Forums

Topic: Discussing Game of the Year - GOTY 2018

Posts 21 to 40 of 72

DerMeister

Spider-Man will probably be the only 2018 game I'll play so far. There's various reasons why I haven't played this year's titles, but ultimately I just haven't kept up.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Jaz007

I don't think I've played a game released in 2018 yet....

Jaz007

WanderingBullet

Haven't received my Dragon Quest XI, yet and Valkyria Chronicles 4 is releasing end of the month. So it's Monster Hunter World for me currently.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

mookysam

@Ralizah Completely agreed. I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would given it was a stretch goal on the Kickstarter campaign. The level design is so good and I really liked each individual characters abilities and how they enable you to explore different parts of the level. The difficulty curve is perfect too and there is a lot of replay value. Not to mention the awesome visuals and sound! I played it on the Vita and would say the controls were excellent and very responsive. The Vita's d-pad is sublime though.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Octane

God of War for me.

Octane

JohnnyShoulder

Only played and completed 3 games from this year. Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Souls Remastered and God Of War. God of War wins hands down for me. I either don't see me playing anything else yet to be released this year, or don't see anything beating GoW. It would have to be something really special.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

@mookysam I was tempted to get it on the Vita due to the better D-Pad, but decided to go for the Switch version instead so I could use my 8bitdo SNES controller to play it. And it plays BRILLIANTLY with an SNES pad.

And yeah, the reasonable difficulty curve is what elevates it above a game like Castlevania III. A lot of the difficulty in the NES Castlevania games was unfair: sometimes it was hard to distinguish foreground from background. Oftentimes the game would make it easy for fast enemies to knock you off ledges. That sort of thing isn't fun for me. Bloodstained has very fair level design, so that I never felt like any of my deaths were undeserved.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

NathanUC

Monster Hunter World. So easy this year. Easiest year in a long time. It's Game of the Decade.

To save our Mother Earth from any alien attack
From vicious giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all our forces we won't cut them any slack
The EDF deploys!!

mookysam

@Ralizah That controller sounds good and useful for any indie games that use the d pad. Does it connect wirelessly? Playing on my SNES mini reminded me of just how perfect the SNES controller is.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

@mookysam Yeah, it's a bluetooth controller. I've been connecting it to the wireless controller adapter I have plugged into the system, and it connects almost instantaneously after I turn the controller on. I compared it to a real SNES controller and it's almost a dead ringer in terms of weight and the feel of the buttons.

Anyway, there's no noticeable lag from the inputs, and it makes games like Bloodstained, Mega Man 2, and various Neo-Geo titles so much nicer to play.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Jaz007 I'm in the same boat. Cleared some of my backlog and played a couple PS Plus games, but have yet to play a purchase (Shenmue I & II still sealed on my shelf, alas, and I'm not counting The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit because it was essentially a free demo).

That'll change next Wednesday. I have a feeling Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be my pick.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Jaz007 @RogerRoger Yeah, I’m a year behind or more. In 2018, I’ve been trying to catch up on the many gems of 2017. Ex. - Still polishing up and playing the likes of Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2, What Remains of Edith Finch, The Walking Dead Season 3, Yakuza 0, LiS: Before the Storm, etc - with many more yet to play ... and even some games from 2016 and 2015 or beyond.
I’m trying to balance my time between keeping up on the new games while their topical and yet chipping away at the backlog of games from yesteryear. The furor of discussion about GotY always motivates me to try to get current games played so I can have an opinion. I’m nearly sure that I won’t have time to play GoW, Monster Hunter, Detroit, or the 2 new Yakuzas before year’s end though. But if I can at least experience Spidey, TR, and Red Dead, then maybe I can contribute since those are likely to be my favorites anyways.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution There are a few franchises I stop whatever I'm doing and play immediately whenever they release a new game. I'm deliberately not starting anything new, haven't been for a good couple weeks now, because of Tomb Raider. Otherwise I don't usually mind.

However, being part of Push Square's community now, it's nice to be a part of a conversation, as you say. That's a new experience for me this year.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

God of War so far for me.

Monster Hunter World the biggest surprise. I'd not played a game in the series before and had a blast. I just lost interest very quickly once I'd completed the game but that's not something to hold against it.

Thrillho

Bonbonetti

My GOTY contenders so far: Octahedron - Yoku's Island Express - Dimension Drive - Road to Ballhalla - Mugsters - Slime-san - Horizon Chase Turbo - Shift Quantum - Gorogoa - Forgotton Anne - Aegis Defenders - Unravel Two - Super Destronaut DX - Nascar Heat 3 - MXGP Pro

Potential contenders (haven't played yet, still to be released):
Dakar 18 - Ride 3 - V-Rally 4 - Call of Cthulu

Bonbonetti

Kidfried

It's just before RDR2, the most anticipated game of the year no question, and a lot of games and GOTY contenders have releases in the last two months. Time to make up the balance then.

What is your favorite game so far, did the last two months' releases make a difference, and do you expect RDR2 to be a contender for you?

I've played quite some more 2018 releases now, but there's still more I want to play. Currently Celeste is my number one, but I am addicted to No No Kuni 2 right now.

The difficulty options patch clearly brought some balance to NNK2. I think that might be why I'm enjoying it more than those who played it day one. But I have not finished the game yet, and I think the next ten hours will decide whether it will be an actual contender for me.

So far that game hits all the right spots. Japanese action RPG, with a super fun battle system, unmatched character design and charm, but also super addicting... in a good way. The plot is nothing to write home about, but it's a fun world to be in.

However, I have to hurry up a bit, because I am buying Red Dead next week. I played the 2010 game at launch, so I have been waiting a really long time for this one. But... I have no idea how it will fare. It might be just an average game for all I know; still didn't see anything yet that made me consider it 'the best'.

And then there's millions of games I missed out on still. So, you'll have to wait until 2020 for my final verdict probably. :')

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

Still God of War for me. Yoku's Island Express is awesome too but not GOTY material. From what I've played of Monster Hunter World, that is nowhere near GOTY for me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Octane

God of War for me as well. It had everything I'm looking for in a game; exploration, yet also great linear level design, a great narrative, it was funny, there was plenty of challenge, tons of lore to explore; and overall a very polished experience with a lot of attention to detail.

Octane

Th3solution

These final months are adding a pretty packed roster of games to an already strong year. I’ve spent 2018 trying to catch up on the great games of 2017 (What Remains of Edith Finch, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Yakuza 0, TWD3, Before the Storm....) and I will probably spend 2019 catching up on the majority of the games from this year, so it is hard to judge. I feel confident I’ll get a couple more under my belt before January, but so far it’s probably still Shadow of the Collosus for me, even if it is “just” a remaster. In the year if the “Shadows” I also would say Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a worthy contender and I’m having a great time with it. I have the final story mission to go and I just don’t want it to end, so I’m dragging it out by mopping up the map markers.
I probably won’t play RDR2 at launch because I would rather try to knock out several 20-30 hour games from the backlog first rather than get lost in a 100 hour game right now, but when the reviews and player impressions hit, I might change my plans and fall prey to peer pressure, we’ll see.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

KratosMD wrote:

I've also played Shenmue, but yeah, no. lol

I'm about to start my second new game of the year, but it's a LEGO game so as much as I'll defend them, I can't seriously believe it'll become my GOTY choice (although I always keep an open mind).

For me, thusfar, it's been Shadow of the Tomb Raider simply because it's alone in a vacuum at the moment. It was, and is, a brilliant game and still may well be what I'm answering with come December, but I've still got Hitman 2 and Just Cause 4 to come (no offence to Spyro and / or Team Sonic Racing, but I refer you to my comments about LEGO games above). Those two have the necessary complexity and depth of experience to become potential contenders, even if I don't expect their storylines or characters to come anywhere close to Lara's latest.

Given how much I've suddenly got to play within a couple months, I may not be making my personal GOTY decision for 2018 until February or March 2019.

Making It So Since 1987

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.