Forums

Topic: Bloodborne Tavern: Impressions, Help, Discussion Board

Posts 621 to 634 of 634

CJD87

@colonelkilgore @JohnnyShoulder
Thanks both for the FG tips... funnily enough I actually decided to have a stab at him about 5 mintues after posting, and managed to take him out

I think the gun parry/riposte is quite a high risk&reward mechanic, but I probably owe my success to that tactic. The damage dealt through the riposte is pretty obscene, and thankfully I went in to battle with plenty of bullets! I've now been able to upgrade my SawBlade to +3 and also implemented some blood gems for a damage boost (I can use 2 simultaneously it turns out)

The blood gem mechanic reminds me very much of the FFVII materia concept, in that I am given the impression the gems can be re-used and swapped out between weapons?

But yeah, it is a really cool game and I think I might even go for NG+ if it doesn't turn out too bloated. (NB I never did NG+ on Elden Ring, loved my time with it but NG took me nearly 85 hours and I was a bit burned out by the end)

@colonelkilgore - that is a really interesting perspective, re. reviewers who have recently jumped on to the 'Soul-train' due to accessibility of Elden Ring... I think it is a great thing that gamers are perhaps now more open-minded to approach this genre, but equally their expectations of a Souls-like will vary greatly vs an experienced FromSoft 'OG'

@JohnnyShoulder Lies of P looks ridiculously good I agree

CJD87

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder I’ve enjoyed all the ones I’ve played tbh… but all the while fully aware that they’ll probably never tick every From Soft box… particularly when they’re AA.

I’m surprised that we haven’t heard anything about Elden Ring DLC. Was kinda expecting it to be announced at Gamescon.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@CJD87 Good job with Father Gascoigne! I’ve said it on here before, but in my opinion he’s probably one of, if not the hardest boss in the game. To me he’s kinda like the B1 boss in Returnal. Seems so hard at first, but is the first big ‘proving ground’ for the game and so despite lots of difficult bosses later on, nothing feels quite as big of an obstacle afterward, even if future enemies are technically harder. It’s all downhill from here! 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

MaulTsir

@CJD87 @Th3solution Like Sol says if you best Farther Gascoigne then you will be able to do the rest of the game.

I have only played this and currently DeS remake but I absolutely fell in love with this game and it will take alot from the other souls games to top it I think, the combat, the atheistic, the environment and the enemies especially some of the bosses are just fantastic and solving ways to beat them just felt so rewarding.

I hope you carry on enjoying the game because I believe its a true master piece.

MaulTsir

CJD87

@MaulTsir Thanks man! Gascoigne was rough, I won't lie...!

Agree 100% that the aesthetic and environment are unrivalled... not sure if it will ever top Sekiro for me, but it could well beat Elden Ring for the #2 spot in my FS rankings.

There is an interesting theory floating around that everyone always ranks their first FS game as their 'favorite'... and this actually seems to be relatively true!

CJD87

JohnnyShoulder

@CJD87 That is tied between Sekiro and Elden Ring for me, so definitely not case from my perspective!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

CJD87

@JohnnyShoulder There is always an outlier eh!

What was your first btw? And what is your overall ranking of the FS entries you've played?

CJD87

JohnnyShoulder

@CJD87 That pretty much sums me up lol! 😂

My first was Dark Souls on 360 and I did not like it. At all. When back to it a few times over several months and could not get past a couple of sections. I only completed it when it got remastered for PS4. My ranking for the series is... 👀

1. Sekiro
2. Elden Ring
3. Bloodborne
4. Dark Souls 3
5. Dark Souls Remastered
6. Demon's Souls PS5
7. Dark Souls 2 PS4

I put Sekiro at numero uno as I think as an overall package it slightly has the edge over Elden Ring.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder That top 3 is pretty consistent across a lot of From veterans. The exact order of the 3 is often mixed up, but most often it’s Sekiro, ER and BB at the top.

Both ER and Sekiro worry me that they each seem to have a couple late game bosses that are just brutal. I would hate to get through an entire game and get to the last boss and not be able to finish it. It’s what scare me off them. Not to say I’ll never try Sekiro or ER but I keep thinking I’ll try DS3 as my next FromSoft game.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

CJD87

@JohnnyShoulder My take on DS is probably similar to yours. I certainly 'appreciate' it as a game, and objectively I really respect what FS achieved.... I just didn't enjoy it all that much!

I actually appreciate DS a lot more now though, having played the DeS remake on PS5. Whilst it is probably one of the most graphically gorgeous games on PS5, and Bluepoint did a phenomenal job with the ground-up rebuild, the game mechanics are just so hit & miss! DS seems to improve upon a lot of the issues I had with DeS....

ER is a masterpiece of course, but I think it suffers slightly from the bloat element you find in most open-world games. But I do think ER is a good example of how an open-world game should approach trophies. Assuming you're not adverse to save-scumming endings, the platinum requirements for ER are pretty much perfect IMO..... vs how obnoxious the platinum requirements for DeS are!

People also rave about DS3, which I might try and squeeze in before end of this year.

Just got to Old Yharnam in BB, and have some machine-gun wielding nutcase sniping me whilst I try and tackle the usual mobs! In classic FS fashion, I was trolled to an untimely demise by a group of crows who stun-locked me whilst I took a shed-load of machine gun fire. This game....

CJD87

JohnnyShoulder

@CJD87 Yeah the crows are bar stewards. I quite like Old Yarnham, but that area at the beginning is a pain at first. It was also one of the areas where the frame rate would take a massive hit. I think they eventually patched it though.

Jtheripper

Really too bad this game never got still an update for ps4 pro, ps5 bc, to run smooth and sharper.

Shame to leave a jewel like this lookin like a mess.

Jtheripper

Shinnok789

Sony has only 2 Playstation Exclusive IP's made by From Software in it's portfolio: Demon's Souls and Bloodborne.
Due to the success of the devs and of the Soulsborne genre in general, my guess is they're gonna keep Bloodborne on ice until the next gen console launch, and do a full Remake of it, like they did with Demon's Souls, to apply a heavy boost to the initial sales.
It's the most likely reason for the lack of a 60fps patch or of a PS5 Remaster.
And why Sony will continue to avoid making a PC port for it, and keep it 100% exclusive (Demon's Sous Remake doesn't have one either, even if it was launched over 2 years ago - despite the company's recent policies, to bring it's exclusive IP's to PC after 1-2 years of exclusivity).

Edited on by Shinnok789

Shinnok789

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic