Forums

Topic: Bloodborne Tavern: Impressions, Help, Discussion Board

Posts 301 to 320 of 634

JohnnyShoulder

Oh mah gawd shadows of Yarnham were a bleedin mare for me! Just when you think it will get easy with just one of em mahoosive snakes blast outta the ground!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

I made it! Thanks for all the advice once again. I try not to look a lot up on the internet, but sometimes I just need a little bit help to carry on. Even if it's just you lot saying "don't give up".

@JohnnyShoulder I thought the massive snakes were actually quite easy. Just use fast attacks so it can't summon the snakes. The second phase was pretty difficult, but I found that beating the swordsman first and hiding behind the rock helped immensely.

We'll see what's next.

@Th3solution How far are you now?

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried Yeah iirc I think that's how I finally defeated em by finishing the last one off so it didn't have a chance to summon the snakes.

It was more the surprise factor that got me initially.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@Kidfried I’m right behind I think. I am about halfway through Forbidden Woods. I just found the secret path to Iosefka’s Clinic do took a detour there and kept dying in the poison lake. But eventually I got through so now I need to get through the rest of the Woods to the boss. I also took a detour into the other optional area and defeated the Darkbeast Paarl which took me about 10 tries, but he finally went down. I haven’t played in about a week due to real life, although I can’t say I’m one of those at the pool enjoying the sun, but I’ve been busy. The few hours I’ve had to game I just decided to knock out Abzu instead but I’m getting the Bloodborne itch again. The Woods is a pretty complex area with all those blasted traps and pathways.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution What did you think of Darkbeast Paarl? I think I managed to take it down after a handful of goes but it wasn't until later in the game that I faced it.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder DB Paarl was actually kinda annoying to me. I kept trying to roll toward him when he strikes but by the time I could target a leg, he would back up and swipe me or shock me with the shock attack. But I finally got the pattern down and once you can string 3-4 hits on the legs and he crumbles, then the fun is on! Then pummeling him while he’s down just takes a ton of health off. Rinse and repeat about 3 times and it’s game over for Paarl. Honestly I tried the Molotov cocktails as suggested here and it wasn’t very effective for me. It was easier just getting used to targeting the legs quickly.
Also Paarl has taught me (again) that you kind of need to tune out the sounds the bosses make because as they swipe it makes such a huge horrible roaring and crashing sound that it tricks your mind that you have been hit, but you have to trust your eyes and see that, no — I’m still upright and safe, don’t panic, just keep the composure. The same issue occurred for me on Gascoigne where I finally had to take my headphones off because the screeching and roaring was distracting me and making me panic more.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

NecuVise

Paarl really really doesn't like poison knives

NecuVise

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution TBH i don't think i ever used Molotov cocktails against bosses as i found em too slow. Maybe against Father Gazza and that is about it. But i know some find em good to use against bosses that are weak to fire, especially if you use oil on em first.

@NecuVise Nice avatar!

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Actually, I’ve hardly found Molotov cocktails useful in any form or fashion yet. I have a gemstone added to my saw cleaver that adds fire damage so I automatically get the added bonus damage that way and I don’t have to use up a limited resource. I’m a little obsessive compulsive in my gaming when it comes to consumables— I tend to hoard them for a rainy day and often just end up not using them. Unless it’s a game like Resident Evil or The Last of Us where the limited ammo and resources is just part of the game and the the inherent design of the game is to have just enough of it to get by moment to moment. Otherwise, I hoard my resources. 😂. In fact, I was even being stingy with my pebbles and then all of a sudden I get a pop up saying I’ve maxed out my storage of pebbles and can’t hold anymore, so I figured I’d better start throwing them at enemies and using them. Lol.

Speaking of the Molotov cocktails and oil, I saw a YouTube video of someone who beat Darkbeast Paarl without ever even engaging him just by tossing oil and cocktails from the steps there over the barrier onto him. I think it took like 15 or so of each though. Kind of a cheat of sorts, but interesting that the boss can take damage from even behind the fog barrier.

Also, on the subject of fire damage, I discovered that the further into the game I go, I need to be conscientious about enemy weaknesses and strengths. I have that gemstone equipped and noticed that suddenly certain enemies took a lot more hits than I thought they should have, considering my level and the other enemies in the area. Then I switched out to another weapon and that particular enemy started going down with ease. Sad that it took me halfway through the game to make the connection. So now I’m experimenting more with different weapons for elemental, piercing vs blunt damage, etc.

Edited on by Th3solution

NecuVise

@JohnnyShoulder thanks

I also tend to hoard consumables and end up not using most of them. Two days ago I realized that I had beaten 2/3 of Dark Souls 3 without even upgrading the strength of my estus flask I'm just afraid that I will really need something at some point and that's why I don't use these consumables

NecuVise

johncalmc

I played through all three Dark Souls games without ever working out how to even use magic. I just whacked things real hard until they died.

johncalmc

Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution That is why i have 2 or 3 weapons maxed out so i have different options available.

Th3solution

With all this talk of God of War being the first ‘single shot’ game of its kind, I was thinking and Bloodborne (and possibly the other Souls games, not sure since I didn’t play them) is basically single shot in theory. Outside of the rare cutscenes at a couple points in the main story line (and I realize I’m only about half way through the game) it appears that one could go from the beginning of the game, all the way through to any point or area in the game in a single shot without any loading screen. The lanterns are only there to go back and forth to the Hunter Dream for leveling and such. Maybe I’m thinking about it wrong, but I think it is possible in Bloodborne to traverse the game in a single shot, if you never die and never level up. There is no dialog where you come to point A and talk to a character and it cuts away to show a cut scene of the conversation and then cuts back, that I can recall. And you don’t go up to a tower to unlock a new section of the map and the camera cuts away to show a view of a new area now open, etc. At least not that I can think of. Now I’m going to be paying attention to that in all the games I play.
Anyway, just random thoughts I have on a Thursday morning 😅

Edit: and if I’m wrong and there is a point at the end where the game loads a completely different area that you can’t just walk to, then I apologize for wasting everyone’s time. Lol.

Edited on by Th3solution

Kidfried

@Th3solution Well, the game definitely does a great job of keeping everything connected and keeping you in charge of your character all the time, which is great. However, there are cut scenes from different shots and also some place you'll travel between that have loading screens.

Kidfried

Kidfried

Also, I beat Rom! At first I spent insight on an ally to help me, but later on I found out beating Rom is easier on your own actually. I used up quite some items, though.

Now, I'm making a bit of progress and I wonder... is there a point of no return in this game? Before the final boss or something? Because I feel there are still some optional bosses and shortcuts out there that I totally missed out on. Some I feel are still too strong, so I'm kind of waiting until near the end of the game. Please, let me know!

Kidfried

NecuVise

@Kidfried there is a point of no return so be aware of it. When the locked gate in your dream opens, proceeding to it and interacting with someone there is a point of no return. If you want to play optional bosses or the DLC, don't go through that gate when it opens before you do everything else that you want.

NecuVise

NecuVise

If anyone is interested in the chalice dungeons just a quick note that they are not connected to the state of your game, i.e. they are the same regardless if you are on a new game, new game+, ng++ and so on.

NecuVise

Kidfried

@NecuVise Thanks! And I'm interested in the chalice dungeons, even though I very much doubt if I have the skill for it.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic