Forums

Topic: Horizon: Zero: Dawn

Posts 741 to 760 of 787

Gremio108

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I'm a master at messing around. I will get there eventually, promise.

@Ralizah Yeah I could live without the bandit camps. I quite like chucking rocks around and messing with their heads though

@Octane A room full of audio files is usually my cue to go and get a brew and/or a snack!

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

BowTiesAreCool

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I've never seen Aloy in the same room as Zac Effron. They have the same exact face.

BowTiesAreCool

Gremio108

@Flaming_Kaiser Don't get me wrong, I do listen to them! I just go and get a cup of coffee because I know I won't be moving Aloy around much for a few minutes

Flaming_Kaiser

@Gremio108 Ah ok i really dislike collectables but these add too the story its fun too get them. 😃

Flaming_Kaiser

Gremio108

Did anyone else find The Frozen Wilds quite tricky? These 'Daemonic' versions of the machines are kicking my backside quite a bit. Thank God I've got this shield-weaver armour, or I might have to actually use some medicine.

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 What difficulty are you playing on, if you don't mind me asking?

Even on Easy, I did notice a slight increase in aggression from the first machine the DLC throws at you, in that frozen canyon halfway up the mountain.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@Gremio108 Yeah, the DLC is tricky. Those polar bear machines are definitely harder than a Thunderjaw. But you'll get the hang of it. I still think that preparation is key. I used to set dozens of traps and then lure the enemy around the battlefield into the traps I set beforehand.

Octane

Ralizah

I still find those robots that burrow under the ground to be way harder than anything in the DLC thus far. The daemonic frostclaws are a bit aggressive, but an upgraded Forgefire will melt them like butter.

Oh, btw, if anyone is struggling to find enough blaze for the Forgefire, I recommend using harvest arrows on grazers. The blast wire challenge in the first hunting grounds is a great way to farm a ton of blaze containers quickly.

Just equip sneaky-sneak armor, silently stealth kill the grazers, then shoot off the containers on their backs one at a time with those harvest arrows. You'll get 24 blaze per machine.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Gremio108

@RogerRoger @Octane I'm playing on normal, which has been just the right side of challenging so far. I think I'm getting the hang of these enemies by now (read: spamming the ropecaster) but yeah it all got a bit Dark Souls in that canyon at the start of the DLC.

The problem I seem to have in this game is that if I unequip a weapon for a bit, such as the trip wires, I forget about it. Not a problem I usually have. I must be getting old.

@Ralizah I found the underground guys manageable until there were two of them, then they were an absolute nightmare. There was a corruption zone with two of them and I had to come back to it after I'd got my fancy armour.

Octane

@Gremio108 Trip wires are the best! Seriously. I once OHKO'd one of those big birds (not the smaller ones) by setting up a big net of explosive trip wires near a cliff. I stood underneath it, lured the bird with an arrow, it flew into it, exploded and it was death. At that moment I realised nothing is impossible. Trip wires are the solution to life.

Octane

Gremio108

@Octane I can't think of a game which wouldn't benefit from the addition of trip wires. Maybe Fifa?

No, I stand by my original statement.

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 I often feel swamped by the choice of weapons in games, and Horizon is no exception, to the point where I haven't used anything but bows and arrows for the entirety of my second playthrough; I just don't have the time to muck about with tripcasting tethered airshocked proximity balloons (or whatever). I just pick the strongest arrow, slow down time and aim for the eyes.

As I venture into the Frozen Wilds once more, however, I recall that its tougher mechanical inhabitants forced me to switch up my simplicity before. We'll see how I do this time around, on Easy, as I suspect that I might've been playing on Normal my first time.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger I think the Rattler and Tearblaster are the only weapons I never bothered to use in HZD. The former because, well, I just don't see a use for it, and the latter because the Shadow Sharpshot Bow + Tearblast Arrows with powerful mods is infinitely superior when it comes to quickly stripping robots.

Otherwise, almost every weapon in my arsenal has a use.

RogerRoger

@LaJettatura I thought PlayStation Mobile had gone the way of the dodo several years back? That's interesting, that Sony have scrambled to use whatever banner name they could find.

@Ralizah Agreed RE: the Tearblaster. I like the noise the Tearblast Arrows make too much, anyway.

There's that one mission where you're given time to seed a canyon with traps, before waves of enemies approach. I think that's the only time I've used them, both playthroughs. Given I'd been ignoring them, I had a full inventory for every type and yet, after planting a good thirty, I still found myself running ahead of them and opting for slow-mo headshots.

You can take the boy away from the sniper rifle...

It also doesn't seem sporting to tie the machines down. I'm too fond of rolling about the battlefield like a crazy woman, dodging things at the last second before popping back up to fire an arrow in their face as they turn back towards me. There's nothing more badass.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger I only do that with enemies that literally won't relent, like Fireclaws. Otherwise, I enjoy going full Macaulay Culkin and designing arenas full of death traps for enemies to stumble into. It's good times stringing up 20 - 30 blast wires, in particular, and then watching robots awkwardly run around trying to find a way through them. Or stunning robots and them surrounding them with blast wires. You've gotta have fun in life.

I use the ropecaster primarily to anchor those annoying Stormbirds. Otherwise, I'd rather be doing damage.

I used them on the smaller birds for a long time before discovering that they're hilariously weak to fire.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Never had an issue with the Stormbirds, as they're big enough to hit.

Glinthawks are the bane of my existence; I avoid them whenever possible, because even my keen eye has limits. If I can hit them twice, then they're done for; once to remove the casing around their chillwater stomach, then again to pierce it. Then I melee them once they've crashed in a cloud of ice. When two attack, I can just about survive. Three? I flee at three.

It's awesome that the game caters to such varied combat styles. Not sure why the Home Alone approach has never appealed to me when controlling Aloy, as it's what I'd often do with Venom Snake in MGSV: The Phantom Pain. Perhaps before I see the DLC's credits, I'll give it a try.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger I won't lie. Anytime I see Glinthawks in the distance, I equip my sneaky armor and then squat walk around them as quickly as possible. I don't detest them as much as Watchers (walking piles of garbage that exist solely to be annoying when I'm trying to fight something actually interesting), but the way they fly around everywhere is still irritating.

But yes, combat against robots is THE area where this game excels. It has some of the best combat I've ever seen in a video game. Adapts well to varied play-styles. A large arsenal of unique weapons to employ. Actual strategy when it comes to defeating the various robots.

MGSV is another one of those games I kind of guiltily glance at every time I log onto my PS4 before going to play something else. Not sure why it's so difficult for me to convince myself to start playing it!

The DLC doesn't have any credits, btw. How far in are you?

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Does it not? Remembered that wrong, then. Thanks!

Glad to know it isn't just me who hates Glinthawks! Don't mind Watchers, though. They're easy to roll under, and a single shot to the eye takes them down. They're who I practiced my badassery on!

You'll find yourself in the mood for MGSV someday. Its combat isn't as flashy as Horizon, but can be just as varied in its own way. That's the winning part of Aloy's adventure, I think; the fact that they've implemented all the systems and features you list, but then went "...and it's against giant robot dinosaurs!" and made it so fluid and cinematic. It's cool taking on a tank and a chopper as Snake, but we've done that in many other games. Horizon's mechanical menagerie is unique.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Oh, sorry, forgot to answer your question... I've only just arrived. Chatted to the villagers, got all my quest markers lined up, and woke the Tallneck.

I should've made more progress by now, but PaRappa the Rapper 2 kinda happened.

Making It So Since 1987

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.