Forums

Topic: Team Microtransactions (MTX) PS3 Library Deliberation Thread

Posts 281 to 300 of 597

ZeD

@themcnoisy I think we have got 6 games left to sort.
Been away from my laptop all week with it being Easter.

G-Force Eurocom
Gladiator VS Acquire
The Godfather: The Don's Edition EA Redwood Shores
The Godfather II EA Redwood Shores
Grease Dance Zoë Mode
Guilty Gear Xrd Arc System Works

Edited on by ZeD

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

HallowMoonshadow

Current listing is as follows

VERY IMPORTANT

God of War III SCE Santa Monica Studio

Grand Theft Auto IV Rockstar North

Grand Theft Auto V Rockstar North

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Neversoft

IMPORTANT

Ghostbusters: The Video Game Terminal Reality / Threewave Software

God of War Collection SCE Santa Monica Studio / Bluepoint Games

God of War: Origins Collection SCE Santa Monica Studio / Ready at Dawn

Gran Turismo 5 Polyphony Digital

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Polyphony Digital

EXISTING

God of War: Ascension SCE Santa Monica Studio

God of War Saga SCE Santa Monica Studio

Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City Rockstar North

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Rockstar North

GRID Autosport Codemasters

Gran Turismo 6 Polyphony Digital

NOT IMPORTANT

The Guided Fate Paradox Nippon Ichi Software, Inc

Grand Slam Tennis 2 EA Canada

POINTLESS

Golden Axe: Beast Rider Secret Level

Germany's Next Top Model 2011 dtp entertainment AG

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra Double Helix Games

The Golden Compass Shiny Entertainment

GoldenEye 007: Reloaded Activision

Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters Double Helix Games

Green Day: Rock Band Harmonix / Demiurge Studios

Guardians of Middle-Earth Monolith Productions

Godzilla (2014 video game) Natsume

Six games unlisted

G-Force Eurocom

Gladiator VS Acquire

The Godfather: The Don's Edition EA Redwood Shores

The Godfather II EA Redwood Shores

Grease Dance Zoë Mode

Guilty Gear Xrd Arc System Works

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

Want me to look at anything @ZeD ?

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ZeD

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy still away from laptop (currently mobile)
The Grease game is Pointless, looks like Move shovel ware.
Gforce, probably pointless?
Gladiator, pointless. Might as well be a Japanese only game?
Guily gear, no idea..
Don't want to comment on Godfather as I have never seem the films and reviews compare them to the films...

ZeD

HallowMoonshadow

@ZeD

Guilty Gear Xrd I'd say is important... good reviews, rebooted the guilty gear franchise, Arcsys games are always nice and tight and well animated

Godfather one has a positive response, open worldy with most of the actors back with improvements from the wii and 360 versions. I'd say Existing

Godfather 2 was poorly received. I'd go with not important

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

HallowMoonshadow

Will do👍

HallowMoonshadow

Team Micro Transactions (MTX)

@ZeD @Ralizah
@leucocyte @LieutenantFatman
@Rudy_Manchego

Here's our week 6 Games!

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational Clap Hanz
Hot Wheels World's Best Driver Firebrand Games
The House of the Dead: Overkill Headstrong Games
How to Train Your Dragon Étranges Libellules
How to Train Your Dragon 2 Torus Games
Hunted: The Demon's Forge Bethesda Softworks
Hyperdimension Neptunia Idea Factory, Compile Heart
Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2 Idea Factory, Compile Heart
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory Idea Factory, Compile Heart
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs Eurocom
Ice Age: Continental Drift – Arctic Games Behaviour Interactive
Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection Team Ico
IHF Handball Challenge 14 Neutron Games
IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Gaijin Entertainment
The Incredible Hulk Edge of Reality
inFAMOUS Sucker Punch Productions
inFAMOUS 2 Sucker Punch Productions
Infinite Stratos 2: Ignition Hearts 5pb.
Injustice: Gods Among Us NetherRealm Studios
International Cricket 2010 Trickstar Games
Initial D Extreme Stage Sega Rosso
Inversion Saber Interactive
Invizimals: The Lost Kingdom Magenta Software, Novarama
Iron Man Secret Level
Iron Man 2 Sega
Iron Sky Invasion Reality Pump
J-Stars Victory Vs Spike Chunsoft
Jak and Daxter Collection Naughty Dog
James Bond 007: Blood Stone Bizarre Creations
Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters Trickstar Games
Just Dance Kids Land Ho!
Just Dance Kids 2 Land Ho!

HallowMoonshadow

So I've played a few of the games this week... I'm a touch embarrassed at having played the Neptunia games.

I didn't honestly research them and the collection was available for £20 when i was really tight for money... I thought was a good deal for a bunch of JRPG's. Oh boy 😅

Though I'm curious of why you @ZeD have given the Jak collection a 5 and you @Ralizah the ico and SotC collection a 5?

If this was about the games in general I'd definitely give them 4's or 5's.

But seeing as both of them are just ports of PS2 games without any additional features (as far as I'm aware on the ico and SotC one, i don't recall the Jak one having anything) I couldn't give them anything more then an 3 - existing.

For any of those collections in fact including the metal gear solid one (MGS3 is one of my favourite games of all time)

Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong though! Just genuinely curious why you'd rate the PS3 versions so highly as y'know... they're ports not the original release

Rudy_Manchego

Hi all, Really sorry to have been utterly usless. Was away over Easter with the patchiest internet connection. I made a few comments on threads but could not get that excel to open on my phone.

I am back at work today with a laptop and contact with the outside world. Are there any titles that anyone needs me to research? EDIT - just read the full thread and have missed out entirely. Sigh.

AGain sorry for being a useless team member.

Edited on by Rudy_Manchego

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

HallowMoonshadow

@Rudy_Manchego

It happens to all of us so no worries, glad to have you back

ZeD

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy
So my real console gaming hobby did not start until the Wii/PS3/XBOX360 when I could start to afford the consoles and games myself.
We had a PS1 but I mainly played Crash, Spyro and Fifa on that. Heck, I have only played FF7 and that was about 7 years ago.
So, the Jak collection on the PS3 was my first venture into the series and it was fantastic. So, it deserves a 5 in my books. The same could be said for the remastered PS4 port currently and many other games on the current gen (ie Bioshock, would you mark the collection down if it was the 1st time you played it but it was on a more modern console?)
I will admit, it does raise a very interesting conversation as I recall a few games being marked on their current console version (Destiny rings a bell) 😎

ZeD

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah when we did the cod games a few weeks back, some of them were cross gen but we only took the PS3 version into account @ZeD like black ops 3 was missing the story entirely on PS3 or something so it was marked down because of it

Normally I'd agree with you on the score (I like Jak & Daxter and have very fond memories of Jak 2) ... But seeing as it's supposed to be only be about the PS3 library I just can't rate them any higher...

Same would apply to me if I was rating dragon's dogma on PS4 or anything else that got ported over from the PS3 to it without any new features.

Last week team knack had FFX & FFX-2 HD and the only reason I gave a weigh in on that being an important was because of the additional features that were otherwise relegated to a Japan only re-release for PS2... it was the first time the content had come to the west.

It's nice you got to play them though and normally I wouldn't question your score of them or anyone who is playing any game for the first time on more recent hardware or anything...

Unless I'm taking the context of ranking the PS3 library in of itself too rigidly

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I'd argue that the ports of Ico/SotC kept the legacy of Team Ico alive through an entire TLG-less generation. They're also the best versions of these classic games (putting aside the recent remake of SotC) and, unlike the PS2 versions, actually maintain a solid framerate. They might not push the hardware like the PS2 versions, but I'd argue that they're on the hardware they really belonged on in the first place (the PS2 versions are influential, but one thing that hurts those for me is the sub-"cinematic" framerate they often run at). The PS3 ports totally supersede the PS2 versions.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

Yeah, it would be nice to come to a consensus on this, for all of us (speaking of how to gauge a game that is a remake, port, or cross-gen). We have run into a few times and are likely to continue to have games that appear on other consoles.

My take: if the franchise or game is fairy transcendent, then that should be part of the equation when ranking the game. Skyrim comes to mind. The PS3 game was the most broken of the many releases that it’s had, but can anyone deny the importance and impact of Skyrim in general? No matter how badly it stumbled out of the gate, I feel calling it less than ‘very important’ would be strange indeed.
Now for ports from an earlier gen console or device, the same would apply. I like the question, “Did the PS3 version bring anything new to the table?” In some cases that may be new gameplay or remastered controls and visuals, but in some cases that may merely be to expose a masterful game to a new audience. So in the case of the Jak collection, Zed (and surely many like him) would have never experienced Jak without the PS3 release. So we have to give some credit there to the PS3 release for influencing the gaming culture, despite it not adding new content. Does that make sense?
So, imo, the Jak re-releases on PS4 did not really ring as very important, unlike the PS3 releases. I don’t think they have created much buzz on the current gen and I feel like they didn’t expand on the games to any significant degree or create a new fan base for the game, so I doubt many would place the PS4 versions of the J & D games on their top 10 lists.
For some of the run of the mill re-releases that never really impacted gaming culture, like mobile games, PSP or DS ports and the like - I would argue that if the PS3 release was not influential at all, then that needs to be factored in to dropping its importance. I think the Dragons Dogma example is probably a fair one, in that the PS4 remaster version really didn’t push it forward and wasn’t nearly as significant to gaming culture. But much of this is personal opinion of course and I’m open to guidance from the masses. In the end, those who played the actual PS3 version of the game are prone to be the ones we should defer to as far as how it seemed to influence them.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

Excellent points @Th3solution I forgot there was a PS4 port of the Jak and Daxter PS3 releases so I suppose you're right in that the PS3 versions are probably more important

And fair enough @Ralizah ! Good points

Rudy_Manchego

Quick update, I have made my scores for the games I have played. WIll go through some of the more obscure ones this afternoon when I get a second.

I would agree with @Ralizah on the rating of these remasters - SOTC and Ico remasters both had a big part of maintaining the legacy of the game, particularly for other people. I would also argue that this had a big legacy impact on porting of older games to PS4 - the PS3 era started that trend in a lot of ways. I don't think we would have the excellent remake on PS4 without it.

As an aside, the SOTC/Ico physical edition on PS3 has actually retained some value and isn't that cheap (compared to most PS3 games) to buy.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

mookysam

With remasters there are several things I think we need to consider.

For me, a good game is a good game, so the first question to be answered is is this game good? From there, what was the original game's importance and influence? Last week my team got Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, and the original game was such a landmark, important release, not to mention a wonderful title in its own right, that to consider it anything less than very important would not give the game the credit it deserves.

Secondly, what is is the quality of the remaster itself and does it add anything? For example, some remasters are little more than upscaled ports, such as the cheap and cheerful Ubisoft releases. Others, are proper HD conversions, such as Bluepoint's work on Ico/Shadow of the Colossus and Metal Gear Solid. Others still, such as Square-Enix's Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts collections completely redraw textures, replace models and even reorchestrate music. The quality of the remaster may be such that it is the very best way to play a game. Even if it is through simple things such as stabilising or increasing frame rates. For example, Shadow of the Colossus had a rather fowl, sluggish frame rate on the PS2, but the remaster ironed it out. That arguably renders it the best way to play the game.
As for adding things, this could include artwork galleries, or even more substantial gameplay additions. Or, as with Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts (and as @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy pointed out), include content that is coming to western territories for the first time, so is entirely new content for us.

The final thing to consider is that yes, we are talking PS2 games, but there is a whole generation of younger gamers for whom this will be the first time playing them - especially if the originals cannot be obtained or easily played. I'm 34 next month and have been playing games consistently since I was 7; but what about users here in their early 20's or late teens where the PS3 was their first console? Are we looking at games in a PS3 vacuum or considering the whole context and history?

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.