Forums

Topic: What PS3 game(s) are you currently playing?

Posts 1,201 to 1,220 of 1,674

Bentleyma

@nessisonett Xrd -Sign- can be difficult. There are several difficulties to choose from and tutorial and practice modes, so it does a good job of catering to all skill levels.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger haha sounds like a legend. Unfortunately I don't have any positive memories, just my PS3 booting up and being bombarded with the awful "doo-doo-doo-doo-d-doo" every time!

I wish I could put the Vita installation files into a folder. I have them downloaded onto the ps3 for posterity but it takes ages to scroll down through them all to get to my folders with actual PS3 games in.

I've just checked the page for Arkham Origins, I do own the season pass. I bought the game sealed so it had some deathstroke DLC in it and then I bought the season pass on the store. The only thing that doesn't show up as purchased is the black mask challenge pack. It's £1.69 so could be worth getting just for completions sake but to be honest I don't really like the Arkham games that much. I played half of Asylum a while after it came out and found it really boring. But I've always felt I should give them a fair shake so I played Origins + DLC on PS3 and Origins Blackgate 3DS a couple years ago with an eye to playing asylum/city/knight at some point but have yet to actually get around to those 3 games. I enjoyed origins slightly more than Asylum but I still don't think it's my cup of tea. The challenge maps being my least favourite part of the game makes me wonder if the black mask DLC is worth it. Maybe if I could actually play as Black Mask then it would be good lol but I suspect I can't.

Toy Home isn't on the list of PSminis on Wikipedia. I wonder if they are just smaller games Sony published to get them on to the system 🤷‍♂️

I fixed up my Dualshock 3 last night so I could actually play some games without random button presses hindering my enjoyment. I gave it a good clean and wrapped some tape around the piece of felt that holds the contacts on the flexible plastic circuit board down onto the main solid circuit board which fixed the random button presses issue (YouTube is our friend 😅). I even fixed up the gammy, leaking malformed analog stick. I think because it was broken anyway, it was quite easy to get the rubber bit off and then I used alcohol to clean off all this stupid melting glue, pushed down the protruding bit of plastic and put it back on, looks much better now! God knows why Sony used glue to assemble this pad, it's so pointless, messy and has a short shelf life. The rubber doesn't move or spin at all even after I removed the glue!

I started playing that Ghost Recon Future Soldier last night which was a ps plus game a few years ago. It's ok, not really my thing but should provide a bit of light entertainment for the next few days. Ive finished the first two levels so far

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Oh blimey, if you're not an Arkham fan then don't spend any more money on Origins than you already have. You don't play as Black Mask in the challenge pack (the only other playable character aside from ol' Batsy himself is Deathstroke, who you've already got) so you're not missing much. I can't even remember which specific challenge maps were considered "his" because the game just blends them all together in the Batcave anyway. You've got more than enough already!

Hmm, weird. Wonder what Toy Home was then, although there's no law against Sony releasing a bunch of smaller games to pad out its store. Maybe it was early digital days and they needed a couple of quick-and-dirty exclusives to try and sell the service (he says, knowing nothing about Toy Home and its actual quality; you might've just uncovered a hidden masterpiece).

The only time I've ever seen the inside of a DualShock3 is when I crushed one in my hands, so I didn't stick around to poke around. Glue sounds a weird choice, though! Especially since a controller is gonna get real warm in people's hands, which I'd imagine would only soften the glue.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger you crushed one in your hands?! Are you secretly the Hulk?! Yeah the rumble motors are glued in too, so weird! They're not glued in on the DS4, not sure about the sticks on that though.

It's probably not a game I intend to revisit. I did play through the whole campaign and the cold heart expansion. I can't remember if I did all of the "Initiation" DLC because it was just challenge maps but I gave it a crack. Need to get on Arkham asylum at some point in the next year or so. It's annoying because I love Batman, just not a huge fan of slow paced third person brawlers that are over 8 hours in length. I did stick out 8 God of War games though so there's hope for Arkham yet!

Fudge knows about Toy Home, I'll give you a shout when I've played it as it was another PS Plus game on my spreadsheet 😅

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny I got rage. It's why I don't like difficult games.

Speaking of, some of the "Initiation" challenge maps in Arkham Origins are infuriating, so I don't blame you for skipping them. The concept is neat, but the cutscenes linking them all together are very short and light, so it's nothing essential. With any luck, the games will click with you eventually. Asylum and Origins are my two favourites, so you're in good company to get started.

And yes, please do! I'll restrain my curiosity and let you discover its wonders first, methinks!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger oh really? I never would have guessed! I am sorry to hear that. I guess? Is someone else being angry something to be sorry to hear? 😅 It's just a natural emotion. Pick a suitable response and assign it to me because I feel like my foot is entering my mouth 😂

Will do, but don't let it put you off, I've read Toy Home is a rather short affair! Also I do wonder if the developers of it would be proud to have inspired 7 whole message board posts about the game in 2021!

See ya!

ralphdibny

@TheFrenchiestFry omdz, I wonder if they were inspired by the huge influx of money coming in as people picked up their final purchases.

Can't say I don't feel gutted that I've rushed to buy a load of stuff during a financially difficult time. I wish they'd just stuck to it really, unless they have plans to incorporate the purchases into the PS4/5 store in an effort to maintain our purchases across generations for some future backwards compatibility feature. Obviously that would be the most ideal outcome.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Dude, you spent all that time and money on your PS3, and then... ouch. I know I'm speaking as somebody who spread the load, but try not to regret what you've done. It's clear Sony are figuring out the future of their services right now, so who's to say this'll even stick? Whatever they do, you know you've got a bulletproof collection of games to enjoy, at your own leisure, and not to a corporate schedule.

And don't worry, I got what you meant about my rage! In hindsight, it was pretty funny (and painful; that plastic gets sharp when shattered). I'm convinced it must've been a defective build because sure, I used to be pretty fit and strong, but surely not controller-crushing strong!

We should print out these posts, bind them and send them to the Toy Home developers!

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

Well god damn, finally got around to starting God of War: Ghost of Sparta and I just managed to beat a section before I hung up the pad which I found extremely tough... maybe top 5 toughest gaming moments for me. So glad I managed it before I logged off as it would’ve been hanging over me all evening.

Good game, as I think all of the old God of War games are that I’ve tried so far. Wouldn’t say it’s ‘better’ than the original or Chains of Olympus but probably just as good. Hoping to pop the plat relatively early tomorrow as I want to start MGS3 as early as possible.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger thanks, yeah I mainly feel a laughable disappointment really. I go between wishing I had my money back so I can spend more time looking for better deals on physical (they do happen occasionally!) and just thinking exactly what you've said, I've got a load of potentially great games waiting for me when I'm ready. I might tick a few more off the list anyway while I'm on a spree (looking at that House of the dead bundle of 3, 4 and overkill)

I just tried crushing my DS3 under my admittedly weak grip. I never give firm handshakes because I don't like germs and I loathe the member-measuring power play of those who think it's a good idea to crush everyone's hands when they meet them. But yeah anyway lol it wouldn't crush. I reckon I could snap it in the middle though? Not keen to try it haha

This is the Toy Home Dev:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Republic

Thankfully it's a rather short entry but it may be of slight yet unfulfilling interest. I can just imagine them receiving our forum posts and reading our confused bemusement with their own confused bemusement!

See ya!

colonelkilgore

Still adding to my PS3 backlog even though it’s something I’ve promised myself many times that I would no longer do... just picked up Enslaved for £2.

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny I've heard good things about those House of the Dead games so, if you've got one more spend left in you, they might not be the worst way to cap off this sorry saga.

Oh yeah, it's not worth trying! Not unless you're wearing protective gloves! From what I recall, I might've pushed down on the weaker plastic between the D-Pad and face buttons with my thumbs, and they caved in. I think I also twisted it, which shattered the middle, and then the underside grips gave way and that, combined with some of the innards, is what cut my palms to pieces. There's a lot of gap-filling guesswork there, though, as my recollection was rather clouded by rage, followed by genuine astonishment. Followed by "Ow!" and then "I'd better not get any blood on these jeans."

@colonelkilgore It's such a shame Enslaved didn't sell well. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and would've loved to see its planned sequel get released.

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@RogerRoger I never played it but have only ever heard positive things. In terms of gameplay and ‘gameplay-loop’ what other games would you liken it too?

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@colonelkilgore It's got bits of everything in, really, but it's still a linear third-person action adventure at the end of the day, so expect a healthy dose of clinging to white-painted ledges. The combat has a little melee and a little shooting, and there's a nifty little hoverboard thing, but there's also a key gameplay component which I can't mention for spoiler reasons.

Think something like Uncharted meets God of War, via Ico and Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@RogerRoger cool, sounds fairly intriguing. Always enjoyed the various versions of the Into the West narrative too... so interested to play this version.

**** DLC!

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger haha nice, I really can't imagine you doing this though (not just because I don't know what you look like 😅). You always seem so level headed, it's good to see another side of you!

The most my games get from me is expletive ridden rants which make feel better and also make me laugh (because I'm that sad that I find myself funny 😅) I have a couple of go to phrases when I'm feeling less creative though like "F---! F---! F---! F---!...." For when I have to keep retrying a notoriously difficult bit of platforming (which I find fun) and a "This is bulls---!" For when some tedious repetitive combat is slowing me down (which I don't find fun). But yeah, I'm normally more creative 😂. Think AVGN but with a healthy dose of British vernacular. Thankfully not smashed anything though, that I can think of off the top of my head anyway. My original DS was taped together with masking tape after my old housemate knocked it off my bed back when I was at uni and the two halves separated!

See ya!

RogerRoger

@colonelkilgore It's been on my "should replay someday" list for a while. Let me know what you think, as my fond memories might be a little rose-tinted.

@ralphdibny Well, at least I'm projecting what I wanna project, then!

Funny you mention that, because laughter has become my default reaction now, to prevent a repeat of previous incidents. I've adopted an extreme form of modesty about my gaming skills (which aren't actually that bad; they're not great, but they're better than I'm comfortable admitting) so that, when I screw up, I can accept defeat a little easier and laugh at myself. In my head, that's better than going in the other direction, and ending up thinking arrogant things like "Well, I should be able to beat this, but I can't right now, so it must be the game's fault." That way leads madness.

And I hope your old housemate at least paid for the masking tape to fix your DS, by the way! I've broken my own stuff, but I'd never break (and have never broken) somebody else's stuff like that!

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@RogerRoger well it’ll probably be a while until I actually get to it but I’ll be sure to tag you once I’ve played through it.

**** DLC!

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger ahh he's alright, just gave me an excuse to finally upgrade to a 3DS (as well as the eventual price drop the 3DS had). I think I'd had the DS for like 7 years at that point lol. Besides, I quite liked it when it was taped up, it kind of had that rag tag do-anything-to-keep-it-going look to it!

You should see my car 😂. I've only got a bit of windscreen rubber lining taped down with duct tape on this one but my previous car had its rear bumper taped up on one side because of an unfortunate incident with a bollard. I will go in to detail because it was no simple crash 😅. I reversed into a bay to turn around at a site I was working at (random place because I am a contractor) and either the metal bollard that blocked the space was already bent over, it was too low to see or it was an automatic one that the security just happened to put up as I was reversing into the bay. Either way it got stuck right into my rear wheel arch which was a total ball ache because if I'd driven away full power it would have taken off the back end of my car. Luckily there was some unmanned road works near by and they had a bunch of paving slabs stacked up so I borrowed a few of them and made like a steep set of steps that my car could reverse up. I had to reverse up one to get the height, add another slab, reverse a bit more, add another slab and so forth. Eventually I unhooked myself from this bent and mangled bollard, returned the paving slabs and parked as far away as I could. Not sure if they had me on CCTV but security didn't say anything when I arrived but I was ready to defend my debacle with claims of a poorly placed/broken bollard that damaged my car just in case 😅. Luckily I never heard anything back about that!

It's good to laugh off your frustrations (talking about games now, not fights between automobiles and bollards!). There's other stuff that affects it too like fatigue. I've noticed in the past that it can take hours to do something in a game late at night but it's achieved easily the next morning. I know now that if I keep failing and it's gone midnight then it's probably just time to hang up the controller and try again tomorrow.

Not necessarily relevant but I just got reminded of when the Godfather came out on the Wii and I fell asleep while playing it, I woke up like half an hour later to a honking noise and my old fashioned vehicle was planted firmly into the side of a building. I also remember staying up late one night drinking with my mate and for some reason we started a 90 minute game of FIFA 2000 on PS1 (I hate football but love this particular iteration of FIFA because it's so arcade-y even though the rest of the series is painfully boring to me). Anyway after about 20 minutes and 30 goals (I said it was very arcade-y!) We both started to fall asleep and for the next hour and a bit would just randomly wake up and score a goal or two and fall back to sleep. But yeah, sorry for the trips down memory lane, they just popped into my mind so I thought I'd share!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic