Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 681 to 700 of 1,585

Haruki_NLI

And here it is.

Had to put it up late after a sudden late shift at work.

I like it. Now I just need shelves for all the retro games I keep buying.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@KratosMD Detention is pretty cool. Granted, the gameplay is nothing to write home about, but I love the nuanced and surprisingly emotional story, fascinating historical setting, and incredibly eerie imagery and symbolism. It's very much "art horror," but it never felt pretentious to me.

Such a pity that their subsequent horror game Devotion was censored by the Chinese and will likely never see the light of day again.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

@KratosMD Corpse Party is superb. The sound design, in particular, is incredible.

Just... one thing. The game utilizes 3D audio, and you only get that effect if you wear headphones or earbuds. So I HIGHLY urge you to play with headphones or earbuds connected.

Tasuki

Picked up Ducktales Remastered on the Xbox since it's will be removed here in a few days. I have it on my Wii U but my Wii U is boxed up still from moving and I have been wanting to play it again.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RogerRoger

I'm taking a risk on a supposedly "new and sealed" copy of The Simpsons Game for PS3. I only ever played it on PS2 (and subsequently gave it to my brother, for some bizarre reason because I remember liking it a lot) and could use a nostalgic, irreverant chuckle.

That led me back to the PS3's digital storefront, looking for the (unfortunately de-listed) The Simpsons Arcade Game, but instead I nabbed and downloaded...

• Conflict: Desert Storm II (PS2 Classic)
  • Just Cause (PS2 Classic)
  • Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions (PSone Classic)
  • Syphon Filter 2 (PSone Classic)
  • Syphon Filter 3 (PSone Classic)
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (PS2 Classic)

A healthy mix of random chances, some vague memories of half-decent demos from old magazine discs, and a couple I've got physical copies of but can't be certain work perfectly on the emulation software of my PS2 Slim and PS3 Super Slim (specifically the two Syphon Filter games).

Not sure there's anything else on that PS3 store I could ever want to purchase now... although I said that last time, so I'll shut right up.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KratosMD I know, it's a tad addicting. None of the games I listed above were over £10 and most were under £5 which is just nuts to me (nearly added Medal of Honour: European Assault to my basket, but it was £11.99 and I remember that one being a bit bare-bones, so I was slighted by it being the most expensive, yet potentially shortest, of the lot).

If you're gonna play original PSone discs on a PS3, there's a risk that the PS3's emulation software won't read it properly and you'll get music skipping, audio drop-out and other bugs, some of which can block progression. Unless you've got an original PSone console handy, it's always safest to get the digital version because then it's guaranteed to work beginning to end. So even whilst I can't say that I've ever played Silent Hill or Siren: Blood Curse, I'd recommend them from the PS3's store. Especially with that price comparison!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@KratosMD The original Silent Hill is the best horror game of that generation. I wholeheartedly recommend it. It has a raw scariness to it that even the excellent PS2 sequels never replicated.

And the music... my god. Check this track out:

Or the fantastic opening theme:

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Nice one! Part of me thinks that I should just cave, find a decent PSone on eBay and stop worrying but I kinda want a Nintendo64 first, as everything on there would be new to me. But thanks, I didn't realise that about version numbers; I'll do some research in future. I know that some of my games won't work regardless (which is why I have three copies of Star Wars: Episode I - Jedi Power Battles on my shelf) but if I ever encounter the issue again, I'll keep that in mind.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Dreamcast Then you can play JPB on that too - and in the original Klingon!

In all seriousness though - tread easy with the N64. I know it's generally beloved, but I found pretty much every other game I got for it was crap.

@KratosMD F.E.A.R is a great game!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@KratosMD
F.E.A.R 2 was very good - more of the same regarding the story, but gameplay was improved quite a lot (not that it was 'bad' previously, but was pretty old school feeling).

The third wasn't quite as good - but I really didn't give it as much time.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Rudy_Manchego

After wanting it for ages, I finally bought a relatively cheap copy of Metroid Fusion for the GBA. I think this is the last 2d Metroid I haven't played. I bought a really cheap copy that never actually arrived and I had to get a refund via ebay so hopefully this one goes better. I have Metroid for the GBA, Zero Mission, Super Metroid, Metroid 2 for GB and Samus Returns on 3DS.

I could have got it cheaper on VC for the Wii U but I just like playing it on my advance. Hmm maybe now is the time to go for that modded GBA with backlit screen...

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

mookysam

@KratosMD F.E.A.R. 2 is a decent shooter. Certainly not the best I've played, but it's nicely paced, gunplay is tight and you ride in a mech at one point, which is always a plus in my book. The final boss is messed up!

@Rudy_Manchego Noice! Metroid Fusion is excellent. Love the pixel art and creepy vibe.

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

Metroid Fusion is probably the most unique 2D game in the series, alongside Metroid II. Lots of dialogue, and I love the almost horror-ish tone of certain segments of the game.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Thanks for the N64 warning; I'll keep that in mind. It's mostly for licenced games anyway and I know that my love for said licences will get me through any rough patches... or at least, I hope it will.

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

Got 007 Everything or Nothing on the GameCube. Been meaning to get it for ages and am really looking forward to playing it.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@mookysam
Untitled

Hope you enjoy! Please do share your thoughts!

Making It So Since 1987

Haruki_NLI

I literally just leapt out of my seat to buy something on the CEX Website.

This order better go smoothly because oh my God this is almost the Holy Grail for things I've spent years looking for, and a game that I didn't think I would ever see in the UK.

This is the most excited I've been in weeks.

JohnnyShoulder

@Knuckles-Fajita What game is it?!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

... What is this mystery game @Knuckles-Fajita ?

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Haruki_NLI

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @JohnnyShoulder

It's too games.

The one I never expected to see in my life was Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team, which is the DS Exclusive "Third ultimate release" of BN5.

The one I've been looking for for years, is Mega Man ZX Advent, which came out right around the time Capcom stopped giving a damn about releasing Megaman stuff here, hence why we never got StarForce 3, and probably why the words Megaman and physical release dont go these days here.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic