Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 10,121 to 10,140 of 10,145

InsaneWade

@XandertheWise It depends on when the first day of school is of that year. My high school typically started very early in August, then seniors wouldn't be around anymore in May. I graduated in 2008 and during that year they pushed our first day into late August. So while my graduation was the first day of June, on Sunday, our last day of classes was the 2nd week of May.

InsaneWade

HallowMoonshadow

Sorry for the late reply @Bundersvessel! I pulled a back muscle and I was in so much pain over the weekend. The joys of getting old

Yeah it was an extraction. It seems to be doing rather well now.. So surreal that it's gone though.

Ooooh boy I don't envy you. Mine are already all grown up thankfully (Though that comes with it's own problems). I don't think I could manage with a baby/toddler at my age now... I deal with kids enough as a teacher ha ha

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Voltan

Went to a local Tekken 8 tournament last night and it was pretty cool. I didn't do great

Voltan

Voltan

@oliverp It was actually quite big (and a Dojo event for Tekken World Tour) - 48 players in the bracket

Voltan

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

@Jimmer-jammer How are you man? I'm still downloading RotR, despite having completed the tutorial, as I have a very slow internet connection/set up my Ps5 with performance settings that somehow cause slow downloads, anyway, it is a big game as well so that probably contributes to that. Anyway, how's work and life treating you? Is your job anything like the TV Show 'The King of Queens'? šŸ¤£

Edited on by BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Jimmer-jammer

@Black_Swordsman Doing well, thanks! Yeah, RotR is a really big game, so thatā€™s surely a factor. As for my job, itā€™s less King of Queens and more Highway Thru Hell. In fact, parts of the show were filmed in my neck of the woods. I haul petroleum crude, so thereā€™s the added stress of dealing with a dangerous goods product but the nice thing is that I work a 9 on and 5 off schedule, which works well for managing my life, especially when my real passions are decidedly less blue collar. I did, for a time, deliver and service portable toilets across Calgary and Vancouver, including at the 2010 winter olympics, which probably could have been its own tv show šŸ˜‚

How are you doing? Have you carried on with your studies? Still operating the helplines?

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

ā€œReason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.ā€ C.S. Lewis

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

@Jimmer-jammer Yeah, good thanks, I am applying for courses at the moment so hopefully I'll get on to a good one, and yes, still operating the helplines. It's quite rewarding and enjoyable.

That's interesting about your former employment. Definitely a TV Show I would have paid to watch!

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Jimmer-jammer

@Black_Swordsman Glad to hear youā€™re doing well! Being an ear for people in need is a real gift and takes a tremendous amount of personal fortitude. Hereā€™s hoping your courses pan out the way youā€™d like!

ā€œReason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.ā€ C.S. Lewis

oliverp

Plan a game purchase for tomorrow (its the day when the salary comes here where I live so) feel like I deserve to buy a game then (have planed the purchase for quite some time).

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

Kidfried

@oliverp Which one?

I cna't wait to buy Paper Mario 2, but unfortunately I had an awful pay day this month. That on top of me having spent all my savings over the last year, makes it really hard to justify new game prices. Especially since I still have quite some games left unfinished.

Finances will probably return to normal by next month, so it's nothing to be worried about. Just sad that the one game I was looking forward to happened to release this month.

Kidfried

oliverp

@kidfred Oh its a big one which I might announce in the purchase thread. I of course hope that you soon will be able to pick up some new games.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

I have decided to give up on the idea of being a professional musician and focus purely on psychology for a future career path. It was an accumulation of things that led to this decision, I suppose, but mostly the fact that I realised I had been holding on to my teenage dreams, mostly inspired by reading interviews with musicians, mostly from the band 'Iced Earth' and other rock and heavy metal bands about how you go "all in" when you're young if you're gonna make it, and then stick to it, kinda thing.

I realised that at this age a career in psychology, another of my interests, is more realistic, and on a personal level, more fulfilling to me. I also felt like I had "made my mark" on the music industry, with a handful of gigs from my teens under my belt, in addition to SoundCloud recordings, which people liked, flatteringly, recorded more recently. I will now just play guitar for fun, along with games, and read and watch cricket as my primary hobbies and interests, whilst focusing on psychology for the career and personal fulfillment.

I have "met up" with my college self in the best possible way now, still focusing on a couple of the same hobbies and interests I had at that age, but without applying the passion and drive necessary to become a professional musician to that unlikely end now, and instead applying it to becoming a professional psychotherapist.

Malaise

@Black_Swordsman I find your decision and self-awareness quite inspiring. I'm closer to retirement than I am to my early working years, and I still don't know what I would choose to do or have a passion for. I do have some experience in psychology having spent many years talking to professionals with my personal history of depression, anxiety and other related mental illnesses, and I can certainly see the appeal and fulfillment of such a career choice. The very best of luck to you!

Malaise

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

@Malaise Thank you for your feedback and for disclosing that, I sincerely wish you all the best with your mental health and everything else in your life. I hope you discover what you want to do, in terms of a particular ambition, what you and I both referred to as a passion, and if not, I hope you enjoy the things that you do do in life that you may not necessarily be passionate about in the sense of a specific ambition, goal, or drive.

Th3solution

@BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN I donā€™t really have a deep history with the Silent Hill franchise, personally, although I do remember playing at least one of them on a prior console. It may have been the first one, actually. If I played the sequels too, I donā€™t remember much about them.

I have come to appreciate a good horror game, but I have to pace myself with them because Iā€™m actually quite a scaredy cat. šŸ˜… So I usually donā€™t play too many horror games in close succession; maybe 3-4 per year, intermixed with lighter fare in between.

So Iā€™ll probably wait on the reviews for SH2 Remake before having any hype for it. It does look pretty good in trailers, but I keep hearing cautious concern from outside sources about Bloober Teamā€™s mediocre output in the past. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve played any of their games before, but nothing theyā€™ve done has set the world on fire. Many think that the Silent Hill project is way over their heads, so I donā€™t know how to feel about it.

Also, I have a small horror backlog that I would like to clear some of. I recently bought RE4 Remake in the last sale, and Iā€™ve considered picking up Dead Space Remake in this sale but Iā€™ll probably end up waiting because Iā€™m flush with lots of horror options otherwise, as I also have RE5, RE6, RE7 in my backlog and of course need to do RE8 later too, although I donā€™t own it yet. I also have Callisto Protocol, and Alan Wake to try. And then thereā€™s the Dark Pictures Anthology I still want to get to when I have the more ā€˜narrative/choice-basedā€™ style horror/thriller itch to scratch. I think I have 3 of the 4 from that series in my library.
Not to mention (although itā€™s not horror, per se but I class it as such in my mind) Days Gone which I would like to try one day.

So thereā€™s a lot of competing titles in my library for when I feel the urge to be horrified. šŸ˜„ I do feel like the Dark Souls games are ā€˜horror adjacentā€™ as well, with their gruesome monsters, occasional jump scares, and creepy settings. So we know I still have DS3 in that series yet to go, and also Elden Ring.

Probably my horror roadmap would be: finish DS2 (probably about 30% doneā€¦?), then RE4, then maybe Alan Wake, then Man of Medan, then maybe Days Gone, then DS3, then RE5, then Dead Space,ā€¦ I donā€™t know. Likely if SH2 turns out to garner high praise, then I might shoehorn it in there after RE4. Iā€™ve been known to be fickle with my plans. I like to have a loose roadmap, but have the flexibility to just add random games in there when I feel like it.

Do you have a prior history with the original SH series?

Edited on by Th3solution

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic