Forums

Topic: Team Microtransactions (MTX) PS3 Library Deliberation Thread

Posts 501 to 520 of 597

ZeD

@LieutenantFatman stuck with not real Internet until Sunday so my contribution :

Virtua Fighter 5 Sega-AM2 NA
The Walking Dead Telltale Games 5
The Walking Dead: Season Two Telltale Games 4
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct Activision Na
Vanquish PlatinumGames Na
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Naughty Dog 4

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

Ralizah

@ZeD It helps that we got actual games this time instead of piles of shovelware (which, unfortunately, goes along with ranking the entire library of any system). I'll leave this here for a day or two to see if anyone else wants to chime in, then I'll submit it.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

leucocyte

i've played all of our small list this week, except for virtua fighter. i've added my scores to the spreadsheet.. there were a couple i felt i'd probably rate somewhere between two scores.. so i've gone with the lower option for now.

leucocyte

themcnoisy

@LieutenantFatman @ZeD @Ralizah @leucocyte thanks for getting back team.

@Zed have a great time in Cornwall. I lived in Cornwall for about 14 months and registered to marry in St Austell. Then lived in Devon before coming back to Merseyside. Amazing place to visit. Have fun bro.

@LieutenantFatman Thank you for being honest mate. Its no problem at all and you have contributed loads so thank you so far.

@Ralizah Thank you for tracking all of the results. Great system you have in place. Thank you for the update.

@leucocyte thank you for contributing so far mate. VF5 is a beast.

The offer still stands though we are dead close to the end of this round and as the numbers have dropped we would all be better off in just 2 teams with 5 regular contributers rather than 2,3 or 4. Similar to what happened with my own team a few weeks back if you need to do something in real life there isn't anyone to pick up the slack. Let me know how you feel - Ralizah and Zed you can jon up in ADFs team. Fatman and leucocyte can help cover in 303.

Edited on by themcnoisy

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Th3solution

I hope @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy is doing okay. She contributed a lot initially and was full of energy for the project. Then she just disappeared.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@Th3solution I've wondered about her, too, but sometimes people just have to drop off the face of the Earth for a while.

Hopefully it's just being busy with life and not related to the sickness she was apparently dealing with.

Ralizah

@ZeD Just did. Thanks for the reminder.

Ralizah

Any advice about which games I should pick for our team?

EDIT: Too late. Here's our list.

Strider (2014 video game) Capcom
Super Street Fighter IV Capcom / Dimps
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition Capcom / Dimps
Syberia Microïds
Tales of Graces ƒ Namco Tales Studio
Tales of Xillia Namco Tales Studio
Tales of Xillia 2 Namco Bandai Games
Tales of Zestiria Namco Bandai Games
Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord Aquaplus
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Danger of the Ooze WayForward Technologies
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan' PlatinumGames
Tekken 6 Namco Bandai
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Namco
Teslagrad Slightly Mad Studios
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified 2k Marin
The Darkness Starbreeze Studios
The Darkness II Digital Extremes
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes Frogwares
Thief Eidos Montréal
Time Crisis 4 Nex Entertainment
Time Crisis: Razing Storm Nex Entertainment
Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters Arc System Works, Aksys Games, NIS America
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas Ubisoft Montreal
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent Ubisoft Shanghai
Tomb Raider Crystal Dynamics
The Tomb Raider Trilogy Crystal Dynamics
Tomb Raider: Underworld Crystal Dynamics
Toy Story 3: The Video Game Avalanche Software
Toy Story Mania Disney Interactive Studios
Transformers: Devastation PlatinumGames

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

Offering my thoughts on Tomb Raider (and other things) as promised.

Tomb Raider (2013 Reboot) was a risk for the franchise, with a lot of fans (myself included) swearing never to play it. Happy to hold my hands up and admit my mistake; sure, it does go pretty far in terms of the gore and other "mature" content, but there's still a core experience buried beneath all the dark grey promotional artwork that's befitting Lara Croft and her origin story. It expands an incredibly brief plot point from Tomb Raider Legend to a grand scale; a young Lara is left abandoned in a hostile environment and must learn to survive. Is there too much emphasis on action? Yes. Does it shy away from a lot of Lara's iconic traits too much? You bet. But it's a gorgeous, atmospheric experience (especially on PS3, running great from start to finish) that isn't frightened of shaking up a well-established global brand, and two successful sequels (plus a Hollywood adaptation) speak for themselves. Not my favourite, but worthy of an "Important" ranking nonetheless.

The Tomb Raider Trilogy consists of Tomb Raider Legend, Tomb Raider Anniversary and Tomb Raider Underworld all squeezed onto one disc (with a free XMB theme, too!). The third and final part of the trilogy I'll discuss below, but the first two games are upgraded versions of their PS2 counterparts (basically, the same as the Xbox360 ports with some extra graphical flourishes here and there, with only Legend showing its age with a handful of blurry textures and a few framerate flutters). Despite featuring a remake of the 1996 original halfway through, this trilogy is a coherent narrative from start to finish; the flashback frames important developments (and surprise appearances) that drive a reasonably weighty family tale, albeit with an action-adventure tone more akin to a Bond film than the franchise's new, darker direction. Lara herself, played to perfection by Keeley Hawes, is recognisable as a fully-formed heroine, not opposed to a cheeky quip or the occasional swan dive in between personal revelations or 24-esque plot twists. Motorbike moments, QTEs and grand set-pieces help keep the pace flowing, although the faithful Anniversary remake does feel quite lonely and haunting in parts, especially when compared to the more varied and dialogue-heavy Legend. The value for money of this single Blu-Ray is worth the highest of honours in and of itself, even without considering it the last hurrah of a more traditional Tomb Raider experience. Because of this, I'd personally promote a "Very Important" consideration.

Tomb Raider Underworld was the first of Lara's adventures to make it to PS3 and, as such, Crystal Dynamics wanted it to feel next-gen at launch. The first level is therefore a vast underwater temple which dramatically looms out of the deep as you start swimming towards it, setting an impressive precedent of epic scale for the concluding part of the Keeley Hawes trilogy. The sheer size of the environments can be overwhelming at times, even when you're occasionally given a motorbike to use (not restricted to its own levels this time) but you'll quickly tune your senses to recognise the clever contextual hints dotted about, like the jellyfish which always congregate near doorways. Back on dry land, Lara's abilities have also been extensively upgraded, allowing you to traverse cliffs and ruins like a Haribo-fuelled gazelle. Whilst there is one narrative thread deliberately left hanging (for Xbox-exclusive DLC, alas) everything wraps itself up satisfyingly enough, and the PS3 port performs respectably throughout, even if it isn't the smoothest thing you'll ever play. Critics were cool towards Underworld at launch, but I'd argue for its "Important" status when taken as a standalone game.

Also, for your consideration, I point you towards my recent tirade against Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent as evidence for a "Not Important" / "Pointless" ranking.

I've also played Toy Story 3: The Video Game and found it to be a charming-yet-technically-challenged affair, with frequent framerate tanking and nice ideas poorly implemented. Toy Box Mode should've been a game-changer but a clunky interface and limited guidance makes it difficult to really let yourself go (but some have pointed to it as an early precursor to Disney Infinity, for whatever that's worth). One to call "Existing" and move on from, I'd say.

Hope this all helps!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

You guys have 2 of the most important games on the PS3 in this grouping imo. Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade edition (basically the best version of the best fighting game ever made). I can't emphasise how much SF4 reinvigorated a dieing genre. The controls are perfect, it introduced mechanics which games this gen are still using. Sony even announced an exclusivity deal on the back of its success as both a product and its esport.

The Darkness is a compelling game. In my mind its the sequel to escape from butcher Bay on the original xbox as they both feature amazing worlds, characters, lore and they are both a dark brooding mix of stealth, melee and fps combat. I've just taken a look at the reviews and I completely agree with the scores in the 90s. The lower rated reviews are a disgrace imo. It is important for multiple reasons.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

mookysam

Tales of Grace f is my favourite PS3 game and I'd happily rank it among my all-time favourites. I guess I was in a bit of a gaming rut when I played it and was having a difficult time with my disability getting worse. Playing it just made me happy and snapped me right out of the rut.

Originally a Wii release and exclusive to Japan, after disappointing sales the game was ported to the PS3. It has a few new additions including an exclusive epilogue chapter. Graces f surely deserves some credit for revitalising the genre on consoles in the West. It was an unexpected success for Bandai Namco, and led them to localise more games in the series and genre. I still believe this had a chain effect on other publishers.

The battle system is the very best in any Tales game to date. Rather than having and consuming "TP" (Tales answer to MP) distinct from basic attacks, in Graces all actions - including basic attacks - now use points called "CC". A superficial name change I hear you cry! However, unlike TP there is only a very limited amount (3 to begin with though this can be expanded). Points constantly recharge when blocking and through performing combos. This makes combat feel much more deliberate and weighty. The real hook appears when chaining attacks into combos - one basic attack or spell allows you to then perform another, more powerful (let's call it stage two) move and so on until a powerful finisher is performed. Through all this here is a real flow and fluidity to battle. It's very, very good.

The second component that feeds into the gameplay loop is obtaining "titles". These are mostly gained through completing various battle actions, so the process of obtaining them becomes a very addictive part of the game.
Titles have long been a feature of Tales games, and their utility ranged from minor stat increases upon levelling up to simply being superficial or bringing comedic value. However, in Graces they are extremely important in that they each confer a stat bonus or ability to each character. As with other games in the series you can only set one at a time, so will constantly change them depending on the situation. For example, when battling a powerful dragon you may wish to set titles that lessen fire damage or increase defence and so on.

Graces f was criticised for its presentation, characters and story, though I think this was a actually little unfair. It's a Tales game through and through, and the more clichéd aspects are always part of the charm of the series. I myself loved every aspect of the game. The story is simple, but sweet (although the villain's voice made me laugh and I was bemused by how naïve the protagonist is), the characters are nice and the world, despite its simple Wii origins, is colourful with attractively designed towns. Unlike previous Tales games up to that point the world eschews an overworld map in favour of largely linear pathways between towns and cities. VERY IMPORTANT

Tales of Xillia 1 & 2 thoughts coming later!

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

LieutenantFatman

@themcnoisy
I didn't play the Arcade Edition but I agree SSF4 was excellent, really enjoyed it. You know a game is good if you enjoy playing against randoms online.

LieutenantFatman

Ralizah

Time Crisis 4
A relatively unambitious entry in the series, but it almost single-handedly held the line on light gun game representation last gen when it released.
Verdict: 2.5

Time Crisis: Razing Storm
So, this one is a bit controversial, it seems. It's a compilation. It includes Time Crisis 4, along with a spin-off that features FPS segments. There's also a different light gun game included to round out the package. All things being equal, this one is better value for money, and all the included games are supposedly pretty decent.
Verdict: 3

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.