Forums

Topic: 4k TV Recommendations

Posts 101 to 120 of 310

MaccaMUFC

@BAMozzy - What do you use with those AVForum settings when it's on 'movie' mode? Just watching general TV and Netflix with HDR content? Because you use game mode for gaming don't you. Last night I was messing with the settings in natural mode while playing FH3, it was daytime in-game and it just looked too dark before, so I upped the Backlight to max on 20 and Dynamic Contrast to high, I believe it brings out the colour more and makes it brighter, having it any lower just makes it look more dim, then daytime in-game actually looked like it was daytime. It's a constant battle trying to get the best picture to suit yourself.

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

BAMozzy

Of course I use game mode for gaming and posted my settings of how I have my 'game mode'. I tend to stick with the 'movie' settings for all general viewing and as HDR settings (so far) have automatically been applied to all 'watchable' HDR content, the only time I have checked and/or tweaked these settings was whilst watching HDR. Since then, everytime I have watched HDR the settings automatically have changed to expected HDR settings (which are not different from those in the AVForums settings for HDR). I can't comment on our it works for gaming yet as I don't have a HDR game. Game mode essentially is the same as the other modes - just with a lot of the processing features turned off/disabled. Its this processing that adds lag.

As these TV's are designed with HDR in mind, the Backlight can go much higher and therefore a setting of 5 for example seems very low BUT that still conforms to the parameters and gamma of SDR content. Brightness for this is calibrated and has a 'determined' figure and then all colours are calibrated around this too.. Whilst you can obviously go a lot higher - especially with these TV's, its moving further away from the industry standard. Nothing wrong with that if you prefer the brighter look of course.

Cinemas, for example, also use this calibration for their projectors based on viewing environment. Its why all movies should look the same regardless of which theatre you go to. What you are essentially doing would be like one theatre turning up their brightness a bit more than another to give a different image look - some may prefer this of course. Settings come down to personal taste and preference. I prefer my TV to look natural and consistent between the two TV's I own. I try to calibrate them to the same 'standard' and gamma. Its essentially like adding more bass or treble to a CD's playback based on your own preference. Its not wrong to prefer the extra brightness this TV can offer - I know I could turn my brightness up too but I also know that it won't be conforming to correct gamma that content is mastered to.

This is one area where Dolby Vision should excel as all calibration should be unnecessary. It will automatically display the image within the parameters on a frame by frame basis so colours and brightness will be consistent. Its like listening to a CD and not being able to adjust the equalizer, hearing it as the producer intended. Dolby Vision displays HDR as the director wants you to see it.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

BAMozzy

@MaccaMUFC: I now know what you mean. Although HDR is detected, the TV doesn't adjust the settings like it does for other content in Movie mode for example. I too had to manually change the Backlight up to 20 and set the Smart LED to High when I played Gears of War 4. I have the colour set to Native and colour tone set to 'Standard' (I don't like 'Warm' for games) anyway for game mode. Native is what gives the wide colour gamut.
I don't know if this is the TV not automatically changing or if games send a different metadata that doesn't adjust the settings. HDR though certainly looks incredible.

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

MaccaMUFC

@BAMozzy - I've finally settled with 'game mode' now and 'movie mode' for watching general TV, Netflix etc. I'm just always messing with the 'high dynamic' settings as I can't decide which is best, I thought having it on high while HDR is playing is a must?

It is a bit of a pain having to sort the Backlight and Smart LED settings when playing games that are HDR/non-HDR compatible. I've seen FH3 in HDR but just now GoW4 came through the post so that installing now, can't wait to try that out, heard it looks amazing. Still waiting for Mafia 3 but no doubt the useless Royal Mail has lost it in the post.

Do you know that third party games are now HDR compatible on XB1S? The games that I know that support it are:

Battlefield 1
Resident Evil VII
Deus Ex: MD
NBA 2K17
Final Fantasy XV

I know it's nothing compared to the list the PS4 are getting HDR games through an update but it's better than having just first party games and I don't see why XB1S can't get an update so that all games can be played in HDR.

MaccaMUFC

BAMozzy

@MaccaMUFC: As far as I know, setting the Smart LED to high is necessary to get the maximum brightness for the highlights, However personal choice is always going to win. GoW certainly looks incredible to me - the best looking xbox one game? Unreal engine looks great! As far as game mode and HDR is concerned, the only settings I change is the backlight and the Smart LED. Everything else is as I would set for HDR or non-HDR.

I certainly expect the list to grow - both 3rd and first party games. Either way though, I can't wait to see more HDR games as it really does improve the look of games. Looking forward to getting my PS4 Pro even more now...

MaccaMUFC

@BAMozzy - Backlight and Smart LED are the only the settings I change as well. What 'Dynamic Contrast' setting do you use in 'game mode' and 'movie'?

The Unreal engine as been around for nearly two decades, one would think it would be dated by today's standard but they keep updating it and that make some really pretty games.

You've always striked me as pro PlayStation (no pun intended) but if the Scorpio could run all games in both native 4K and 60 fps then would that be your primary console? Not saying Scorpio will but just wondered what your take would be if it did?

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

BAMozzy

@MaccaMUFC: I use Dynamic contrast on Low for everything at the moment. I set my TV up in Movie and stuck with it across all sources. Its something I have used on my previous few Samsung TV's too.

Unreal has been around a while but this is Unreal 4. That's like saying Frostbite been around nearly a decade now but there is a quite a difference between the old engines and the new. Don't know if you watched this

I am not anti-xbox at all - I have been accused of being too Pro xbox because I tend to defend xbox when PS owners are having a go and vice versa. I admit I was bemused at xbox's stance and some choices they made over the Xbox One and their plans going forward - such as GPU and ESRAM, mid-term XB1s knowing the PS4 Pro was launching and the 'resolutiongate', VR, its birth and the lack of power etc but I still own all my Xbox consoles inc the original, Xbox 360 and now 2 XB1's as well as all my games for these. I consider myself a gamer first and foremost and therefore I would buy games that offer the best visuals and performance in most cases but not all. Things like friends/family online for co-op/MP games is more important for example and I have a lot of friends on XBL. Things like bonus or early access are a consideration too. Its possible that I may buy more games on the Scorpio because of the extra power it has and no doubt easier to store and play games thanks to external HDD support, I don't know it will become my 'primary' console. If it offers 4k/60 and the Pro offers 4k/30, then I will almost certainly buy the Scorpio version for the better frame rate but if the Pro is say 1800/60 the decision will be based on other factors - like online friends, extra content etc same as it is now with the PS4 and XB1. The PS4 Pro is likely to be in the same position for the next year - with all games running 'better' than the XB1s but I still want both and both will get used a lot. I have had at least 2 consoles for more years than I care to admit and until they make a console that plays every game then I will continue to buy more than 1.

Thesnipergecko

Another KS8000 user here. Very happy with my purchase. UHD's with HDR are out of this world! I knnow a lot of people complain about the sets sound quality but I think it's pretty darn good. I have a 5.1/Amp setup too so I know good sound when I hear it.

The picture quality is amazing. I tend to turn off all the extra processing that the TV puts on for gaming and have dynamic contrast off. Overall I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

5960X (Haswell-E) | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | X99-S | GTX 980 | 32GB RAM | 5.5TB
4K TV (KS8000) | PS4 PRO | PS VR | XBOX-ONE S
SNES · PS1 · PS2 · PS3 · XBOX · GAMECUBE · DREAMCAST

PSN: Thesnipergecko | Twitter:

BAMozzy

The KS8000 series has been named as What Hifi's best TV for 2016. In fact 3 of the KS series won awards. I must admit I am very pleased with mine - not just from a gaming perspective although it does excel in that area. Can't wait to connect my PS4 Pro up to it and play games in over 1080p as well as HDR. HDR looks incredible with Gears of War 4!

@Thesnipergecko: The sound is very impressive considering the size and width they must be. The 60w 4.1 combination adds a lot of depth and bass but obviously nowhere near as much as a dedicated sound system can deliver. Generally I game with a headset on anyway but 90% of the time I use the TV speakers when watching and its more than adequate for my needs and situation. I occasionally watch a movie with my 5.1 surround sound Home Theatre but that is a rare occurrence as I tend to watch most films quite late at night and the Surround Sound system is a bit too loud for that time of night.

johncalmc

Just pretend for a second that I don't know anything about anything when it comes to televisions and technology.

I'm looking to upgrade my telly to a better one. I've currently got a Sony Bravia something. It's like forty inch and it cost 500 notes about seven years ago. I don't know anything about it beyond that. I'm thinking of going 4K here, and I'm looking at some of the recommendations that people are throwing around, but I'm seeing some bonkers prices here and I don't know whether any of these numbers or HDRs or whatever will actually make one lick of difference to me.

If I was to go for a 4K TV that was like fifty inch or whatever I can get one for like £600/£700. But going crazy and picking up an HDR and all this other tackle adds more dollar on top.

For an absolute novice like me does any of this stuff actually matter? Am I going to be able to tell the difference between a £600 telly and a £1,100 telly? Am I like the TV equivalent of one of those people who knows nothing about wine and likes a glass of Blue Nun just as much as the top dollar stuff?

I'm willing to throw some money at a new TV because a) I like spending money, b) I'm okay with future proofing if everything is going to go 4K in the future, and c) I want my video games to look pretty. I've already got an absurd surround sound system that makes watching movies in my living room sound like I'm sat in a multiplex. Should I just buy a ridiculous TV and worry about the consequences later? Or is spending over a grand on a TV just going to be a monumental waste of coin for a technological philistine such as myself?

Edited on by johncalmc

johncalmc

Twitter:

Thesnipergecko

@johncalmc: go to your local PC World/Currys and ask for a tech demo on a 4K HDR set. Oh and take some money with you.

Tell them you want to see some 4K content and some HDR content and then some normal 1080p stuff.

HDR allows more colours to be on screen. It will give you whiter whites and blacker blacks. You may have seen on some TV's that in dark scenes in movies or games blacks can often seem more like greys. Another example would be if you look at the sun outside it makes you squint because of how bright it is. HDR can also achieve the same effect. (of course its not as bright as the sun, but you get the idea)

If your current TV is HD then it supports 1080p which is 1920x1080 pixels on screen. 4K is roughly 4x that amount so 4x the detail.

johncalmc

Sounds like a wise move. I've no doubt I'll end up going and then coming back a grand lighter. I'm supposed to be a buying a cross trainer but I'm sure my girlfriend will understand if I buy a massive new telly instead.

johncalmc

Twitter:

crippyd

@johncalmc If you pick up this month's What Hi-Fi it's their awards issue and I'm pretty sure they have a £500 4K large TV in it too. I upgraded my TV from 40" HD to 55" 4K and the difference is astounding, size and quality, just make sure you have enough room to sit far enough back otherwise it'll be like sitting in the front row at the cinema.

crippyd

johncalmc

@crippyd: Good thinking, Batman. I'll give that a look.

Yeah I'm concerned that I'll end up buying one that's enormous and I'll have to turn my head while watching TV. I think my screen is about eight feet from where I sit. Maybe a bit further. The surround sound that I've got is already ridiculous for the room, so I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get an ludicrous telly to match.

johncalmc

Twitter:

crippyd

@johncalmc GamesRadar have a "Best Gaming TVs you can buy" article on their site, although I don't know how to put it here. It just came up on my Twitter feed.

crippyd

Thesnipergecko

The KS8000 model shown in that article is the American KS7000 I believe. I seem to remember reading something about the US 7000 is the same as the UK KS8000. The 8000 in the UK has a different stand.

It's the model I have

BAMozzy

@Thesnipergecko: Close but the US models are branded higher - the UK 7000 is the US 8000. The UK 8000 is the US 9000. The US numbering makes more sense as the 9000, 9500 and 9800 (UK 8000, 9000 and 9500) all share the same features (and stand) with the 9000 being flat, 9500 curved and 9800 has FALD lighting but they are all essentially the same. The 7000 (or US KS8000) isn't quite so feature rich, made more to a budget (not that its 'cheap') and has the wide feet as opposed to the 'floating' stand.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.