Forums

Topic: PS4pro | OT

Posts 201 to 203 of 203

Banjo-

@kyleforrester87 Wow, that's a difference. I might have to get one of those screwdrivers...

Banjo-

BAMozzy

@BlueOcean Backwards Compatibility, if handled in a similar way to Xbox would be great. I still have a 'big' library of PS3 games that I would be more inclined to finish off if I could just put the disc in and play on the Pro. PS+ IGC could also benefit - instead of just 2 games a month and 2 games that you are unlikely to bother setting up your PS3 to play but may add to your PS4 library would be great. Of course Sony have a much greater history of games that could be offered in some 'retro BC' IGC games.

I don't know how popular it would be - especially for those new gamers that are not 'nostalgic' for the past and/or interested in the evolution of games but I would rather be offered and not accept than to not be offered and want. It should/would work easier for the PS3 era and for those that have owned PS+ on the PS3, could access and download all those games they added back then too.

I had the BC option on PS3 because the original console could play the PS2 era games. Some of the original XB games also worked on the 360 too but after I built up a reasonable library of new games, I didn't really bother with the old 4:3 (not widescreen) SD games. Most months I add a XB360 game from GwG but still prefer to play the XB1 games. It can be fun to jump into an old 360 games and play across both generations with some friends who still play on the XB360 but they are now getting fewer and fewer - although some have upgraded to the XB1 now some of those are BC. When RDR was added, that was 'nearly' as big as a new release - bigger than quite a few of the new indie releases...

Sony though may not be interested because it may eat into their PSNow subscription and the opportunity to offer remasters. Its the same on PC though where a 'decent' remaster, rather than just taking the old game and just increasing the output resolution (yes I am looking a GoW3 remaster compared to something like CoD4: MW remaster). In some cases, Sony are offering a remaster of a HD remaster of a game that appeared on PS2! However a decent remaster can still appeal over a BC version and still 'sell'

Maybe with the PS5 we could see a bit more BC opportunity as they could keep a similar architecture. I still think they could run 'emulation' on current hardware to enable BC....

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Banjo-

@BAMozzy I think BC on PS would be great. I have a PS4 but I was disappointed by its lack of backwards compatibility, it doesn't even have access to those digital PS and PS2 games that were available on PS3 (and not sure if on PSP or Vita too). Of course PS4 could run them easily! Remasters are nice but only a few are chosen, most of them are PS3 hits. I don't know what Sony's future plans are but I prefer Microsoft's approach to the whole thing. Even though I never had a 360 I use backwards compatibility quite often on Xbox One and games are cheap or even free (with Gold).

Banjo-

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.