing where the ledge or handhold was on the mountain to be able to get there. Running around to the other side of the mountain, only to find no pathway there either. At least once I recall just quitting in frustration and then when I resumed the game the next day, there it was plain as day — one of those yellow rope or handholds nailed into the face of the cliff. Two minutes later I was up on the peak where I needed to be. Grrr. Hopefully the sequel fixes this design issue. It really only happened a couple times to me before I became accustomed to noticing those handholds, but still. Nevertheless I thought once you get going up the prescribed path, the climbing was actually pretty easy and hard to mess up. Aloy typically jumps and scales nimbly and automatically as long as you push the analog stick in the right direction and it’s pretty hard to flub up and fall.
Assassins Creed is a little more fiddly with the input that is required to get climbing quickly. It’s been a while since my last AC game but I recall it being more cumbersome. It’s complicated by the fact that you’re usually climbing buildings (or trees as the case may be in AC3) frantically because you’re usually chasing someone, being chased, hunting, or tailing a target in a timed stealth mission. The urgency of the action really magnifies the poor accuracy or weird input mechanics. Early in my AC experience I felt “all thumbs.”

As it relates to the HZD issue of finding the prescribed way up the cliff — I really appreciated the difficulty options provided in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, whereby in the game’s settings you are able to choose the difficulty of seeing the climbable ledges; on the easiest difficulty, the ledges and handholds of the required climbing path are not-so-subtly marked with while paint. Yet, if a person wants a more immersive experience aesthetically, then you can have the highest difficulty where they are not marked and you can engage in “pixel hunting” if you find that enjoyable. I wish more games did this. (Incidentally in SotTR the customization is really great of being able to specify separate difficulty for the platforming/exploring, the puzzles, and the combat. If you want easy exploration with marked ledges but yet want more challenging combat, you can specify that. I know of no other games that have this innovation. Hopefully it catches on)

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

So, I got the platinum trophy for this game.

When I return to it, all I'll need to do is the DLC content (and the Ultra Hard NG+ playthrough if I hate myself).

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Congratulations!

Yeah, I'm not brave enough for Ultra Hard. Having played all of the Uncharted games on Crushing, I think I'm done with challenge-based gaming for, like... ever.

Hope you enjoy the DLC when you get back to it!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger me too

what's wrong with just playing a game at the level your comfortable with?

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Nothing at all. Took me a long time to realise that!

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@FullbringIchigo Totally agree with this. I have no issues in nudging the difficulty in either direction if I don't feel it is right.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

starhops

@Ralizah I’m on NG+ UH and I will say one thing: this mode turns this game basically into a SoulsBorne-esq game. It’s a truly crazy difficult/strategy driven game, where you have to always check your environment, watch for adds, and invent new strategies on all the tougher machines. It really escalates the intensity. I started the DLC in this mode and it was only after that I heard once you start, you can’t go back to an easier setting. So, now I’m trying to complete TFW and it’s very difficult. I haven’t gone back to it in quite a few months. You burn through resources quite a bit, so that becomes a new “task” that is continuous. I really like the challenge of it, because the combat in this game is one of the attributes that sets it apart from most other games in this genre.

Go get ‘em! I will get back into it one day... but those crazy Fireclaws!

starhops

PSN: starhops

Kidfried

@starhops Yeah, I didnt recognize the game when I started playing Ultra Hard. Sadly, I had to give up on it, as progressing through this game took so much effort, that I rather want to put in playing different games. Maybe it was just too difficult for me, I dont know.

It's a great mode, no doubt about it.

Kidfried

Ralizah

@starhops @Kidfried That actually sounds pretty great, if the damage scaling isn't too absurd. I really like the combat in Soulsborne games. I just don't like the... everything else.

I think I'll play the DLC in normal mode, though. I'd like to actually appreciate the story and environments as opposed to getting killed every few minutes. Besides, I hear the new enemies are scary enough to begin with.

starhops

@Ralizah I think you’ll like the Ultra Hard mode then for at least you can respawn and save anywhere you want and try again not like the Soulsborne games. Once you finish the DLC, give NG+ UH a try. The scaling is nice, but I wish they would open up inventory totals to help with resources. To me, it felt more realistic when walking by a group of machines that they would actually see you if you can see them, sort-of-thing. And I had to completely change most my combat strategies for the larger machines—and I loved that part of it. This big beasties are intense and it’s nice the combat can match it on NG+ UH.
Good luck and keep us posted!

starhops

PSN: starhops

BowTiesAreCool

What's the most difficult trophy in this game? Not the grindiest, but the most difficult?

BowTiesAreCool

BowTiesAreCool

@LN78 CHeers! Had the ultimate edition for a year and put two/three hours into it but not gone back to it since. Definitely gonna see if I can grab the platinum for this one!

BowTiesAreCool

filocullen

Hello, I’v noticed that using the shadow ropecaster, if I aim and miss, it consumes an ammo, while when using the basic and the Carja ropecaster, if I shoot to the sky or anywhere without a target, I don’t wast any ammo. Why is that, did I miss something?

filocullen

RogerRoger

@filocullen Must be a minor glitch or oversight, if it isn't because the Shadow Ropecaster is a slightly higher grade weapon than the Carja Ropecaster. It's been a while since I played, so apologies if this isn't helpful!

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@Arugula I tried going back to it but I just couldn’t get back into the combat seeing as it is end game and it had been a year or so since I completed it. I think I gave up not even getting past the first two enemies..

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Arugula You're like me; I really enjoyed The Frozen Wilds as basically a miniature version of the main campaign, with a tighter focus that prevented me from getting that familiar mid-story attention-wandering I so often get with large, open world games. It's gorgeous, well-paced and offers some insight into wider events. I'm always surprised that more people didn't like it but hey, each to their own.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

I'll be treating The Frozen Wilds like its own sort of game. I'm looking forward to it. When I get the desire to play HZD again, I'll have this brand new (albeit far shorter) campaign to dig into.

I'll play on Normal like with the main campaign, and save my Ultra-Hard NG+ playthrough for some point in the future when I have a hankering for pain.

Edited on by Ralizah

FullbringIchigo

so i FINALLY got round to getting Zero Dawn Complete Edition and i have a few questions

first off when i put in the code for the themes and digital art book DLC it also downloaded, The Frozen Wilds and a load of other DLC (all the costumes and weapons) BUT apparently those are for the original version of the game which i do not own, now i have not been able to find any of the outfits or weapons in the complete edition either, which i assume is a different game as it has a different icon and install name so just what is going on? is all the DLC already in the complete edition? and if so why can't i access any of it? and why did it download the DLC for the standard edition when i don't own the standard edition and the DLC codse was only meant to be for the Theme and Art Book?

i really have no idea what's going on so any help would be appreciated

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I can't be certain, but I think the DLC outfits and weapons are simply made available to buy and craft from the various vendors scattered about the various towns and villages. They won't simply appear in Aloy's inventory free of charge; you've got to track them down.

As for The Frozen Wilds, I think that area of the map won't unlock until you reach a certain part of the story. I would assume that the Complete Edition would have it included by default, but then I'm not sure why you've been given access to download it separately. Look at your map screen and if you've got a large white area in the upper-right, to the north-east, then you've got The Frozen Wilds installed and ready to go. You'll likely get a prompt to go explore there and trigger the DLC once you've reached a certain level / point in the story.

Making It So Since 1987

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.