I don't want to spoil things for those of you who haven't played Uncharted yet - although you really should be asking yourselves 'why not?'. I just want to say - right here, right now - for my weekly column, that Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is without doubt the best written video game of all time.
I really hope that in years to come, people will remember Naughty Dog's name as the first development house to truly bring story and character into games. Often a game will use story to add context to a number of levels; Uncharted 2 uses levels to tell story - and it really is a paradigm shift in the industry based on just how much the bar has been raised. The potential was always there in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, but Uncharted 2: Among Thieves brings that to the next level.
You might look at games such as Fahrenheit, Shenmue and Grand Theft Auto as other experiences that have paved Naughty Dog's path to this point. But personally, I feel Uncharted 2 is at another level. It's not just in the world and the characters, but just the simple writing. For me the acting, voice work and character development rival that of a Hollywood blockbuster; putting many to shame. Aside from the clear Indiana Jones inspiration, the performances of everyone involved are seriously breath-taking. And totally engaging.
The game's pacing is also brilliant. Mixing up the sometimes relentless pace video games are known for, Uncharted 2 is polished enough to step back from time to time - like the best movies - and give the audience a breather.
I hope Uncharted 2: Among Thieves will go down in history; not for its refined gameplay, but it's inspirational story-telling.
Twiggy is an anonymous PushSquare columnist who has been spotted in three major cities across the globe. Its rumoured hes on the run from the British monarchy who accused him of treason.
Previous entries in the Twiggy range:
- Why Is Everyone So Angry About The PSPgo?
- Playstation 3 Provides More Diversity Than Any Other System Available
- This Is How You Make The Playstation Motion Controller A Success
- The Playstation 3 Is Everywhere These Days, Somethings Changed
- Playing PSone Classics On The PSP Is The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread
- Sony Must Be Feeling Bullish After An Excellent GamesCom
- Ill Rue The Day The Singleplayer Dies
- Please Stop Extending Your Games With Annoying Treasure Hunts
- The Scope Of DLC Is Changing
- Why Do People Promote A Single System Future?
- The Digital Download vs. The Peripheral, Is The Video Game Industry Moving In Separate Directions?
- The Ideas Presented In Mirrors Edge & Red Faction Guerrilla Will End Up Everywhere
- The Importance Of Exposure Against An E3 Splash: Which Is More Important?
- Sonys Wand Technology Sent Out A Fierce Message To Competitors Hours After They Comfortably Assumed Victory
- Sonys First, Second & Third Party Alliances Will Ensure A Thrilling E3 2009 Showcase
- Playstation 3 Is Platformed Out With Bionic Commando & inFamous This Week, And It Reminds Me How Much I Love Super Mario 64
- In A Year Dominated By Blockbuster Sequels, Quantic Dreams Heavy Rain Vision Could Be The Diamond In The Rough
- Heres What Id Request In The PSP Go! If I Had A Job At Sony & A Say In Such Things
- Does The Playstation 3 Need Motion-Control & How Will Sony Apply It?
- Why Did Guerillas Killzone 2 Force Me To Kill The More Interesting Good Guys? I Hate The ISA!
- Sonys E3 2009 Press Conference Could Be The Biggest In History & A Turning Point In Software Perception
- A Playstation 3 Pricecut Could Cripple Sony So Stop Asking For It