Forums

Topic: God of War OT

Posts 581 to 600 of 807

JohnnyShoulder

@Voltan Welcome to my world! After getting the super expensive edition of Elden Ring I think I'm done in getting stuff like that for now. I was quite lucky in that my Amazon order got cancelled but managed to get one from Simply Games.

Now the question is will you spend almost 400 hours playing the game to get your moneys worth? šŸ˜‚ Jokes aside, that is not the reason I've been playing the game for so long, I just can't stop playing it!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Voltan

@JohnnyShoulder At this rate, money will soon be worthless in Poland so I might as well spend it on stuff

Voltan

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder could be wrong (in i fact probably am) but this is the first time that I'm aware of big-time scalping on games (It's obviously been going on with consoles for 20+ years).

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore I'm pretty sure it has happened before, particularly with Nintendo games.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

colonelkilgore

So after thoroughly enjoying God of War 2018 at release, I kinda regretted having never played any of the previous entries. Sure, I knew they were more character-action than action-adventure and that they had a bit of a reputation (as do most character-action games) for being a bit button-bashyā€¦ but GoW hit me hard.

Around two years later, and I noticed that a mate on my friends list had recently platā€™d God of War 3: Remastered. It piqued some interest for sure but I was a bit wary of simply jumping in to the Greek saga at its conclusion without the context of having experienced the games that came beforeā€¦ and my PS2 was a distant memory. Canā€™t even remember what I did with it in all honesty.

A couple of months later and I noticed a second-hand copy of God of War Collection: Volume 2 on PS3 at my local CEX. Iā€™d recently dusted off the PS3 to play Demons Souls and even though I couldnā€™t see a copy of Volume 1, I picked it up without too much thought. That evening I got home and tracked down a copy of God of War Collection: Volume 1 on eBay and put the order through. I also ordered God of War: Ascension and God of War 3: Remastered while I was at it. I figured that if I could fit one into my already crowded schedule every now and then, that I might have them all finished and platā€™d in time to play the eventual sequel to God of War 2018 (of course now known as God of War: Ragnarok).

Well, that was around July 2020ā€¦ and I just popped the plat on God of War 3: Remastered, which was the last remaining game set in the Greek era that I had left to play. Just checked through my trophy list and can see that I finished God of War on 26/08/2020 and God of War: Chains of Olympus on 16/09/2020. I joined Push Square in Dec 2020, found this thread pretty early on and obviously took the opportunity to add my progress and intentions to see the series through. Then I finished God of War: Ghost of Sparta on 20/04/2021, God of War 2 on 29/04/2021, God of War: Ascension on 03/05/2022 and obviously GoW3 today. Itā€™s been a helluva rideā€¦ and though I always kinda felt like-warm when considering making a start on any of them (thereā€™s a lot of competition in my backlog), I always ended up not only really enjoying themā€¦ but also appreciating the layers to the combat that are easily forgotten (or never even needed to be peeled back if not going for the plat).

GoW 3 in particular was a veryā€¦ very good game. Itā€™s extremely difficult to end a successful entertainment series in a satisfying manner, as proven by almost every ā€˜greatā€™ trilogy of film and gamingā€¦ but they definitely achieved it here thatā€™s for sure.

Iā€™m gonna enjoy a nice break from the character and his world nowā€¦ but I have God of War: Ragnarok pre-ordered (only the Collectors Edition sadly, I missed out on the Jotnar šŸ˜”)ā€¦ and Iā€™ve also made sure that I have a week off from work to just drink that **** in come November. Canā€™t wait.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Itā€™s been quite a journey for you. Having played all the GoW games within a two year period gives you quite the perspective. Most of us played them more gradually over the years on the previous consoles, but Iā€™m glad you really ended on a high. But I believe Ragnarok is going to blow away all previous entries in the series.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution yeah GoW3 really does leave me with a sweet taste in the mouth in regards to the series.

Although my blinkered approach to gaming during the PS2 and PS3 eras has left me with a helluva backlog, the silver lining is that I get to go back and play these classic seriesā€™ in a relatively short timeframe and everything remains pretty fresh in the mind. So thats the Metal Gear Solid and God of War games doneā€¦ and Iā€™m around halfway through the Assassins Creed series. After that I have the Resident Evil and Devil May Cry games to make my way through and then I should be all caught up šŸ˜….

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@AgentCooper Iā€™m excited for you dudeā€¦ hopefully it clicks for you. Obviously no game is for everyoneā€¦ but this one pushes the boundary on that statement.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@AgentCooper I never really liked the previous games and wasn't interested in this one until quite late just before it released. It become one of my favourite games of last gen, right up there with Zelda BOTW and Sekiro. Hopefully you will also find as much enjoyment out of it also.

Th3solution

@AgentCooper @JohnnyShoulder I had a similar ā€˜pleasant surpriseā€™ reaction to GoW (2018). I wasnā€™t looking forward to it, and played it way past the hype period of 10/10ā€™s and Barlogā€™s accompanying emotional reactions on Twitter. For some reason despite all the huge praise and GOTY awards, I still didnā€™t think I was destined to be blown away by it. And yet, it truly delivered for me.

Strangely enough, Iā€™m finding myself feeling a similar preconception to Ragnarok. Iā€™m sure it will be good, but Iā€™m feeling it may already be a smidge over-hyped so Iā€™m likely to wait a few months before playing it.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

Th3solution

@AgentCooper I hear you completely on the loaded plate issue. Some of it is the explosion of multimedia entertainment options over the last 10 years. Itā€™s an embarrassment of riches for things previously felt to be niche or associated only with nerd culture (sci-fi fantasy and superhero shows and movies, anime, video games, etc.), not to mention the technological advancement which has put more media options in the palm of our hand than we could consume in a lifetime. But secondly, as time marches on and we are all forced to be adults, we have stupid adult responsibilities like earning a living and such. šŸ˜…

Sometimes I wish things were simpler.

colonelkilgore

@AgentCooper the irony is that in the build up to God of War 2018ā€™s release I had no expectations at allā€¦ at that point Iā€™d never even considered playing any of the Greek saga and was just in the mood to play souls-likes. Iā€™d played Horizon zero Dawn the year before and that was the first Sony 1st Party exclusive which blew my doors offā€¦ but I still didnā€™t think Iā€™d actually give the God ofWar reboot a chance. Then all the 10/10ā€™s dropped and I was probably 10 hours away from the Dark Souls 2 plat and hadnā€™t lined up anything next so I thought what the hell. I waited until I popped DS2 and then started GoW around a week after it released with very middling expectations stillā€¦ and it absolutely slayed me! One of the reasons that I am as into gaming as I am today tbh.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@AgentCooper my ā€˜passionā€™ for gaming is actually much more indicative of my apathy for this sinking ship of a civilisation that we all survive on a daily basis irl tbh. Us gamers are basically the enduring orchestra on a post-iceberg titanic šŸ„³

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@AgentCooper lolā€¦ glad you found some appreciation for my Nietzchean-ly pitch-as-black outlook there agent.

Oh well, I guess that Iā€™ll hoist myself out of bed and stumble into the gaming roomā€¦ and with controller now firmly in hand - ā€œonce more with feeling gentlemenā€ Nearer my God to Theeā€¦ and a one and a twoā€¦

**** DLC!

LN78

@colonelkilgore @AgentCooper Well reading this exchange has left me with a strong desire to crawl back into bed and pull the covers over my head. There's nothing like some Titanic analogy infused Stygian Apocalypse chit-chat to brighten the time at the breakfast table. Thanks guys! šŸ¤£.

LN78

Th3solution

colonelkilgore wrote:

my ā€˜passionā€™ for gaming is actually much more indicative of my apathy for this sinking ship of a civilisation that we all survive on a daily basisā€¦

Man, my thoughts exactly. šŸ˜…
I might have to borrow this as my own personal slogan.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic