Forums

Topic: Gaming Resolutions for the New Year 2024

Posts 41 to 59 of 59

Anti-Matter

1. Buy PS5 Fat machine within April - June 2024.
2. Play more my Switch games.
3. Repair my PSP 3000.
4. Purchasing 12 Switch games in total within this year.
5. Buy another PS4 Slim with 2TB HDD installed.

Anti-Matter

Th3solution

Q1 2024 is in the books. We’re 25% of the way through the year. Good time to check in —

Gaming Resolutions for 2024

1. Play GOTY candidate titles from previous years that I missed.

• Play 3 from 2023
    This would include choosing from: Baldur’s Gate 3, Spider-Man 2, Resident Evil 4 Remake, Dead Space Remake, Cocoon, Lies of P, Alan Wake 2, Street Fighter 6
  • Play 2 from 2022
    This would include choosing from: God of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West, Elden Ring, A Plague Tale Requiem, Trails from Zero, Cult of the Lamb, Sifu, Sonic Frontiers, Tunic, The Last of Us Part 1, COD Modern Warfare 2
  • Play 1 from 2021
    This would include choosing from: Hades, Resident Evil Villiage, Hitman 3, Psychonauts 2, It Takes Two, Guilty Gear Strive, Life is Strange True Colors, Nier Replicant, Deathloop

Progress so far:

• I have 1/3 for 2023 (Spider-Man 2 in progress), 1/2 for 2022 (APT: Requiem done ✅), and 0/1 for 2021.

2. Achieve 5 platinum trophies

• Off to a bad start. 0/5 so far. I’m only a couple trophies shy for the APT: R platinum, but not sure when/if I’ll go back.

3. Do something multiplayer

• Nope.

4. Play at least 3 remasters or remakes

• Nope.

5. Retry 2 games that I gave up on

• Nope.

Well, it could be worse, I guess. It’s been a rough start to the year for me, gaming-wise. Still plenty of time to get some of these things done though.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

CJD87

@Th3solution
re Playing 3 x GOTY nominations from 2023... allow me to highly recommend "Cocoon" - which I used as a pallete-cleanser after Baldurs 3 .
Cocoon is an excellent and unique puzzler, centered on the bizarre mechanic of carrying different 'universes' on your back (in the form of large spheres) and then jumping in/out of said universes to puzzle your way through the landscapes in hand....

It is a short playthrough, ~8-10hrs, and does a great balancing act in being genuinely challenging but never overly difficult/obtuse.

Also - it is a very easy platinum, no missables, and you can 'rewind' the game post-completion to quickly mop up any missing collectables.

In regards to playing 1 x 2021 GOTY contender... got to be Hades right?!

CJD87

Th3solution

@CJD87 Thanks for the recommendation. I know another from 2023 I plan on is BG3, so I do need a good candidate for the third. I was leaning RE4 vs DS Remake, but I’ll definitely consider Cocoon.

And yes, for 2021’s game I have Hades as the likely target. But LiS True Colors, Nier Replicant are in the mix too, depending on mood. Unfortunately It TakesTwo… well, takes two, and I don’t have a co-op partner readily accessible. I had a friend who had some interest but the timing never worked out and the game dropped off PS Plus, so I haven’t seriously considered it recently.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

Update time!

Ralizah wrote:

1) Resist the siren song of alluring sales and new releases as much as possible. I'm sure I'll still grab new games, but I'd very much like it to be heavily lopsided in favor of backlogged games played this year.

No new game purchases this year. Also no sale purchases. I have bought a couple of unbelievably cheap bundles for Steam games I wanted (and I don't count those, because unlike sale deals, bundles deals often don't repeat), but I'm sticking to this extremely well.

Ralizah wrote:

2) Play through my PS4 backlog so I can retire the console. Plat at least five of them.

1/15 completed. Second in progress.
0/5 platted.

Ralizah wrote:

3) Start, play through, and beat Monster Hunter World + the Iceborne expansion.

Nope.

Ralizah wrote:

4) Play ten games or more on my Steam Deck.

6/10. Not surprising that I've wanted to play with my new toy.

Ralizah wrote:

5) 100% run of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 + the Future Redeemed expansion once my Noah and Mio amiibo come in.

Nope.

Ralizah wrote:

6) Play through the XC1: Future Connected expansion for Xenoblade DE.

Nope.

Ralizah wrote:

7) Beat my unfinished 2023 Switch backlog.

1/6 beaten. Second in progress.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

Update time!

Ralizah wrote:

1) Resist the siren song of alluring sales and new releases as much as possible. I'm sure I'll still grab new games, but I'd very much like it to be heavily lopsided in favor of backlogged games played this year.

No new game purchases this year. Also no sale purchases. I have bought a couple of unbelievably cheap bundles for Steam games I wanted (and I don't count those, because unlike sale deals, bundles deals often don't repeat), but I'm sticking to this extremely well.

Ralizah wrote:

2) Play through my PS4 backlog so I can retire the console. Plat at least five of them.

1/15 beaten. Second in progress.
0/5 platted.

Ralizah wrote:

3) Start, play through, and beat Monster Hunter World + the Iceborne expansion.

Nope.

Ralizah wrote:

4) Play ten games or more on my Steam Deck.

6/10. Not surprising that I've wanted to play with my new toy.

Ralizah wrote:

5) 100% run of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 + the Future Redeemed expansion once my Noah and Mio amiibo come in.

Nope.

Ralizah wrote:

6) Play through the XC1: Future Connected expansion for Xenoblade DE.

Nope.

Ralizah wrote:

7) Beat my unfinished 2023 Switch backlog.

1/6 beaten. Second in progress.

Edited on by Ralizah

colonelkilgore

colonelkilgore wrote:

@Th3solution 🤣 aye I don’t think that I could be any more succinct tbh… and welcome aboard, we’re glad to have ya 😁.
So as far as the old George Forman Grill goes, i’ve got bits and pieces left to do on:

Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Rage

I am keen to get through the following:

Brutal Legend
Remember Me
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Spec Ops: The Line
The Saboteur
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Alpha Protocol
Deadly Premonition
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 3
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Asura’s Wrath
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Then I do have some stragglers left over that I’m probably willing to cull like:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
Sleeping Dogs (as I’ve already played the PS4 version)
Just Cause 2 (as I’ve already played it through a few times on an old profile)

… and I am torn on a few too I suppose 🤔:

The Tomb Raider HD Classics Collection
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Going through them I actually had a fair few more than I thought 😅… ahh well maybe I’ll manage to get them all done before the PS6… maybe 😉.

Not a bad start to the year for me tbh… I’ve cleared 5 PS3 games from the backlog (Back to the Future, Wolverine, Spec Ops: The Line, Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Asura’s Wrath) and made decent progress on a few others (Brutal Legend, Rage and Red Faction: Armageddon).

On top of that, I’ve also managed to get some PS4 and PS5 games done (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Assassins Creed 3 Remastered, Nioh 2 and Just Cause 4) and at least one Telltale game per month also (The Walking Dead season 1, The Walking Dead A New Frontier and The Walking Dead the final season).

I don’t wanna speak too soon but I might actually clear my PS3 backlog this year 🤞

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

To all those who set some goals for 2024:
@LtSarge @Ravix @nitram2K11 @LN78 @kyleforrester87 @johncalmc @Ralizah @Rudy_Manchego @Tjuz @XandertheWise @AgentCooper @colonelkilgore @mookysam @Walrus_Slapper @Anti-Matter

(Forgive me if I missed anyone) We are getting close to the halfway point of the year. So you should be halfway to accomplishing what you set out to do. Let’s have some accountability and report how you’re doing! 😄

As for my progress, let’s see…

1. Play GOTY candidate titles from previous years that I missed.

• Play 3 from 2023
 This would include choosing from: Baldur’s Gate 3, Spider-Man 2, Resident Evil 4 Remake, Dead Space Remake, Cocoon, Lies of P, Alan Wake 2, Street Fighter 6
    > Results so far: 1/3 (Spider-Man 2)
  • Play 2 from 2022
 This would include choosing from: God of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West, Elden Ring, A Plague Tale Requiem, Trails from Zero, Cult of the Lamb, Sifu, Sonic Frontiers, Tunic, The Last of Us Part 1, COD Modern Warfare 2
    > Results so far: 2/2 ✔️ (A Plague Tale, Sifu)
  • Play 1 from 2021
 This would include choosing from: Hades, Resident Evil Villiage, Hitman 3, Psychonauts 2, It Takes Two, Guilty Gear Strive, Life is Strange True Colors, Nier Replicant, Deathloop
    > Results so far: 0/1

2. Achieve 5 platinum trophies
Results so far: 1/5 (Spider-Man 2)

3. Do something multiplayer
Results so far: Done ✔️- Dark Souls 2

4. Play at least 3 remasters or remakes
Results so far: 1/3 (DS2: Scholar of the First Sin)

5. Retry 2 games that I gave up on
Results so far: 0/2

——————

Overall I’m quite far behind, and roughly 30% toward accomplishing everything. Not sure if I can kick it in gear quick enough, but I’ll try.

johncalmc

johncalmc wrote:

I did a so-so job with my 2023 resolutions so I expect that I'll do better this time around. I also have less pressing issues this time around. Like last year I played Final Fantasy XIV from start to finish which really stopped me from playing a lot of stuff, and I played loads of Yakuza. In 2022, I beat 74 games. In 2023, it was only 45 I think, and that was largely down to FFXIV and Yakuza.
So, this year...

1. Finally platinum every Yakuza game - I have to finish the platinum for Yakuza 5 and then do 6 and then I'm done. I already did Gaiden and 7 when they came out. I suppose I'll do 8 when it comes out too. Then it's done. No more Yakuza platinums.

2. Finally platinum Persona 4 Golden - Like the Yakuza one, this was on my list last year but like the Yakuza one I've made good progress in this. I'm on new game plus and I've got the Hardcore Risette Fan trophy so I think this is totally doable.

3. Play at least 5 old birthday/christmas games - Every year I get games for my birthday and christmas and there's always some that get left behind and I never get to. I've got loads still in plastic. Alien Isolation, Mafia Trilogy, Tactics Ogre, three different Call of Duty games, Outriders, Scarlet Nexus, and loads more. Stuff I've forgotten I even own. This year I want to make a dent in them.

4. Play Fable - My girlfriend wants me to play Fable because I've never played Fable. I said I will. Will I? Who knows. It's on this list now so it feels more official. Now I feel like I kinda have to. We'll see.

5. Platinum some old Final Fantasy games - I put this on the list last year and now I'm confidant(ish) that I'll do it this year. I'm not going to say all of them. But I would like to get the Pixel Remaster and at least get through three of the games, or something. That's got to be doable.

Oh dear.

Okay here goes.

1. Finally platinum every Yakuza game - I haven't done this but I have made progress. I got the Platinum in Infinite Wealth when it launched. I've also done basically everything in Yakuza 5 except for the Coliseum (annoying) and the replay on Legendary (tedious). After that, Yakuza 6 is plain sailing and that's the full set.

2. Finally platinum Persona 4 Golden - I don't think I've played a second of Persona 4 Golden since I posted this.

3. Play at least 5 old birthday/christmas games - I have actually made some progress. I played Mafia Definitive Edition and Outriders. I think that's it but it is progress.

4. Play Fable - Waiting for it to be on PS5.

5. Platinum some old Final Fantasy games - I haven't played a single one. I downloaded VII and IX when I was having a bad time and wanted a nostalgia game. But I didn't play either of them. Also I would like them to release XIII on PS5 so I can do every game. I know XIII stinks but if you're gonna platinum every game then you gotta play every game and I'll be damned if I'm reconnecting my PS3.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Ralizah

I've played a few more Steam Deck games (probably already fulfilled that goal lol), but haven't really made progress on the other goals.

Actually, my nephew has sorta co-opted the PS4 to play P5R while I'm busy with SMT and Yakuza on PC, so I'm not sure how long it'll even be before I return to that library, unfortunately.

I'm still doing a pretty good job of avoiding sales and new purchases. For this year, it has only been Unicorn Overlord and SMT V: Vengeance to date.

Th3solution

@johncalmc That’s actually decent progress! Plat’ing a Yakuza game is no small feat. Heck, simply finishing more than one Yakuza game in a year is a tall task in my book.

And “I'll be damned if I'm reconnecting my PS3” sums up my thoughts on the subject perfectly. 😅

Ravix

@Th3solution I mean, my first resolutions were just me being silly. But I definitely played some motherf***ing games 😅

I have at times learned to say "no" to people who want me to come and play on Fifa. And apart from maybe a month where I just really clicked with someone and scored so, so many goals that it'd be rude not to play at times, I've managed to stay away from it when I have wanted to stay away from it. The thing is, it's a game I kind of enjoy, but also don't. I'm the kind of person that will score 5 or 6 and be annoyed that I didn't score 7 or 8 because I'm a bad perfectionist when it comes to that stuff, and that is not really a healthy way to enjoy games 😬 and I'd much rather just relax with an immervie open-world RPG type game.

The second part where I said maybe finish games I start, less so. I fully backed out of my Hogwarts Legacy playthrough (partly because I thought the summer update would make it ideal to play in August/September with maybe some upgrades to it... hmm) and Dragon's Dogma 2 coming out lured me in. But to be fair, I did finish DD2 and was glad to play it at release rather than wait. Same as BG3 last year and Elden Ring the year before. Some games just work nicely with launch hype, and engagement.

I also backed out of my FF7 remake playthrough whenever that was. But I did go back and finish FF16, but I'm not sure exactly when that was either. Mayve later last year or early this year.

I did play and finish Miles Morales this year, with it being a fairly short game. And you know I was instantly put off SM2 soon after.

And I'm currently playing AC Mirage, kind of, although there was a gap of a week or 10 days where I didn't play it at all, so it was at risk of turning into a full fall-off. But AC games are easy for me to get back to and I will definitely finish Basim's tale in a casual manner.

No big open world games or rpgs have stuck since DD2, so mostly I'm waiting around for stuff like KCD2, AC Shadows and Star Wars Outlaws with shorter, more casual games to tide me over. Or.. just not playing much at all.

My latest semi-resolution was to maybe slowly turn myself into a PC gamer to sate my appetite for games to look really good and perform really well, as I'm finding myself slightly disappointed with this current generation to be brutally honest. The summer game fest/Xbox showcase did give me some positivity about the future in terms of just there being a bunch of fun games to try, and that made me consider whether to get an Xbox series X so I can play gamepass stuff as well, now there is actually games i'm interested in on the horizon. But the fact you can also do that on a PC threw a spanner in the works, as buying an Xbox, and then the rumoured PS5 Pro which I would want, made me think the Xbox would then be lacking and a PC would be a better choice for the future 😅

and then of course, who knows what games will come to PS5 from MS. I don't want to just p*ss money away, so I'd love to work out what I really want to get out of games for the next few years 😬 and whether that is simply the PS5 Pro (when it shows itself) and an Xbox for game pass, or a decent PC for gamepass and steam etc, with my current ps5 set-ups alongside for PS Plus and stuff I already own with a choice of where to buy games in future depending if I want to push the graphics/resolution/performance

Edited on by Ravix

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

Th3solution

@Ralizah Props for avoiding the temptations of sale purchases. I’d been doing well on that too until the last month or so and I fell victim to some impulse buys when they were on sale or I found them really cheap physically (RE4, Balatro, GoW Ragnarok, and Crisis Core FF7: Reunion).

With Monster Hunter Wilds now announced for next year, does it put added pressure on you to try to finish World/Iceborne this year?

Th3solution

@Ravix Nice. Although it does seem that there’s quite a few that you started and are still dangling out there. 😅 But as long as you have something else to pivot to, I see no problem with abandoning a game you’re definitely not enjoying. My issue is I was actually enjoying some of the ones I wish I could go back to and I just have had too many ADD moments to chase another squirrel I saw.

Reckon you’ll do another BG3 playthrough when the big rumored update drops in September? Supposed it will add some mod support on console. I’m tentatively planning to jump on it when that update drops.

Ralizah

@Th3solution Oh yeah, I'm gonna get into and finish MHW and Iceborne this year, 100%. Because most of that community will move over to the new game when it comes out. I'll also get into a bunch of the other games I had planned as well assuming Nintendo doesn't announce a bunch of banger exclusives this year at tomorrow's Nintendo Direct, which seems incredibly unlikely considering how late in the generation it is.

Otherwise, it's just Metaphor: ReFantazio and MAYBE a late purchase of Persona 3 Reload in the chamber for this year.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ravix

@Th3solution there's not many I really started and gave up on though, tbh. Though I could still be better. And by started I mean committed to and was enjoying anyway haha. SM2 and Horizon FW just didn't grab me, so I barely even started them as I didnt want to waste my time when I wasn't in the mood for them. Hogwarts I was enjoying, it was just a timing thing and in the back of my mind I justified it with "wait for the update". I also got a new gaming tv mid playthrough and the audio syncing was noticably annoying between spell casts and animation for some reason, which didn't help. The tv has long since improved on that aspect via an update I didn't notice it needed though, so no real excuse.

FF7R was only on PS Plus so less of a commitment. I do wish I'd stuck with The Outer Worlds, as I was really enjoying it, but with it being a proper in depth rpg questing game it was not one I could play alongside DD2. Some people can handle two, three or 4 games at once, I really can't especially if they have deep lore, stories, or questing elements.

Oh, we will both be 'as squirrels' in Q3 and Q4, I think 😁 so much is coming out that I want to play right then and there, even if it isn't the wise choice. Star Wars, Assassin's Creed and Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 alone are all capable of requiring 100% of my gaming attention and there will be crossover in their releases if it takes me the usual 2/3+ months for each 😬😬😬 not sure how I will handle that.

I'm also not sure how getting game pass as well will help me stick with games and complete them, but it would give me the choice when I'm not feeling anything I own or could buy. But what I need really is less choice, not more 😅😅😅

I'm not sure about BG3, I'm not a replay kind of person, even though I loved it so much, I really exhausted every possible grain of content that I could. And I'd feel bad not being my Bard if I did play it again. They are canonical to me 🥲 one day I will probably try a dark urge, but I'm not sure I will play it with quite the same commitment if I do.

I do have a slight inclination to do a 4 person co-op "all bard" run, but I'm not sure how easy that would be, as it is a time consuming game, and 4 person co-op relies heavily on being on at the same time, obviously haha. But a touring band of Bards just sounds like so much fun, and there is a lot of variation in Bard builds. My own was a fairly combat heavy all-rounder, but they can easily be support casters, ranged damage, or front line combat too.

Edited on by Ravix

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

LtSarge

1. Finish 50 backlog games, but it's okay to give up on certain titles

I've finished 19 games so far this year and that's including new games. So maybe 15 backlog titles. I probably should've just written "Finish 50 games" in general but oh well. Doubt I'll achieve this as I've been playing so many long games but I do have more time to get through my backlog during summer.

2. Only buy new releases that I really want to play

Definitely achieved this thus far this year. I've only bought Persona 3 Reload, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and Hellblade II (through Game Pass) unless I'm missing something.

3. Finish enough backlog games to be able to put away at least one system

Kinda achieved this as I'll be putting away the original Xbox due to me moving but not because I reduced my Xbox backlog games lol.

LtSarge

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution

colonelkilgore wrote:

@Th3solution 🤣 aye I don’t think that I could be any more succinct tbh… and welcome aboard, we’re glad to have ya 😁.
So as far as the old George Forman Grill goes, i’ve got bits and pieces left to do on:

Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Rage

I am keen to get through the following:

Brutal Legend
Remember Me
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Spec Ops: The Line
The Saboteur
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Alpha Protocol
Deadly Premonition
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 3
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Asura’s Wrath
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Then I do have some stragglers left over that I’m probably willing to cull like:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
Sleeping Dogs (as I’ve already played the PS4 version)
Just Cause 2 (as I’ve already played it through a few times on an old profile)

… and I am torn on a few too I suppose 🤔:

The Tomb Raider HD Classics Collection
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Going through them I actually had a fair few more than I thought 😅… ahh well maybe I’ll manage to get them all done before the PS6… maybe 😉.

I’m actually doing a fair bit better than I thought I would tbh. I’ve been saying that I’d focus on clearing my ps3 backlog for years… then ultimately chipped away at it with one or two gen7 games per year. This year I’ve been as good as my word though and have so far:

Splinter Cell: Blacklist - platinum
Rage - all online trophies done, will return for the plat around September-ish
Back to the Future - platinum
Red Faction: Armageddon - platinum
Brutal Legend - all online trophies done, will return for the plat around September-ish
Remember Me - not started yet but soon
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - started yesterday, halfway through first playthrough
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - platinum
Spec Ops: The Line - platinum
The Saboteur - August
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - October
Alpha Protocol - August
Fallout: New Vegas - platinum
Deadly Premonition - October
Dead Space - July
Dead Space 2 - November
Dead Space 3 - December
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - November
Asura’s Wrath - platinum
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - platinum

You might note there’s a few extra ps3 games in that list than there was back in Jan… I have still been buying them even though I was adamant that I wouldn’t 😅.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

LN78

@Th3solution Pleased to report that I haven't bought any more full price digital only games - the only possible caveat being the upcoming "Elden Ring" expansion, but as that's a DLC I think I'm in the clear.

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic