Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 1,441 to 1,460 of 1,637

KratosMD

Been blasting through Mass Effect 2 and 3 the past month. Man, I never thought there would come a time where I'd actually put a western RPG on my list of best games I've played. Usually I find it hard to like games like Skyrim or Fallout as much as JRPGs such as Persona or Trails of Cold Steel, but I guess I've been playing the wrong games. The ME series is pretty much up there among Persona etc for me. Great world-building, great story, captivating characters, and the gameplay is so much fun.

ME2 easily had the best roster of squad members (since that was pretty much the focus of the game, i.e. completing loyalty missions in preparation for the suicide mission), while ME3 had the best story missions. The Citadel DLC was exceptional as well, great sendoff for the series.

I have Andromeda in my backlog but I highly doubt that it will ever come close to the greatness of the trilogy. I regret not playing these games much earlier, they're the best WRPGs I've experienced and I think it's due to how story-focused they are. Which is why I'm considering playing through the Witcher series next.

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

KratosMD

@ellsworth004 I wish the first Witcher game was on any console really. I actually own Witcher 2 on 360 since that's the only console that the game is available on. I'll be starting with it first and then continue on with Witcher 3.

KratosMD

Thrillho

@KratosMD I never played the first or second games and don’t feel I missed out on much. Lots of people who played TW3 said the second game plays terribly after playing 3 so don’t get put off by it!

Thrillho

KratosMD

@Thrillho Well I thought it would be a good idea to play through the entire trilogy in order to grow a strong attachment to the characters like I've been doing with the ME trilogy. That way I would enjoy the later games even more than if I had jumped straight into the third one. But I'm content with playing 2/3 games at least.

KratosMD

Frigate

Hitman Absolution. Brilliant game that still looks beautiful and plays wonderfully on PS4 with really nice flow and pacing. One of an extremely limited number of games I like to play on hard difficulty too.

Frigate

KratosMD

Just finished Lara Croft GO on Vita. Awesome game, loved how it captured the feeling of the mainline TR games perfectly as a smartphone title. For €2 it was definitely worth the price.

I'm most likely going to try and get the Platinum trophy with this one. It seems simple enough and I'd still like to play the bonus chapters.

KratosMD

BridgeToClarity

The past two weeks I finished plats on AC Odyssey, AC 2, The Order 1886, and LA Noire. All PS4.

I also played and finished the free game What Remains of Edith Finch. This is my favorite out of anything I've played in a long time. The most awesome 3 hours of gaming I've had in a long time. 10/10 for me.

BridgeToClarity

RogerRoger

@Frigate Nice to meet another fan of Absolution. Many dismiss or unfairly criticise it, but I think they kinda miss the point. I loved revisiting it on PS4 (most certainly the definitive version) and am proud of my platinum.

Yesterday I completed my replay of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. I did the same as I did before; during the last two chapters, I completely forgot about Photo Mode because I was simply having way, way too much fun. Whilst it does play as a kinda "greatest hits" (the Jeep chase from 4, the train fight from 2, etc.) none of it feels stale because of the fine-tuned pacing and perfectly-timed character moments from Chloe and Nadine... seriously, that train level outstayed its welcome in 2, but here it works as a stunning crescendo to an incredible slice of action/adventure. There isn't a single wasted moment in this game, and that's why it's probably my favourite (sorry, 3).

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I agree the train level really did outstay its welcome!

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder I know, right? I kinda think that about all of Uncharted 2, though, so I often feel like I'm being unfairly harsh on it, but I felt like it could've ended once they went into the tunnel and that would've been great. The whole post-tunnel, tank turret section in the snow was unnecessary (apart from signposting that you'd be attacked by a tank later in the story).

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger yeah I think 2 is my least fave of the trilogy. Mind you as I'm thinking of them now they kinda just merge into 1 game.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

I liked the train section of Uncharted 2. Running from the tank sucked, though. And I hated the part with the Yeti.

I feel like Uncharted 3's setpieces were all more well done. And Uncharted 4 is just better all-around.

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, they do that, especially if you play them one after the other!

@Ralizah Absolutely agreed on Uncharted 3. The reason I love that game so much is because it nails the set-piece design every single time. The gameplay and story that threads them together is smaller and more personal to Nate and Sully, but the smart pacing knows when it's just time to provide explosions and thrills. It benefits from the same reason I love The Lost Legacy, namely that it doesn't hang about on anything for too long. I could keep playing it with a "just five more minutes" mentality right through to the end credits, whereas big parts of Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 4 make me glance at the clock, stop and take breaks.

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

Coincidentally I also finished Uncharted: The Lost Legacy yesterday.
I really enjoyed it, certainly more than Uncharted 4. Chloe and Nadine make a brilliant team. I enjoyed their banter and how their characters grew over the course of the game. Very well paced with a particularly thrilling final chapter. It's also very, very beautiful to look at.

mookysam

PSN: mookysam

KratosMD

So I just finished the story of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I think this is the first time I've ever been surprised to find out that I had just finished a game. It was so underwhelming, the build-up was nonexistent. I'm not even joking, I had literally no idea that I was at the end of the game. Literally none.

Although I am expecting some kind of "true ending" if I manage to kill all the Cultists, and possibly upgrade my spear one final time. But seeing the trophy pop up for finishing the last mission plus the epilogue was bizarre to me. The story had been absolutely enthralling up until the fight against your sibling, which was an awesome battle by the way. However, the remainder of the story after that point on felt incredibly rushed, like the developers were trying to tie everything together in one brief section. I'm honestly kinda disappointed in the ending.

Regardless, the experience I've had overall was excellent. The open exploration is amazing, naval battles are fun as heck, conquest battles are really cool, and there are tons of things to do in the world (although it tend to become repetitive after a certain point). The boss battles against the mythical creatures were unexpected but refreshing compared to the rest of the gameplay loop.

I also can't forget to mention that the side quests in this game are really good and I understand now what people meant when they were comparing them to the quests in Witcher 3. Literally every side quest has personality and uniqueness to it, even if it's simply a fetch quest. It's like every time you arrive at a new area/island, there is some form of local story going on there and that's really cool. This could also explain why the main story felt rushed, since the developers dedicated a lot of attention to the side quests in every part of the map. It's still amazing nonetheless that they did that.

I'll most likely try and wrap up the final Cultists, upgrade my spear, maybe do some final side quests and then I think I'm done with this game. I've almost played it for 70 hours and I'm more than content with that amount of playtime. I won't bother with the DLC either, I just want to move on to other games now, lol.

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

andreoni79

Yakuza 6. This was my first Yakuza game and even if combat wasn't anything great, all the rest surely was awesome.
Now I'm playing ME Andromeda; I'd better not compare the facial animations between the two games!

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic