Developer Larian Studios hasn't taken the foot off the gas since Baldur's Gate 3 launched, pushing out the second hotfix of the week and the ninth since the game launched on PC at the start of August, with those coming to the PS5 iteration, which launched in September. That's in addition to three full patches, the most recent of which (amongst many other things) improved PlayStation performance, as well as introducing the character-editing Magic Mirror.
Hotfix 9, then, expands the utility of the Magic Mirror, which lets you edit your character's appearance, but now allows you to change your name as well (always a contentious subject for the PlayStation faithful). Hirelings, which are customisable party members who lack the personality of BG3's bespoke Companions, can also now have their appearance altered through the Mirror, which is appreciated.
Split-screen players on PS5 should no longer experience an issue that could cause a black screen when listening in on another player's dialogue. Pro-tip for anyone who doesn't know (we wish we'd learned a dozen hours sooner): Go to your Settings, under Gameplay, and enable the Eavesdrop feature to join your partner's conversations automatically.
We've listed the full list of changes below and REDACTED the spoilers Larian will occasionally include, which we like to think is to keep us on our toes.
- You can now use the Magic Mirror on hirelings.
- You can now change your name through the Magic Mirror.
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur when unloading or quick-loading a game.
- Fixed an issue causing GPU crashes on PS5 Vulkan.
- Fixed the Guardian Statue repeatedly falling into a chasm, causing the server to stall.
- Fixed a split-screen issue on PS5 that could cause a black screen when listening in on a dialogue.
- Fixed unpreparing spells, not removing their buffs if the spell was upcasted.
- Fixed buffs being removed by unpreparing spells if the buff came from a different source (e.g. a scroll).
- Fixed some character positions and animations breaking if you skip lines in certain dialogues.
- Fixed the previews not working correctly in the Accessibility options.
- Fixed an issue causing Minthara's romance to trigger unreliably.
- Fixed Minthara's dialogue after you REDACTED not triggering properly when you talk to her.
- Fixed the Adamantine Splint Armour, sometimes making your legs transparent.
- Fixed a geometry stretching bug introduced in Hotfix 8 on Vulkan.
- Fixed characters showing up in their underwear in some intimate scenes, even if you have nudity enabled.
- Fixed Feign Death causing an infinite leave–join combat loop in certain circumstances.
- Fixed prices in dialogues not displaying correctly in savegames that were made while the price was on screen.
- Optimised the line-of-sight system for entities with no sight range, like items.