Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 1,795

LuckyLand

I have recently bought a PS4 for the new God of war. I have seen that God of war 3 is available too but I'd like God of war 2 instead, I like the second episode a lot more. Do you think Sony will ever consider releasing it again on PS4, even as a simple PS2 classic? How often Sony release new PS2 classic for the PS4 in the store usually? I'm excited about the new episode and can't wait to play it but I love the second one so much too!

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

JohnnyShoulder

@LuckyLand They may do one of GoW 2 but it would need to be some thing like the ratchet and clank or shadow of colossus, and that takes some considerable time and effort to achieve. So personally i don't think so, even if the latsest one is successful as i think it would be a backward step to play the previous games.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Haruki_NLI

Shenmue I & II HD exclusive to PS4.

Enjoy! Now maybe people will actually play the damn things XD

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Haruki_NLI

@Kidfried I was watching the stream and it only mentioned PS4 so...cool I guess. Probably PS4 only in Japan.

Kidfried

@YummyHappyPills Ah, you might have the most accurate info then. I only read IGN.

Still, it's great news regardless! Might be a day 1 buy for me, if it's a labor of love.

Kidfried

Haruki_NLI

@Kidfried PS4 only in Japan it seems. The other two platforms elsewhere.

Fight_Teza_Fight

This is a great read.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-04-20-sonys-studi...

The gap between what Sony can do with single-player games and what others - including quite big publishers in some cases - can do is opening up to the point where it starts to resemble the difference between Hollywood and indie film-making....
...The reason for this expanding gulf is, simply put, that Sony's economic incentives are different. Sony's blockbuster single-player games are both commercial products in themselves, and incredibly powerful marketing tools for PlayStation. Their existence is justified not just by their sales, but by the halo effect they create for the platform as a whole. Horizon, God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted, The Last Guardian; these aren't just great games, they're intrinsic parts of what PlayStation is to consumers and to Sony itself. The company can lavish resources, time and attention on these products because it recognises them as pillars holding up the console business - itself the pillar which holds up Sony Corporation.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Th3solution

@Fight_Teza_Fight Great read! And this written before even getting Detroit Become Human and Spiderman yet. —
“Sony's big games are tied together by a single clear thread: they are extremely polished, expensively developed titles that stick to a concept of the single-player experience with something that borders on ideological purity. They're straight down the line traditional console titles. They might almost be crafted as a direct answer to consumers who complain about no longer getting the complete experience when you buy a game, as they pointedly feature no new business models, no microtransactions, no season passes.”
... (sniff) .. I’m growing misty eyed just reading it. So beautiful....
“The consumer, of course, doesn't care that Sony can only make these games because it's playing a different commercial ball-game to other game creators. They only care that the PS4 has had arguably one of the finest streaks of high-profile exclusive titles of any console in history....”

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

It also means that that they can take more risks with more so called niche tiltes like The Last Guardian and not worry too much that it didn't sell a huge amount.

Nintendo are very much like this too. Can't really say the same for Microsoft, sorry.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Bonbonetti

Consoles, especially the Nintendo and Playstation, are fast becoming the last bastions of single-player gaming, at least when it comes to single-player games with bigger budgets behind them. Indie games are a different matter.

The current multiplayer focus, with accompanying lootboxes and microtransactins, is a trend that originates from modern PC gaming. That's where lootboxes and microtransactions became really popular, though games like WoW, Hearthstone and CS:GO. This trend has been trying to take over console gaming as well.

Bonbonetti

BAMozzy

Companies like Sony and Nintendo can invest in purely single-player games with no MP because they are not as much 'risk' as they are for companies like EA or Activision. They own the platform they are made for so don't have to pay to have their trademarks (PS4 or Nintendo), pay a percentage of profits from digital sales etc and these companies are making money from 'hardware' sales too. Not only do you need to buy the game but you also have to buy their hardware specifically to play these games.

MS are also in a similar position BUT we know they haven't been as successful with their hardware this generation. Live is certainly one of MS's strengths and something they have been at the forefront of for years - going all the way back to the original Xbox and games like Halo. Their biggest sellers - certainly in recent times have had a big MP/co-op presence too. Games like Halo, Gears of War, Forza for example have been the big sellers on Xbox and so MS, with the reaffirmation that Live was the 'best', the rise of eSports etc are making the games that are to their 'strengths'.

When you look at Sonys biggest selling games, certainly on PS4, the games are all strong Single Player experiences - even if some have a MP (they are not big selling points of these games though). Games like Uncharted (all as we had the Nathan Drake collection), Last of Us, Horizon:Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Infamous etc are the biggest selling exclusives for Sony so its sending Sony the message that's what Sony gamers want from them. When you look at MS's Single Player games - games like Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Recore etc, they weren't big sellers - despite some big investment. Again this would indicate that both are playing to their strengths.

Companies like EA and Activision, as I said, are just in the business of making games and they don't have the income of hardware. They are looking at ways to keep an income coming in between releases, keeping their games 'active' over a long period with ways of encouraging additional purchases.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Yeah good times, PS4 defo has one of the most varied range of exclusives I can recall. All that I can that is missing is a multi player focused title. Not that I bothered as that wouldn't interest me.

kyleforrester87

It is the best console of all time in my opinion, even though I am kind of itching for the next generation now. Frankly there's too many games and I prefer the slower pace in a systems initial years to properly enjoy everything.

But yes, PS4 is a massive success.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Jaz007

I also agree that the PS4 is the greatest console of all time. It has so many great games, and games keep evolving too. So I think they’re always improving as a whole too. I feel like my top ten changes often enough over time, which is a good thing for sure. I’m a fan of getting consoles at launch. As long as there’s one or two killer games within the 4-6 months line there was Second Son and some other fun games, I think it’s cool. Plus, it’ll give me time to make progress on my huge backlog of bought and I bought games. And felt longer last generation, even though I came a few years in. It does feel recent in way, the PS4 being new. I just hope physical discs and used games keep being a thing, and they’ll be no problems. The rise of digital sales concerns me a little.

Jaz007

Octane

@KratosMD PS5 is still a year-and-a-half away for sure, maybe even more. Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, there's still a lot to come, and I think all of them will end up on PS4 at least.

Octane

Fight_Teza_Fight

@KratosMD I'm right there with you! The other day I put God of War on the shelf & I literally took a step back and went: 'Wow, those are some of the best games I have ever played!' .
Untitled
The library is absolutely insane. Stacked with exclusives and quality games.
Detroit is just over a month away and I've still got God of War and Yakuza 6 to get through before then.
First World problems.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic