Forums

Topic: NW-31374-8 and IP Fragmentation Errors

Posts 1 to 20 of 27

WanderingBullet

Hey, guys. I've haven't been able to connect to a single online session matchmaking session as well as getting sent back to the Main Menu on a number of occasions on Helldivers since yesterday.

So I decided to run a Test Internet Connection on my PS4 and got this message saying, "The router in use may not support IP Fragments, and the communication features of some games may be restricted. For details,contact the router manufacture". I did multiple test and at times it also failed to detect my Nat Type giving me the NW-31374-8 error as well. Thing is I've been using the same router and settings ever since I got my PS4 back in 2014 but yesterday was the first time I've encountered both those errors. Wanted some opinions first before contacting my ISP since they have have no knowledge when it comes to problems related to the PS4. Thanks.

Edited on by Tasuki

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Tasuki

Well if you're able to maybe try a different router. That's the only thing I can think of.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

WanderingBullet

@Tasuki: Thanks, but I only have one router. I've Googled NW-31374-8 and it has something to do with my router's firewall settings. Problem is I'm not tech savvy at all so I rather not mess with it. Also, I don't think its my router's issue that I can't join an online session in Helldivers since I've been reading reports of the same issue from other players currently. I'll contact my ISP later and see what they have to say about the IP Fragment issue.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

BAMozzy

I know this may seem obvious but have you tried to resetting your router? Does anyone else have access to the settings?

I had to set mine to have a static port to get an open Nat on my router - maybe doing this may help resolve the problems

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

WanderingBullet

@BAMozzy: All I did was unplugged both my router and PS4. I'll call my ISP so they can guide me just incase I need to reconfigure my router after resetting it.

Pixelnme

@WanderingBullet: i made an Account just to post this,i don't believe this to be a router or isp issue last week i started randomly getting the ip fragmentation message,phoned Sony told them of the various issues i was experiencing disconnects and such and i had tried port forwarding Sony's ports also DMZ,they basically tried to say it was my end but i told them i had seen several complaining of this on several different isp's,i did enquire though with my isp just incase and received a new router of a totally different brand,set it up still random ip fragmentation and now since Saturday random NW-31374-8,i will be phoning Sony again Tomorrow to report these continuing issues and ask they be passed onto the engineers,you never know hopefully if enough complain to them about it they might might just fix it in Wednesday's scheduled maintenance.

Edited on by Pixelnme

Pixelnme

WanderingBullet

@Pixelnme: Yea, been getting the IP Fragmentation and Nat Type failed errors at random too but I've tried playing a few other online games and they seemed to worked fine. Which is why I'm not sure what the IP Fragmention actually does to my gaming experience. My ISP will be sending one of their technicians over with a new router sometime within 48 hours just to test and see if it fixes those errors.

Pixelnme

I still believe it's sony's end as me and a few friends had the ip fragmentation message appear around Christmas and it eventually disappeared and we where all on different isp's,though this time it appears to be more random and random people either that or people aren't running multiple tests to see that it randomly happens,as i say with it happening to several isp's and me trying several things like port forwarding and DMZ aswell as a new totally different brand router i believe it to be sony's end,i will be ringing them today to report still having the fragmentation message now joined by NW-31374-8 and hopefully they pass it onto engineers doing the maintenance on 2nd to look into,anyway good luck with the router

Pixelnme

WanderingBullet

@Pixelnme: Thanks. The technician brought a different router over but the same errors still occurred. He doesn't even know what IP Fragments are and spent have the time he was here searching for UDP Ports in the router's settings but couldn't find it. smh To be honest, I wasn't surprised either since the technicians that they usually send over can only troubleshoot basic internet related issues. I just wanted to confirm if there was a problem with my router.

https://www.playstation.com/en-in/get-help/help-library/error...

Pixelnme

@WanderingBullet:i had a feeling it wouldn't work and there some of the ports in your link that i've had open several times,TCP 80,433,sometimes 1935 TCP and UDP 3478-3480,also used DMZ something i don't like doing that opens the router up to all traffic none of it fixes the problem so i don't think it would have mattered if he did find them for you,oh well fingers crossed it rights itself or someone finds a fix for it,Good Luck

Pixelnme

Victor_Meldrew

Change your MTU setting to 1472, it tends to speed up your connection, Google it as I've not the technical knowledge to explain why other than its something to do with data packet sizes. It tends to speed up download speeds on games too.

Victor_Meldrew

AdamNovice

I'm having problems too, my connection has been getting worse despite using a Powerline adapter which improved things previously but now I'm getting on average 25mbs Down and 2mbs up which means I'm getting very laggy SFV matches and even when playing in Destiny's crucible I use to get a full green bar (which signals connection status) now it's in the low reds so something has gone wrong. My router is a Virgin Media Super Hub 2, any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

AdamNovice

Twitter:

WanderingBullet

@Pixelnme: Yea, one of the customer service rep told me that PS4 is out of their scope so they're unable to help me in this matter. Did you contact Sony?

Victor_Meldrew

@WanderingBullet: should work anywhere, 1472 or 1473 both seem to work, test the connection on all three settings and see if there's a significant difference

Victor_Meldrew

wpmvp67

I'm not sure if it's an "isolated" issue, but I'm having the same problems since Saturday. Looking through and saw that my NAT keeps failing. Had the PS4 for nearly a year and it's the first time I've ever encountered something like this. I've literally tried everything: DMZ, port forwarding, manual assignment (on PS4), rebooting systems (20+ times), router switching, soft modem reset, factory defaults, rebuilding databases (Heard this might work...?), altering MTU values and directly plugging in my PS4 to the modem.

So far, directly plugging it into my modem will give me my NAT, but out of 10 tries, only worked 2x, but was unable to even create a party let alone play BO3 or Destiny online (Destiny works, but can't join anyone or will spawn and get kicked within 10 minutes). My secondary router (which was the primary router when i bought my PS4. Had no issues) gets the NAT type a little more consistently, but am not able to join games yet can join party (issues, though). The only thing I haven't tried is contacting Sony or ISP, but will do so if no other method/opinions work (or patiently wait <24hrs from maintenance... Yeah right lol). The routers I have are: Asus RT-AC87U (primary) and Linksys EA3500 (secondary)

A little lengthy, but I hope that if anyone is having issues to try any of these methods out. portforwarding.com is the best guide to static and port forwarding options. As for DMZ, you might need to look it up based on router brand.

WHAT?

PSN: wpmvp67

AdamNovice

This morning I rebooted my router and checked that all the necessary cables were properly connected, things seem to have improved, played a few matches in SFV and Destiny with no noticeable lag.

AdamNovice

Twitter:

wpmvp67

@adf86 were you able to join someone and/or create a party at all (if you did/try to)?

WHAT?

PSN: wpmvp67

AdamNovice

@wpmvp67: Sorry I don't tend to play in parties online so I wouldn't know I'm afraid.

AdamNovice

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.